• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PC Deditacted server*"Rubberband (Bounce-freeze) Lag", because workshop.

Flammable4444

Jun 3, 2015
Title of the forum Thread - Deditacted server "Rubberband (Bounce-freeze) Lag", because workshop.

Category: Server/Workshop

Reproducibility: Always

Summary: If your deditacted server conntected to workshop to download maps, it will lagg as hell

Description: So after latest (DAR) update my deditacted server started to lagg as hell. here is example, it's the first time i encounter this bug on stream, since i did not stream or play, since i was messing arround to find a reason why is this happening.

https://youtu.be/biyHuHHuGJE

And the reason is connections to workshop!
If you remove DownloadManagers=OnlineSubsystemSteamworks.SteamWo rkshopDownload from [IpDrv.TcpNetDriver] and remove all subscribed items, laggs will be gone. If you play default map but server still will be connected to workshop this laggs will happen again. It's happening almost every 5 minutes, lagg like this, so you know, it's literally unblayable. Why do i think it's workshop? Because i have no problems at all when all connections to workshop is gone, even if i play custom map with my friends who already downloaded it, everything is ok when you are not connected to workshop.

Please fix connections to workshop, I'm not the only one who have this problem, here is example of other person having problem like this.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/23209...4337789582431/
And as described in discussion above it happens more often when new player join or trader time is going on.
It's been five days since this bug happened, and i'm very dissapointed about this update, because before update we were playing custom maps, my server have like 180 subscribtions to workshop maps, and everythign were fine, no such laggs at all.

Online/Offline: Online.

Last edited:
There are big 5+sec lags happening often now, and often you will be redirected to the home menu. I initialy thought it was my server only so i uninstalled it and did not bother to reinstal it so far, but it happens a lot on other servers too.

Definitly the last update broke something.

PS : my server is not hosted on the PC i game on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flammable4444
Upvote 0
Kittenmittens;n2317247 said:
We are looking into this. Seems like it's possible a Steam client update changed something.

Good to know that developers aware about this problem. Hopefully you will fix it somehow.

omano;n2317251 said:
Someone has pointed out that server running on same machine as the game has problems, unless you close steam, start server, and then start Steam later.

I have no problem on pure dedicated server on remote machine on my side.

I also was recommended to run server before game and steam client, or run it on other machine, but it did not worked out for me.

I checked it several times, when server is running without workshop subscriptions, not a single lagg happens. The lagg that was shown in the video is HUGE laggs, this one is rare but still happening, but there is also micro-laggs, it's the same but for less then a second, and it happens often. But again, no workshop subscriptions, everything is ok! And before latest update i was always running server and game on same PC, i had no promlebs a t a l l. Right now it's a chose:

1)Play only default maps, and dont subscribe your server to workshop items.
2)Play any maps but with ppl who already downloaded them and you dont need to subscribe your server to workshop items.
3)Tolerate all this micro laggs, and soothe the players by explaining to them that it's not your fault.

And right now i'm playing with laggs... I'v played default maps about 10 times each and they are booring to me. And then it's play with laggs or dont play at all. Right now the best option is wait for developers to fix it and discuss it in forum, so ppl will understand why laggs happen to them, and they will not have to mess arround for few days removing and reinstalling their server from scratch like i did several times. (because it took me 5 days to findout that the reason of laggs is workshop)

Upvote 0
omano;n2317286 said:
I tried to check but It seems I don't have the disk activity problem on my side on Linux. You all run windows servers right?

Me - yes, others - probably yeah, windows. The thing is, all workshop items already downloaded.

Ther are in ?/KF2_1062_server_2018\KFGame\Cache
And in ?/KF2_1062_server_2018\Binaries\Win64\steamapps\workshop\content\232090

And already downloaded to user's cache, it's not about disk, disk is fine, the fact that it's connected to workshop. It was lagging even when i set password on my server and played alone, with all maps i already had long time ago.

Upvote 0
zachjd: Steam client update from March 21st broke dedicated servers subscribed to Workshop maps if the server is launched while the Steam client is running. You'll have to launch the server before the client now or your server will now experience massive lag.

Reyson Fox: Well TWI support has told me finally they are investigating but have nothing more able to help at this time...so basically mean they have no clue.
So as for your suggestion guys what should I do? Should I remove all the cache / input ini? Or just completely erase and start over? Because all other solutions have minimized it but I cannot get rid of this stutter/bounce lag. And that makes it almost a month now since the final release update out of the beta? Idk. Because it seems those I know who have a server seem to be working just fine and mine has been thrown under the bus and so far solutions above have no helped.

I gotta say, that everytime I'm going to play some KF2, i restart my PC, launch server, launch steam, launch kf2 and then I'm playing. And you know, it does help, i almost dont see laggs at all, it might be wrong and still laggy, but i cant even notice this. However, if i launch steam or game, and then launch server, I'm getting massive laggs like before. So my suggestion is the same zachjd suggested, but i also restart PC. I dont thing it's nessesery, but i launch server 1 or 2 times a day and it's stay online for a long time, so it's ok for me. Hopefully one day this laggs will be gone, and we wont have to first launch server, then steam then game.

Upvote 0
Not sure if I'm having the same issue on my Linux servers 'cause it randomly happens, lag is much more severe that it almost always results in full wipe (it won't return to normal after a short while like in the video above) and that it won't stop happening on that server until map restart. Will try to remove all the workshop stuff to see if it works fine. Any ideas on troubleshooting this would be appreciated

Upvote 0
Monitor your server resources and see what happens during these 'lags'. There are plenty of tools to do that, for example run tools like HTOP to monitor CPU and memory, IOTOP to monitor disk usage, and something else to monitor the network I don't recall a tool name right now but as we say, google is your friend :D

You should be able to see if something spikes somewhere or if you have really high usage of something that should not be that high.

I run Linux servers with workshop, no problems detected on servers. Maybe you simply have a low end machine that struggles to handle the server?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi, we are looking for more info on this, if possible.

We are looking for:
  • Server logs when lag is experienced State of the server when lag occurs - (i.e. Map transition, in game, players join, etc.)
  • How many workshop maps are added to the server that is experiencing lag.
  • The list of maps added to the server.
  • Any or all circumstantial data that might help us better investigate (i.e. 100% repro steps if possible).
  • Any logs from the beta as they may be helpful
Thank you.

Upvote 0
I have been having this occur on a windows box which is operated as a file and game server, no client side games are run on it. I have identified that the hard drive reading load at 100% only occurs if I have an instance of the Steam client open on the box prior to starting the server.

I am currently running 29 custom maps from the workshop (with no non-workshop customs installed).

If the Steam client is not running, then it takes just over 13 seconds to check for updates to these 29 maps (I'm assuming the numbers on the left of the log file are seconds). It then waits for approximately 47 seconds to initiate another check for updates, rinse and repeat.

If the Steam client is running before starting the server, then the checks for updates to the same 29 maps takes somewhere in the ballpark of 190-206 seconds, and reads the common drive, which windows, the steam client and the game are installed on, constantly with high load, only dipping slightly as it moves onto the next map. It can then vary between 5 seconds and 50 seconds before it re-commences another check for updates; again rinse and repeat.

I've posted some logs below, although these are only showing the update checks. I've previously established the lag coincides with the 100% hard drive activity caused by the update checks.

Log without steam client started first: https://pastebin.com/BWnVrq51

Log with steam client started first: https://pastebin.com/1CA4zuZw

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
I've posted about this issue here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.c...berbanding-lag

I initially though the issue is due to server lag (server "can't keep up" and the out of sync got out of hand) but have ruled it out. I upgraded the server and it still happens. Would like to report that this still always happen once the server has been running for up to 2 days without restart. Restarting everyday does help but can only do so much.
  • Server logs when lag is experienced State of the server when lag occurs - (i.e. Map transition, in game, players join, etc.)
None of the above. Just happens very randomly
  • How many workshop maps are added to the server that is experiencing lag.
about 72 maps + the TW MaxPlayers mutator. Custom player scoreboard also added but not added to mutator list
  • The list of maps added to the server.
Code:
KF-Skyline
KF-KillZone
KF-KillingPool
KF-Mario_64_Remastered
KF-Defence_Thyself_Day
KF-China_Temple_NoScripts
KF-Kokiri_Forest
KF-DeepingWall
KF-Verticality
KF-Drone
KF-IceArena
KF-CS_Italy
KF-CSGO_Assault
KF-All_Big
KF-HorzineArenaRMEdition
KF-BoxWithoutHope-B5
KF-ZedsDiner
KF-Corridor
KF-BridgeHoldout
KF-HangmansBridge
KF-Montainus
KF-DevaStation2017
KF-Subduction
KF-WaterOnMars
KF-CytologyLab
KF-NewCubeRemakeFinalV1
KF-Sahara2
KF-VolterCastle
KF-Jaywalkers_Tunnel
KF-Museum
KF-finlandwinterland
KF-GrooveYard
KF-Arid_Zedlands
KF-Asgard
KF-CarillonHamletB1
KF-PyramidDefense
KF-Apex
KF-SkadiHillSide
KF-MiddleOfNowhere
KF-SLS-Happy_Hour-Beta41
KF-YuletideTown
KF-Favela2B3
KF-NachtDerUntoten
KF-HotelZed
KF-ZedHarvest
KF-Abyss
KF-ShoppingSpree
KF-BikiniAtoll
KF-Ashes
KF-Killhouse
KF-ElAnexo
KF-Shipment
KF-Noppo
KF-Entryway
KF-MountainPass_zfix
KF-ClubTux
KF-CityBlockade
KF-Nightclub
KF-City17
KF-WinterFarm
KF-Fy_Simpsons
KF-SpaceportPerdition
KF-Rooftop
KF-Ravenholm
KF-SlipgateComplex
KF-Voynich
KF-Cell_Alpha
KF-Homestead
KF-ClubConfession
KF-Dystopia2029
KF-KF1_Manor
KF-KF1_West_London
KF-KF1_Foundry
KF-KF1_Farm
KF-ClassicBioticsLab
KF-Offices
  • Any or all circumstantial data that might help us better investigate (i.e. 100% repro steps if possible).
Would gladly provide if possible
  • Any logs from the beta as they may be helpful
These lines always appear when it happen:
Code:
[225323.01] DevNet: Rejected unwanted function ServerPlayDryFireSound in KFWeap_AssaultRifle_Medic kf-skyline.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.KFWeap_AssaultRifle_Medic_109
[225323.01] DevNet: Rejected unwanted function ServerSendToReload in KFWeap_AssaultRifle_Medic kf-skyline.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.KFWeap_AssaultRifle_Medic_109
[225323.01] DevNet: Rejected unwanted function ServerStopFire in KFWeap_AssaultRifle_Medic kf-skyline.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.KFWeap_AssaultRifle_Medic_109
[225323.01] DevNet: Rejected unwanted function ServerSyncReload in KFWeap_AssaultRifle_Medic kf-skyline.TheWorld:PersistentLevel.KFWeap_AssaultRifle_Medic_109
[225323.72] DevNet: IpNetDriverSteamworks_16 Reliable packets blocked for 30.000000 seconds (30.019531)
[225324.51] DevNet: NotifyAcceptingConnection: Server TheWorld accept
[225327.02] DevNet: NotifyAcceptingConnection: Server TheWorld accept
[225333.16] DevNet: IpNetDriverSteamworks_16 Reliable packets blocked for 30.000000 seconds (30.013672)
[225333.72] DevNet: NotifyAcceptingConnection: Server TheWorld accept
[225333.72] DevNet: NotifyAcceptingChannel Control 0 server World kf-skyline.TheWorld: Accepted
[225333.72] DevNet: Remote platform is 1
[225341.87] DevNet: NotifyAcceptingConnection: Server TheWorld accept
[225358.13] DevNet: IpNetDriverSteamworks_16 Reliable packets blocked for 30.000000 seconds (30.031250)
[225363.96] DevNet: IpNetDriverSteamworks_16 Connection timed out after 200.000000 seconds (200.007812)
[225363.96] DevNet: IpNetDriverSteamworks_16 Connection state = 3
[225377.34] DevNet: IpNetDriverSteamworks_16 Connection timed out after 200.000000 seconds (200.033203)
[225377.34] DevNet: IpNetDriverSteamworks_16 Connection state = 3
[225377.65] DevNet: IpNetDriverSteamworks_16 Connection timed out after 30.000000 seconds (30.005859)
[225377.65] DevNet: IpNetDriverSteamworks_16 Connection state = 3
[225382.80] DevNet: IpNetDriverSteamworks_16 Connection timed out after 200.000000 seconds (200.027344)
I can only provide the full log privately as many sensitive details are included

Please add me on steam if you want a fast response: https://steamcommunity.com/id/Vyrnach

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@Vyrnach @Thermal Ions @Arkadeivitch
So to clarify some of these issues you guys are reporting,

Does anyone have any issues when not running any mods on their servers? Are the servers on the same machine ? Is the server being launched before the client?

We only officially support 6 players for Survival/Endless / Weekly and 12 players for VS. Extending the max players beyond this via TW MaxPlayers mutator will certainly add a fair bit of latency to game play as they weren't built to support that many players. Additionally, that many workshop maps could cause problems on top of it if player's joining then have to pull down an optimized community map on load putting additional strain on the the server depending on their connection quality

This line points to the lag with players timing out on the connection:
[225377.34] DevNet: IpNetDriverSteamworks_16 Connection timed out after 200.000000 seconds (200.033203)

We can certainly help address issues if they are experienced on stock servers but the mutators plus workshop maps add too many unofficial variables to the mix.

So, can you guys test out if the issues persist with no mods installed. Custom maps are fine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Kittenmittens, I am running my server at home on an Intel NUC i3 dedicated computer.
We use the server to play with friends and whoever wants to join us.

The network operator I am using at home is Hyperoptic, with 150mbs symmetric connection, ping always below 10ms and static IP address.
7592151090.png

The server doesn't have any mod. I have installed custom maps using a "Server Tool" provided by user Darkdks, version 1.08. It works really well as it avoids mistakes or things to be forgotten when adding custom maps.

The server works fine, but especially with some custom maps I noticed exactly the problem that has been reported here.

Some maps are worse than others. For example, there is a custom map called "WaterOnMars" and that seems to be the worst.
The problem occurs when the zombies are spawning, you can literally see the ping of all users going up. When you finish the round, the ping of everyone goes back down.

I checked the resource used on the NUC computer and the processor is working at 15% max, the RAM is not full (about 60% used) and it is just doing fine essentially.

Another note, if it can be useful: sometime we play another custom map called "KillingPool" in endless mode, and from the browser interface of the server I add more players (you can add up to 12 in total, despite the server showing still 6 on the game dashboard). With that map and even more players, it almost never appears to lag.

If I can help with some logs I will, no problem.

Cheers
Alex

Last edited:
Upvote 0