• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Deep Blue Z Beta: Objectives are actually kinda bad

flashn00b

Grizzled Veteran
  • Feb 1, 2011
    Considering the excruciatingly long time to kill things with the Bombardier, and how few sources of EMP damage there are, I don't think it's a surprise that I haven't seen any praise for the new objectives. If anything, I'm of the opinion that they're bad enough that if Tripwire and Saber were to bring back the RNG objectives of old, I won't ever complain about them ever again.

Can't argue with that. When I saw that we're tasked with tazing 2500 (!!) zeds, and kill 1500 zeds with only the Bombardier out of all things... I was really wondering if they got fed up with people completing everything in a single weekend.

But while I'm not against challenges, this is just pure grinding. And while some RPG enthusiasts are not against it, I'm personally really annoyed by them.

On the flipside, we still have the age-old objectives of completing the weekly on the new map and reach wave 15 on Endless... the same objectives we've had with each update for more than two years.

Sure, we're still rewarded with a unique item... But why bother at that point?

Upvote 0
    I don't think it's a surprise that I haven't seen any praise for the new objectives.
    I'm not going to defend them per se because they are fairly grindy, but they're certainly comparatively better than "Kill Matriarch 10 times" from one of the previous events, since even if you only played on Short Normal games she still has to spawn 10 times in the first place and that's a 1/5 chance. I will say that no matter what they put in for objectives, there will always be complaints.

I certainly wouldn't complain if the amount of kills/afflictions needed were cut by half or something like that, but there you have it. It doesn't affect me much since I personally don't really care about the seasonal skins.

if Tripwire and Saber were to bring back the RNG objectives of old, I won't ever complain about them ever again.
    🤨

I was really wondering if they got fed up with people completing everything in a single weekend.
    The objectives aren't meant to be done in a single fell swoop; they're meant to be accomplished over the entire duration of an event. (Technically even longer if you include the Beta testing, which I do.) Marketing 101 is that the longer it takes to complete the objectives, the longer you're playing the game, the better it looks on metrics, etc.

Upvote 0
    The objectives aren't meant to be done in a single fell swoop; they're meant to be accomplished over the entire duration of an event. (Technically even longer if you include the Beta testing, which I do.) Marketing 101 is that the longer it takes to complete the objectives, the longer you're playing the game, the better it looks on metrics, etc.

Oh obviously, hence my remark. I remember than for a solid year or more after they began to have regular update schedules and canvas, most objectives weren't that hard or time consuming. Hence why I perfectly recall myself coming back to KF2 every three months to try out the new stuff, try to complete the season's objectives and then wait for the next update to drop. It usually didn't take more than a couple of days.

Upvote 0
    These objectives are meant to be done over time. The Seasonal event happens over months. Previously we have had complaints that objects were too easy to breeze through. Some were complaining that they can be done in one 15-wave endless match and would rather have to work more at it throughout the season.

I think we struggle to make everyone happy with objectives because the feedback we get about them varies so much.

Upvote 0
    I think we struggle to make everyone happy with objectives because the feedback we get about them varies so much.
    I completely understand how it feels like there's no winning. On the one hand you have people trying to rush the latest cosmetic and anything standing in the way of that is automatically bad. Then there's the others who just say the update has no content because they were able to rush the latest seasonal reward.

Reactions: Aleflippy
    Upvote 0
    These objectives are meant to be done over time. The Seasonal event happens over months. Previously we have had complaints that objects were too easy to breeze through. Some were complaining that they can be done in one 15-wave endless match and would rather have to work more at it throughout the season.

I concur that it seems like a losing battle either way, and I don't want to make you feel like the community is impossible to please... It's a certainty that you cannot please everyone, however.
    On a personal level, as I've said earlier (I think?), I'd be ok with "challenges". So nothing that's too reliant on pure luck, nor needing pure grinding. But really something that would test your skills. I remember some achievements from the first game, like "killing four zeds with a single boomstick shell" or "kill two scrakes using the chainsaw in a single wave"... I believe that's the type of stuff I'd like to see again. Stuff that cannot be completed without much thought, just by playing over and over again... But instead, objectives that require you to step out of your comfort zone, maybe requiring friends to accomplish even. Hell, I remember something utterly ridiculous from one of the events of the first Killing Floor... "Land the killing blow on a Fleshpound with your knife". That's super stupid, but I love it ! You obviously cannot shank a Fleshpound forever, you'll die before he does. But you cannot soften him up too hard either : he'll die before you pull out your knife ! It's the kind of silly objective you'd never think of doing outside the achievement, but it's fun trying to come up with creative ideas to succeed.

Upvote 0