• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Degrading performance

Diavolo222

Aug 18, 2013
Ok, so it's been some time now and I had become a bit complacent but I am actually really curious about this now.

I have 8GB of RAM, i5 4430 and a GTX 660. When I first started playing Rising Storm for example, I could get very good 45-60+ fps and get very smooth gameplay on full ultra. For some reason, the more time went by the less fps I got. Now, while I'm exactly the opposite of someone who cares about mega-shiny graphics, I'm a bit confused as to why this is happening.

I'm now "relegated" to playing with some things on medium and some on low.

The game has been reinstalled and put on a fresh windows 8.1 recently and it's the same by the way.
If anybody has any clue whatsoever pls share.

If all Drivers are the latest i would look on how many processes are currently used. Most users have much of autoupdates enabled and windows services noone needs. Otherwise have you ever checked your cooler units of the cpu and the gpu? I mean pls look at them and clean the fans and cooling unit behind the fans. When they are full of dust it makes sense what you discribed cause they can`t breath and the they become hotter and hotter which slowers down the performance. You should clean them every half year or they will broke one day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok, so it's been some time now and I had become a bit complacent but I am actually really curious about this now.

I have 8GB of RAM, i5 4430 and a GTX 660. When I first started playing Rising Storm for example, I could get very good 45-60+ fps and get very smooth gameplay on full ultra. For some reason, the more time went by the less fps I got. Now, while I'm exactly the opposite of someone who cares about mega-shiny graphics, I'm a bit confused as to why this is happening.

I'm now "relegated" to playing with some things on medium and some on low.

The game has been reinstalled and put on a fresh windows 8.1 recently and it's the same by the way.
If anybody has any clue whatsoever pls share.

I remember at one moment ro2 have been update and since the amount of fps is realy related to the amount of player on the server.

I never get any explanation about that.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty decent with computers, so temps and dust and stuff like that is not the problem. I also keep my computer as light as possible in terms of programs and things running. I mean, when I installed Rising Storm on Windows 7 the computer hadnt been formatted for quite a while and it ran beautifully. 8.1 is pretty recently installed.

The only thing that eats up memory and CPU and stuff when I play is RO2. My CPU doesnt get past 60-62 degrees while in game and since RO2 doesnt punish GPUs like Metro Last Light or smth, it barely gets past 55C ( I would get 60-62 max in metro ).

Also, about autoupdates and windows services. Care to be more specific?

Upvote 0
I dont know about Win 8.1, but Win 7 had major issues with
svchost.exe (LocalServiceAnd NoImpersonator), wich AFAIK is related to windows update, starting to eat up the CPU and RAM whilst playing certain games online. Only solution was to block the process, which kinda broke auto-updates for windows.

Upvote 0