• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Day Z, a zombie survival mod for ARMA2

I don't like the new temperature feature, it's just taking it too far. Eating/drinking is fine, it didn't really bother as it encouraged exploration and eating also has a healing element so rewards outweight the burden.

Temperature/getting infection however is just unavoidable. It encourages staying indoors, makes journey through woods dangerous. Woods take precious slots in your inventory, you have to waste time at your campfire to warm up, and there is no other extra to it. It's a burden for players without any benefit. Players don't even start with matches, even if they find one, they have to find wood.

Though, these are my initial impressions. This whole infection thing may affect the gameplay in new ways. Bandits will have a hardtime camping, coughing may prove excellent finding other players, heck it may even reduce the amount of people reaching NW airfield area(I sort of claimed an area on the airfield).

Still, I appreciate Rocket trying different things. I'm sure he'll get this working without angering the hardcore survivalists and casuals.

I haven't played the update but I'm not too excited about being penalized for traveling in the woods. Or having to make a fire and show everyone where I am to get warm, considering making a fire anywhere but in a giant open area is impossible for me.

I didn't know Chernarus was such a cold place.

Upvote 0
Having a bad dayZ here, Z's have got me 3 times, thats not really a problem, but I've been killed by just about every muver*ucker who joined the server, I'm not talking about the regulars who play in groups/together, or even bandits (bless their wooly cotton socks) my gawd, he fixed the Zombie spawn error and now the kids have got bored again.

I havn't even had time to catch a cold, let alone find some antibiotics, anybody found some already ?

Oh well, better luck next time...

Upvote 0
Just had a massive firefight at the NW airfield on a 25 players server. I was on my 4th day, having started from Chernogorsk, went to NW airfield, then to NE airfield, went down along the coast and came back to NW airfield again.

I joined the server thinking small player numbers will provide a safe experience at the airfield, oh I was so wrong. I was looting the northern barracks and waiting for a friend to make his way from the coast when all of a sudden some guy starts shooting zombies near the barracks. I quickly get out and observe the entrance, he goes in and starts grabbing the leftover stuff.

I don't know why but all of a sudden I think of killing him. He has pretty decent gear, and my friend will be here any minute. He could use some head start. . I know I shouldn't do it, but my greedy side is putting a good fight. It's a great way to get quick stuff, but I'll waste the hours he put in that character and I know it's a pretty bad feeling when you lose your stuff.

My friend encourages me, he's been a killer ever since he got murdered in his first DayZ hour. He says I don't have to be the good guy this time, this is not a game of good and bad.

Though, I've been a pretty helpful character ever since I began. I've grouped with complete strangers, shared ammo and weapons. Alerted people of the locations of good weapons that I didn't need. Even was invited to a Tactical Gamer group and hanged out with them all night. I've been good enough I think.

I decide to do it.

Now, I'm used to killing tens of people in games like BF, but this is different. My heart starts pumping, I get excited, do soldiers before their first kill also feel like this?. It was really weird. He's still going from room to room, and there is only one exit.

He exits and I empty an M4 magazine into his body. He drops, and leaves the server immediately. Ragequit. I turn into a bandit. I instantly regret the decision, I hate being unfair to people. He didn't even see me. I check his gear, he has average stuff but enough for my friend. I lay down in at the base of a tree, hiding and waiting for my friend to come.

After 5 minutes, I see something white moving on my right. A bandit crawling! He's been crawling to get to the barracks, much smarter decision than shooting your way in. He heads for the guy that I just killed, without giving thought what might have killed him. My friend is almost here, I don't have any choice but kill him too. Another 30 rounds spent, and he's dead. He ragequit as well. Though, I feel better this time, thinking he was a bandit and he probably deserved it. I now deserve it too.

My friend arrives, we give each other transfusion as we're low on blood and then head to the prizes I claimed. I find a GPS and an entrenching tool that I didn't have. Not bad. We head inside the barracks for a last loot before we get away from the airfield. We find lots of STANAG for our weapons. I was in the last room of the barracks, sorting my gear when I heard the cracks of bullets whizzing by. It was a sniper and AK, they got my friend while he was leaving the building. A cold blooded planned murder just like mine. Though, by shooting they attract all the zombies and now they're busy fighting them. My friend urges me to quit and save my ***, but I want to stay. I know that these dudes are unaware of me, and there's probably two of them. With some luck, I can handle them.

I lay down in the corridor, waiting for them to come and claim their prey lying at the doorstep. One of them steps in and I immediately kill him. He was a bandit. The other one is clearly shocked, but he's outside and I'm inside so he has the positional advantage. To my surprise he leans from the entrance and takes pot shots at me, I put 3 rounds to his chest. He didn't die, but he fell on the floor, passing out. The zombies come charging in after our gunshots and start attacking the guy. His character screaming, he dies a painful death.

I somehow got out of this alive, but I now have a small problem with the 20 or so zombies eating the corpse right out of the door. Then I remember I had a M67 grenade, I carefully throw it(I killed myself so many times with it in vanilla ArmA). The grenade lands right in the middle of them and kill everyone instantly. It's a mess, though a satisfying one.

Someone asks about the fighting at the airfield in the chat, I tell him what happened and he says he's coming to whoop my bandit ***. This is where I **** up, unwilling to give up four bodies full of gear (my friends is halway again by this time, another joining game). I pick a spot near the barracks between two trees, it seems concealed enough.

After 20 minutes of alt-tabbing and waiting, I suddenly alt-tab back and barely see someting resembling a survivor at the edge of the barracks, he's here! Though I'm still now sure if it's a zombie. I keep waiting for him to give in to temptation and start looting the bodies, nothing happens. Surely then it was a zombie? After five seconds, someone comes behind me and puts a full 6 rounds of revolver into my head. What an ending. He knew I would be around the barracks, so he took his sweet time finding me.

Lessons learned:

*Avoid small servers, as like minded people come to raid NW airfield.
*Don't get greedy and don't take everyone for stupid.
*AVOID being a bandit. After this I tried to spawn two times and was immediately shot at spawn. People really hate them, will I ever get rid of this skin?
*DayZ is the best thing happened to gaming in years.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

very nice story! that's the thrill of dayz, you never know what will happen next.
yesterday i had pretty decent gear, the remington with flashlight and 40 shells, a m1911 with 4 mags, a watch, compass and binoculars. i thought i wouldn't have much trouble on my own, zombies... pfffffffft ;)
how wrong i was... it was the middle of the night, i was exploring some small village and was well aware of my surroundings. a few zombies lurking around here and there, nothing special.
as i climbed up the stairs in a barn, i heard the familiar noise of a zombie nearby. he was sitting in the corner right next to the stairs. i put a slug to his head before he has the opportunity to attack and hope the others outside won't notice. but they did. a few seconds later i was surrounded by half a dozen zombies that knocked me to the ground instantly, i still had some blood left, but i couldn't get up fast enough to kill them all, i was able to squeeze out one more slug which missed, as the zombies kept ripping me to shreds. THE HORROR! THE HORROR!:p
it was a good run, i guess that char lived for 6-8 hours or something. he avoided certain death several times before, it's a shame his story had to end like this.

Upvote 0
Nice story Rak. The game looks really interesting, almost like a FPS full loot game like Darkfall or Ultima Online, but with perma death :D

This sort of gameplay has always interested me..its like you have to weigh up the pro's con's of your actions, weighing morals with the chance to make a quick buck. You could have befriended the guy (and thus had a potential future ally, or maybe you eliminated a threat?) but instead you shot him and potentially spoiled his game. In the moment its a very valid option because you may increase the survival chance of your actual current ally and in so doing you may increase your own survival chance too. Risk vs reward, moral dilemmas, survival, team or stranger social dynamics and the eventual drama that is created has always been interesting to me in games like that

I can imagine this getting expanded into something very unique, rather than the Airfield you could have more important locations, like a resource gathering area for building stuff, or maybe eventually you could have your own town built with local resources. Or form factions that war each other

I need to get this sometime, don't have any of the ARMA games tho

No idea if the bandit/no bandit thing will be an integral part of the game in future though. To me it what makes it interesting along with the perma death and survival

Last edited:
Upvote 0