• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Did you guys fix flex or make it worse?

I meet all the requirements of FleX (i7 4770K / 980GTX) and I noticed somewhere around version 1029 that I would get stuttering when everything had worked perfectly before. At first I didn't associate it to any one thing, but it was obvious that it happened a lot when I am decapping trash. It also seemed more prevalent early in the game and became less pronounced as I played on.

Once I figured out that it was FleX, I did a little bit of experimenting and found that for me it was liquids that was causing the issue. With just Gibs enabled, I don't have the stuttering I do when both are enabled. Of course I am still playing around. I don't often make Bloats explode, so I'll have to try doing some of that. Mostly I just decap everything and let it stumble around until it drops.

So to the OP, you aren't imagining it, there is something going on with FleX. Whether it's something "broken", or the developer added more detail / complexity / particles / etc, I don't know. If it's the latter, then it may be that none of use will be able to use it with the new system. If it's something that's been "broken" then hopefully TWI can figure out what they've done and undo it.

@ TWI, I was running the game at the highest detail settings @ 1080p. I also have some advanced stuff enabled via the KF2 Tweaker. However these "special" settings worked just fine before the aforementioned issues with FleX. I monitor nearly everything via Afterburner / RTSS / OSD and my VRAM utilization never exceeds 3200MB, so it's not a case of running out of VRAM. The VRAM usage is this high due to some of the tweaks I've applied with the KF2 Tweaker. Again though this was all the same prior to the problem surfacing. When I am not experiencing the problem, my framerate never goes below 100FPS, most of the time it's between 130 - 110. When the stuttering cuts in, I've seen it drop to as low as 19FPS which is quite jarring. Almost feels like ZED time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So to the OP, you aren't imagining it, there is something going on with FleX. Whether it's something "broken", or the developer added more detail / complexity / particles / etc, I don't know. If it's the latter, then it may be that none of use will be able to use it with the new system. If it's something that's been "broken" then hopefully TWI can figure out what they've done and undo it.

I know I'm not imagining it, I just needed more clarification/people to post in here that they're having the same issue so that if a TWI member bats an eye - specifically Yoshiro - he/she/they(wow look at all these pronouns) can tell 'em "Flex seems to be causing issues for players, put that on the list as a problem to fix and on a high priority as well".

Upvote 0
Just a note, I may have solved my issue with Flex. For some reason my PhysX selection in the NV Control Panel was set to Auto. This might also explain the odd behaviour I was experiencing. Some games Flex seemed to work (particularly after I posted here the first time) and then other times everything seemed to run fine.

Either way, once I set PhysX to my 980, I stopped having drastic drops in framerate, and I think my framerate came up slightly overall.

It's possible that a recent driver update caused my PhysX setting to be set to Auto. I do a "clean install" of the driver each time. Though you would think that nVidia would have the PhysX option to default to the display adapter and not Auto or CPU.

To the OP, this is something you could check. I'm not saying it's going to work for you, or that it's set to Auto in your case, but it doesn't hurt to check.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you guys get constant stutters in versus, turn this off and then it should stop stuttering. That worked for me.

Well that's a fine short term solution, but the purpose of this thread is to let the developers know that something is wrong with Flex.

@ the OP, I may have jumped the gun. I played some more tonight and found it to stutter quite a bit with Gibs and Fluids enabled. I'll be going back to just Gibs until it's fixed.

Upvote 0