• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Demoman vs core classes

grazr

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 14, 2010
Anyone else feeling that the demoman is a little redundant?

I like to play demoman because blowing up fleshy things is fun... especially as an alternative to the other samey classes (bar fire bug). But what's not fun is expending more money per kill than the bounty provides, to the point where it's only viable to play the class in the last 2 waves.

I understand that the demo is supposed to be a support class. But he can't even kill mid-elite zed's in 1 shot. It's a grenade for christ sakes and it costs a lot. You would have thought you'd get more punch for your money. 2 grenades for a gorefast? Seriously?

Any other class can clear a room and gain a comfortable profit in doing so, especially the sniper. But the demoman usually only gets time to soften up zeds only then to get the kill stolen from him by an insta-1-shot by a sniper; which would have killed the zed anyway. My problem lies in the fact that whilst damage dealing is fine, when your ammo costs so much and you carry so little it's hard to sustain the class or even tech your weapons properly. It's better just to play sniper for half the rounds and then switch out. Which as a game designer just strikes me as broken. It's pointless playing demo when you're simply damage dealing and taking team donations end-round; even more pointless when you're playing to see gibs fly about and can only do that to falling corpses who's bounties are already acquired by their respective killer.

Any other class can do the demo's job cleaner, cheaper, and still have the capacity to defend themselves against elites; support, sniper and for the most part mr rambo can kill a scrake/fp without even breaking a sweat. Whilst the demoman is left to hoping he saved up enough pipes for any scrake or fp's he didn't anticipate.

So far the demo's primary function is spamming pipes in small corridor maps like office and biotics lab. Even use of the LAW against the patty is a questionable gameplay tactic if not amusing. Clearing out zed's is just not a necassery task when a support can take out 4 zed's with a single shotgun blast; and have 7 more there-after (plus AA12 if he's money managed well).

I was provoked into posting this as i have recently discovered that a level 4 demo can no longer 1 shot sirens, which was one of the most handy and satisfying achievements in a round of KF. Short of making an FP backflip 5 times and land in a tree from a glancing pipe detination.

The class is just full of catches and difficulties that although placed there for balance/realism simply make him unpleasent to play as, at least until level 6.

If anything they just need to boost the M79 damage slightly, since, afterall, it is a one shot weapon. I only keep it with the M36 because the M36 runs out of ammo easily sot hose other 25 grenades are a god send. Of course, it's a common tactic to equip a shotgun for defence, but it's no AA12 and has limited defencive capacity, if you're swamped as a demo with 8 shotguns shells at hand, speaking as a primary support class player, that'll not help you any better and only prevent you from picking up your M36 in the next spawn wave.

Long reload times, low damage dealing, low self defense capabilities, AoE that is redundant to support penetration and grenades carried by all classes, low ammo capacity, high ammo cost, high weapon cost. The only benefit is cheap pipes and high pipe capacity, but even then, as a sniper, i can normally afford 12-15 pipes by round 7, at 800 each, let alone <100.

When ever i think about going demo, i just find myself deducing that i can increase survival rates by playing another class.

Does anyone else agree? I'm surprised i couldn't already find a thread about this.

Reactions: Vaecrius
Thank you for posting what I've wanted to say for a long time.
Any other class can do the demo's job cleaner, cheaper, and still have the capacity to defend themselves against elites; support, sniper and for the most part mr rambo can kill a scrake/fp without even breaking a sweat. Whilst the demoman is left to hoping he saved up enough pipes for any scrake or fp's he didn't anticipate.

What aggravates me is that on many, may games I see this pattern:

1. We're having fun.
2. Guy runs up begging for money.
3. We give him money.
4. I notice he's demo.
5. And we gave him a little too much money.
6a. We struggle terribly, he blows himself up and ragequits.
6b. The rest of the game is beeps and smoke until a seen-too-late fleshpound/scrake/siren combo kills us all.

A good demo can serve the team very well, but often the act of playing demo feels like a prisoner's dilemma...

Upvote 0
... you know what that means? The demo man sucks..

When I play the demo man, I almost never take a shot unless the following occurs..

- Sharp shooter fails to kill flesh pound and accidentally rages the flesh pound..
- Sirens closing in on team mate and doesn't appear to be shot at
- Berserker's getting stomped by crawlers
- MAssive amounts of zeds piling up and are closing in on team mates..
- The patriarch spawned at this point it's just every man for himself so spam them rockets..
- I slipped and fell on my keyboard..

What the demoman should never do..

- shoot at already scorched zombies.. unless it fits in to the many scenarios above
- fire when the amount of possible kill is less than 7-10
- trying to rage an FP before the crossbow user or Sharpshooter takes the first shot
- Stop midway in taking out a scrake.. Why on earth would you do that? Just so you can force it to charge?
- Buy a Law

Upvote 0
As a demo you can't kill the stronger specimens with one grenade because you can't do headshots like most classes can. However the grenade stuns at least husks and sirens and the area damage kills the smaller ones around it. Even with m79 most of the time you can shoot once and stun the specimen and shoot again to kill it so I don't see a problem there. With m32 you can kill most specimens very quickly.

I almost never run out of ammo because I save the grenades for groups of 3-4 specimens or if I have to kill a big one quickly. Can't say I have noticed the grenade cost being too high, I always have money to refill and buy pipes.

If used correctly I think demolitions is the second best class after sharpshooter because it's able to kill the big ones but also very devastating against groups of smaller specimens.

Upvote 0
I noticed some mistakes, and they make me sad :(

M32, not M36. That's a pretty deliberate mistake.

Your point about bounty is now redundant with the new damage-based monetary system.

Sharpshooter, not sniper. This one is a pretty basic concept, it's one of the most used terms i can think of.

*necessary.

*Perk, not class.

While the Demolitions is an acquired taste, as Vae said, a good demo is great, a bad demo is a nightmare.

If you can focus on large crowds and not on lone specimens with grenades, then there's some extra grenades right there. Remember, you have a 9mm and knife for a reason. Demo is good for setting up a defence, and like you said, bad against the tough ones. However the demo can dish out some nice damage on the FP with the M32, provided he's not the only doing so; FPs will go down easily.

I would have to beg to differ about support killing the Scrakes and Fleshpounds without breaking a sweat; provided they're not using an Xbow/AA12 combo.

But i have to agree with you on Shapshooter being the best perk for any situation with just about any Sharpshooter-weapon loadout.
The extremely low cost of ammo put against the immense amount of money successful kills make isn't exactly balanced. Being able to rack up thousands of pounds doing everyone's job as good or better than them isn't right.

Upvote 0
Well if the current beta change to the Xbow goes through Demos are going to be your best friend for assisting with FP kills. 6 shots from an M32 will decimate everything around the FP and deal a hefty amount of damage.

You act like the Demo is supposed to be able to hold his own in a crowd. The demo is a team perk. Unlike Sharpshooters or Zerkers who can wander off alone and handle most things that come there way (within reason) the Demo cannot. He deals high damage to FPs, can kill a small horde in a couple of shots and stuns Gorefasts and Husks.

Upvote 0
1. We're having fun.
2. Guy runs up begging for money.
3. We give him money.
4. I notice he's demo.
5. And we gave him a little too much money.
6a. We struggle terribly, he blows himself up and ragequits.
6b. The rest of the game is beeps and smoke until a seen-too-late fleshpound/scrake/siren combo kills us all.

Story of my life.

Anyway, there's no longer such thing as kill-stealing with the new money system. I don't entirely disagree with you, but you shouldn't be targeting single Gorefasts or single anything really. Demo can do pretty decent damage to FPs - a well-placed Demo pipe bomb has saved my *** more than once.

Upvote 0
There's no need to be pedantic, i was only using short terms, the important thing is that you understand what i'm refering to; also i happened to write this late at night, so apologies for any typos, it happens.

I guess what i expect is if i fire a grenade into a group of 4 gorefast's if i at least killed the gorefast that took a direct hit it would be nice. It just strikes me as odd as a grenade is effectively ~50 rounds plus shock trauma applied in an AoE, if 5 buckshot can cake out a gorefast, why can't something that would literally blow your limbs clean off in addition to ripping open your chest cavity.

It's not just an aesthetic arguement though. It's a question of balance against other classes. Support, sniper and commando have a safer chance of survival, making it a more sensible investment, rarely issued with being overwhelmed if one remains alert and aware of ones surroundings... if you look at it mathematically, demolitions has a lot of disadvantages for what he is/does compared to his affectiveness, which itself is situational per map.

I only play demo because i enjoy watching stuff explode, but of the 4 classes i've so far leveled to level 6, this class has been the most problematic and frustrating to play. Harder to earn money, harder to tech weapons when expending majority of ammo, lacking capacity to acquire kills (which is handy for saving team mates and ones self even if you do acquire money from damage).

Obviously you need to be a team player, but that said, a team doesn't need a demoman. For the reasons i've stated in the OP. So what's the point? A sniper can solo an entire 6 man wave; support, commando and firebug have no issues dealing with crowd control, it just seems like a broken "perk" that's just there because it fills a niche.

Upvote 0