• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Deus Ex: Human Revolution

But how do you tie it in with the origional game? that's the problem..

Deus-Ex had a very different style to it, the whole world looked very much like it does today, just more run-down, and you could see more modern tech was retrofitted to old infrastructure, and i'd say that was it's defining feature, it made a belivable not-too distant future, one in which new tech was employed, ofcourse, but that didn't mean they had the resources to tear down all of New-York city and build a new future-cool city in its place, which probable woulden't happen in the real world either, and the new tech itself looked like something that could be the next step up from our current tech, it was advanced, but never so advanced that it seemed terribly Sci-Fi.
Infact Deus-Ex deliberately held back on the Sci-Fi, they could have given scientists HEV style suits, but they gave them labcoats, they could have added flying cars, but they had helicopters, they could have made advanced synththetic muscle style robotics, but robots where clunky and mechanical, they definately wanted to keep things relatable, something that we could imagine our current tech becomming in a few decades.

But this new Deus-Ex is very different, it's very cyberpunk-renisance, very.. Bladerunner meets The 5'th Element, the tech looks a 100 or more years ahead of Deus-Ex, but it's supposed to happen in Deus-Ex's past, the two do not look connected at all..

Keep in mind that Deus Ex was released in 2000. Today's graphics are a hell of a lot better and there are more possibilities. I think that is one of the reasons why the original Deus Ex world looked similar to our world.

Also, it's made by a different team so it's bound to look different.

IMO it would have been boring if Deus Ex: HR's setting looked exactly like DE's. Thousands of games are set in the current timeframe, but not too many games have a cyberpunk setting, let alone one that looks as good as DE: HR's and blends in with the Renaissance era.

Like Volodnikov explained, it can be a different timeline. With a little bit of imagination you can make sense of it. BTW, the other day I've seen old pictures of Dubai 17 years ago and that city grew dramatically within a very small timeframe.

IMO Deus Ex: HR's style beats the hell out of DE's. It's more original and more artistic.

EDIT: found this yesterday, an older interview, but it seems that this guy knows what he's talking about. Good news is that he is aware of the fact that many hardcore fans around the world hope they won't screw up and that the Rembrandt and Icarus metaphors nicely tie in with the story.

YouTube - deus_ex_human_revolution_gdc10_Interview_Part1

YouTube - deus_ex_human_revolution_gdc10_interview_part2

Few more interviews and a preview:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/eidos-montreals-jean-francois-dugas-interview
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/deus-ex-fan-service-article?page=1
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/deus-ex-human-revolution-preview?page=1

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Keep in mind that Deus Ex was released in 2000. Today's graphics are a hell of a lot better and there are more possibilities. I think that is one of the reasons why the original Deus Ex world looked similar to our world.

That's not the reason, Deus-Ex ran on the Unreal engine, which was plenty capable of pulling off something more Sci-Fi if they had wanted that look, hell, even much older game engines than that have done it well.
No this was a design choice, it followed the backstory of Deus-Ex, the world it portrays is a run-down and poor one, not one that could afford to reinvent itself with splendid new architecture.

IMO it would have been boring if Deus Ex: HR's setting looked exactly like DE's. Thousands of games are set in the current timeframe, but not too many games have a cyberpunk setting, let alone one that looks as good as DE: HR's and blends in with the Renaissance era......http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/deus-ex-human-revolution-preview?page=1

But then why make it "Deus-Ex"? it looks like they've got some good ideas here, and the artstyle IS interesting, it just isen't Deus-Ex, so why try to shoehorn Deus-Ex into it? they could just as well have kicked off a brand new franchise here, it's got a new protagonist, a new look and everything, this did not need to carry the name "Deus-Ex", and indeed, that name and the expectations that come with it can only hinder them, and make us judge the game more harshly than it might deserve.

Upvote 0
But then why make it "Deus-Ex"? it looks like they've got some good ideas here, and the artstyle IS interesting, it just isen't Deus-Ex

See, that's the thing. To me it is Deus Ex. There's Deus Ex all over the trailer (apart from the violent action). Guess it's a personal thing though.

It wouldn't have been half as interesting if they placed DE3 in exactly the same setting as DE. DE3's art style appeals to me a heck of a lot more than DE's. DE3 does cyberpunk better than DE. I know that's like cursing in the church, but that's my view on it.

I'm excited, but I'll reserve my judgements until it's out.

Replaying Deus Ex with the New Vision mod, looks pretty good. :) This time I'll finish it.

Upvote 0
Hmmm I disagree Nimsky, I can see very little original work in the visuals in DX:HR - they're quite clearly taking visuals from well established, well recognised sci-fi.

There are very few visual links between DX and DX:HR - design of architecture, design of vehicles, weaponry, and the visible technology (TV's, computers, robots etc).
These aren't criticisms - but architectually DX:HR has more in common with FEAR or Chaser, the technology (computers etc) and vehicles look like anything you could pick out of a 00's sci fi film, the robots (of what we've seen) look anime inspired, and the visual style is all about Blade Runner.

Now certain aspects of the design will come down to the advances in graphical technology, things looking more realistic, better textures, more polys on character models etc etc.

But there's a limit, I don't think its unreasonable to expect some continuity in design from game to game - if you're sticking to a franchise then surely this must be the case.

There are plenty of visible examples in the screenshots, or things depicted in the trailer, things like...
The main character in DX:HR is more advanced than JCD, and yet JCD was the bees knees 30 years in the future...or that Deus Ex - has cars, just normal cars, Deus Ex:HR as ultra futurisic hybrid looking things that are straight out of any sci-fi film from made during the 00's. I could go on.

I don't want to see DX:HR in the same setting as DX - but I don't want to see franchises being followed without continuity. Like Grobut says the name carries such expectation that it will be judged unfairly.
Not to mention the fact it's cheap, and it's lazy on the part of the industry.

Visual/Art style isn't everything, but we all know damn well it is a considerable portion of how games are marketed, and how they are received by the industry - and with regards other aspects of the game, let's not kid ourselves into thinking that this is going to be anywhere near as good as all the hype it's going to generate.

That said - I'd be extremely surprised if DX:HR was a bad game, Eidos Montreal has a good enough back catalogue - but I will be very surprised if it doesn't have more in common with (like I said) Crysis, FEAR or other sci-fi based FPS than it does it's actual predecessor.

Upvote 0
But then why make it "Deus-Ex"? it looks like they've got some good ideas here, and the artstyle IS interesting, it just isen't Deus-Ex, so why try to shoehorn Deus-Ex into it? they could just as well have kicked off a brand new franchise here, it's got a new protagonist, a new look and everything, this did not need to carry the name "Deus-Ex", and indeed, that name and the expectations that come with it can only hinder them, and make us judge the game more harshly than it might deserve.
I agree. Now I'm not really a fanboy, I liked more of Deus Ex than I didn't like, yet I still didn't like it that much, and I don't really know what constitutes a 'Deus Ex art style'. But I know exactly what you mean.

Upvote 0
Hypothetical dillema: does a good game in its own right become a bad game because it did not follow its titular predecessor?
Is the poor merit of a prequel game predicated by how it fails to avoid inconsistencies with its in-story sequel?
You tell me.

Normally I would say 'yes' (see R6, GR), but this time they came up with a much cooler style... so it depends on the game / devs / personal taste, I would say. I dunno, to me Deus Ex 3 is a very rare exception to the rule.

Upvote 0
@Nimsky: Probably because you're not enough of a fan of the original. Because that's what it's all about, imo.

Red Dead Redemption is another example of an exception, btw. Red Dead Revolver was alright but to be honest, if it wasn't a western game I wouldn't have liked it nearly as much. It filled a void but it wasn't that great. Red Dead Redemption, however, has NOTHING to do with Red Dead Revolver except for the dead-eye targeting system but it's an outstanding game.
So I don't mind them trampling over a franchise in this case because they turned it into something which is not only better than the original in every respect but also really, really awesome in its own right.

Upvote 0
@Nimsky: Probably because you're not enough of a fan of the original. Because that's what it's all about, imo.

Hmmm.... could be. I must admit, the first time I played Deus Ex was about 3 or 4 years ago. Didn't finish it at that time. Now that I'm replaying it I've found a new appreciation for the game. Its stealth gameplay kinda reminds me of Thief and so far all of my takedowns have been non-lethal (police baton ftw). It's a really good game and I'm becoming a fan. :D

I'm curious, what do you think of DE: HR's new direction?

Upvote 0
The main character in DX:HR is more advanced than JCD, and yet JCD was the bees knees 30 years in the future...
JC was a nano augmented agent hence he looked more human. Whereas here you are a mech just like the other agents in deus ex 1. And in no way does this guy look particularly more futuristic than e.g. Navarre, except that due to higher polycount and better textures he looks better.

And just for the record: I finished the game at least 3 times since it came out. I like the universe so much I even finished part 2 twice. In short: I am a fan and still I have absolutely no problem with this new approach towards the Deus Ex world.

Upvote 0
JC was a nano augmented agent hence he looked more human. Whereas here you are a mech just like the other agents in deus ex 1. And in no way does this guy look particularly more futuristic than e.g. Navarre, except that due to higher polycount and better textures he looks better.

I wasn't just referring to the way they look...the technology they show is more advanced.
Robotic arms that turn into guns
Crazy hands
Whatever that crazy force field he used at the end of the trailer was
Invisibility/cloaking - yes I know it's in the first one but JCD was the only person in the game who had it/could have it so I'm not buying that it's been around for 30 years etc etc

Everything is super-futuristic - even down to some daft looking clothing. I'm not saying that it looks bad, just that it's not consistent...

Let's not get our Deus Ex Penii out, I've played Deus Ex end to end more times than I can remember (perhaps too much)...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm curious, what do you think of DE: HR's new direction?
I like it and the way I personally see it it's not that much of a departure from Deus Ex.

The sci-fi gun-ship thing doesn't bother me at all because even that *** (why doesn't the censor allow the three-letter word for donkey?) in Deus Ex 2 had a similar craft, iirc and if you have connections that give you a gun-arm-thing why wouldn't they have the creme de la creme in aircraft too?

The gun-arm-thing goes too far but who knows, it might just be an extremely rare, crazy prototype thing that only you and selected bosses have and that is banned and not produced anymore in Deus Ex. That the police and guards look completely normal seems to confirm this. It's not like it's as common as a toaster.

Just based on the premise of a prequel and the title "human revolution" they get a free-pass on some of the enhancements in my book anyway because they have a valid explanation for these things not showing up in "later" Deus Ex games - man took a step back in technology because their ideals changed. When it was "what else can we do with this wonderful new technology" before (i.e. gun-arm) after the revolution people rather think "doesn't this go too far? Where is the human in this?"

The city-scape and his room looked cool and normal enough (the little holo-globe screams Deus Ex, btw). I see the Blade Runner influence too, but it's not like it's copying it. Lighting is sort of similar but since it's (sci-fi-based) neo-noir too some similarities are to be expected.
I'm also fine with the huge screens. Just look at Times Square today. No one said that they'll be everywhere. They might just as well be as isolated as Times Square (at least I didn't see any in the other city-scape shots).

There is too much action going on in the combat scenes but a) it's not a gameplay trailer so I'll reserve judgment on this until I see what the game is like and b) you could go rambo in the other Deus Ex games and just shoot people too. Seems to me that the gun-arm thing with its different methods of taking out people is at least a step up from chasing someone with a single-attack melee weapon and hitting them repeatedly.
But as I said, as far as gameplay goes I won't comment until I see gameplay.

So far the game can still turn out really good or not. Who knows? I certainly don't.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There's no deying that the artstyle is pleasing to the eye, it is, and really my only problem with it is that it does not remind me of Deus-Ex, other than that it's like a prettier Bladerunner, which is a very nice look.

But all of this just screams "i am the reboot of a dormant franchise", and that gives me clammy hands, because reboots rarely work out very well, and especially when it's not made by the same people (or rather, they don't work out very well for fans, newcommers to the franchise will take it at face value).

I'm not going to proclaim that the sky is falling untill i know more about the game, all we've got right now are artsy CGI teasers, and that's just not enough substance to form an educated opinion, but what i am seeing makes me worry that this is a reboot and a reinvention of Deus-Ex, and not a direct successor, and that's not something i'm interested in, but i hope i'm wrong, i hope it just has a more spiffy paintjob and nothing else (that i can deal with, even if it does conflict with the continuity a bit).

Upvote 0
I have to agree that the new looks arent exactly Deus Ex.
Deus Ex had a very, very poor world controlled by a rich government controlled by several splinter groups, and all that money was being poured into creating better soldiers instead of infrastructure etc.

If this new game follows up to that, i cant see how they would have the money to make those nanotech things even more advanced, while also upgrading the cities etc.
So it's kind of a continuity break.

And at last i'd say that you can be sci-fi while still having a pretty realistic looking world, it does not require a whole other world design to say 'futuristic'.

Upvote 0
Let's not get our Deus Ex Penii out, I've played Deus Ex end to end more times than I can remember (perhaps too much)...
It's not about Penises, I was merely challenging whoever said the new crowd will love the new style whereas old fans won't. I like this style. Not everyone is that overprotective with what he experienced in the past. If the universe of Human Revolution would be more like todays world + mechs, I'd be fine with that too. But you have to give the devs some liberty, that's my idea. The feeling and message they want to portray with their game (the "Final Renaissance") will certainly benefit a lot from the artistic style they chose. It will work a lot better than it would with the world looking like today.

As for the gun arm: I'll only say skull gun for Gunther. While it wasn't in the game itself, it sounded like it was technically possible within the world.

I know many think that once a game world is defined everything should be canon, but I simply disagree. Other devs and artists do have the right to redefine things to an extent. They probably would've made a successor anyways if it wasn't for DX2 kind of wrecking the Deus Ex universe. DX2 was good with the continuity, but a mediocre addition to the game world (at best). So vice versa seems entirely plausible to me.

Warcraft III made the Warcraft universe cartooney, I didn't like that, because it doesn't appeal to me visually. But I also know it helped the universe get away a bit from you everyday Orcs vs. Humans fantasy world.

Last edited:
Upvote 0