• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Discussion for Unreal Engine 4

Discussion for Unreal Engine 4

• Total voters

Andreson

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 15, 2011
Republic of Moldova
Hello,
Recently we could see the potential of the new UT 4 engine.

The official site holds more information: http://www.unrealengine.com/unreal_engine_4/

I am not a game designer, nor am I associated with modding, but I would to see what do people think about it... Is it any better than UT4? If any future games rise from Tripwire, should they use UT4 or stick with Unreal Engine 3, because for example the team from Eidos Interactive confirmed that the old engine has all the things they need - thus they do not need to develop their game on a new engine.

So, feel free to share your thoughts on this subject...

Looks good, but I think Tripwire will choose to make as much money as they can with UE3 before investing in a whole new engine. The move to UE3 and making of RO2 took them a long time and massive investment of resources, so I'm sure they'll want to keep on that for a while before they make such a huge investment again.

Upvote 0
Looks good, but I think Tripwire will choose to make as much money as they can with UE3 before investing in a whole new engine. The move to UE3 and making of RO2 took them a long time and massive investment of resources, so I'm sure they'll want to keep on that for a while before they make such a huge investment again.

Yeah, and probably would mean they can release even less content. I mean new games are getting much, much more expensive these days to be "up to date with the graphics".

Upvote 0
I, of course, think that it is awesome and looks amazing.

However, I'm a older guy and think that gameplay and content are insurmountably more important than "the grass won't float a half inch above the texture and it'll wave in the wind" type guy.

So, IMO, I'd rather see an RO3 on UE3 that has a ton of content and big and varied maps and vehicles than some tightened bolts at the expense of material.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Looks like it is going to be on par with Cryengine 3 and Frostbite 2, which is a good thing. Cryengine is supposed to be very flexible, not sure how it compares to UE3/4 in that aspect though.

I hope they fix texture pop in though. That is one area UE3 has been behind compared from most games since 2007-08.

Last edited:
Upvote 0