• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

DH and MN steamworks integration for Linux & Mac RO

/linuX/gitano

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
germany
Well, as the title says:

Will we see DH and MN with steamworks integration for the upcoming Steam release for Linux as well as in the finally announced RO:OST release for Mac?

That being asked, does the work needed to do this depend on the mod teams or has this to be done by TWI devs?

IMHO, this would be a great addition to the already growing game list on both platforms, as well as a major activity injection for both of these excellent mods as well as in RO:OST itself.

Thanks,
gitano

Last edited:
Well, i have had a further try with the mods on RO:OST for Linux (copying over the files to my Linux partition and launching them via the -mod switch through Steam).

You actually can get into the in-game serverbrowser and refresh the server list, but once i try to connect to a server i get an error message like the one in the screenshot attached.

Actually, i've done this screenshot on RO:OST for windows, so i am not sure if this problem relates to the Linux client and the missing steamworks integration for the mods at all, or if it is related to the current issues RO:OST has in general with the broken server list right now:

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=85457

For both DH and MN i've only been able to see 1 server up for DH and none for MN in RO:OST for Linux. I had the same issue on the windows client and the "verify steam cache" workaround obviously doesn't work on Linux, as both mods have no steamworks integration on Linux, yet.

I really really am happy to see TWI keeping word and releasing RO:OST for Linux and OS-X (You guys ROCK... really hoping to buy you a beer someday :))! Still, i hope the server browser issues get fixed once it gets outside the beta, as it seems to be a real show stopper for all platforms, right now.

As for the mods, if one might be able to launch and play them online through the -mod switch, i am fine with that. Though steamworks integration would be welcome, not at least for both of them to show up in steam store and thus attracting more future players on these platforms.

Cheers!
gitano

Attachments

• Shot00078.jpg
    Shot00078.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
So, i had a few more testing runs yesterday, this time setting up a dedicated RO:OST server on a Linux box in my LAN. Interestingly, connecting to both DH and MN through the Linux client via

Code:
-mod=DarkestHour
and
-mod=MareNostrum

and it's LAN menu was not a problem at all... while i still could see only 1 server up in the server browser of DH and none in MN and still not being able to connect to this one server.
According to gametracker.com, there seem to be 12-15 DH servers online these days, i also tried connecting directly to each of them via:

Code:
steam -applaunch 1200 -mod=DarkestHour +connect <IP>:<PORT>

which resulted in the same error message as above on all servers. Changing the steam_appid.txt to 1280 on the client side didn't make a change at all, i guess it all boils down to the client not connecting as appid 1280 (1230 for MN) which of course gave me the steam message that "this game is not available on this platform at the moment".

My guess is, that both the binary files darkesthourcommon.ncf and darkesthourclient.ncf are responsible for the steamworks integration and launching the client as appid 1280, am i correct?
Of course, i copied both of them (as well as an exact snapshot of my working windows steam library + adding the linux binaries) over to my Linux partition... to no avail.

Well, would be great to know what exact files both mod teams should provide to TWI or Valve in order to make both mods executable on Steam for Linux and later on on OS-X! Thanks!

Cheers,
gitano

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'll just leave this here since the above link didn't work:

Shurek said:
I'll get together with the other guys and see what they think. We are working pretty much full time on FE now, however, if moving DH over to Steamworks also means we can update and patch it directly in the future, then I think we might consider it.

I would also be interested in learning more about what sorts of code we would need to create for TWI in order to make this happen. That would help us along in our decision making process as our programming resources are especially limited.

posted here: http://forums.jackbootgames.com/sho...-integration-for-Linux-amp-Mac-RO-OST-release

Last edited:
Upvote 0