• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Darkest Hour: Your favourite weapon and why?

D3terioNation

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 15, 2005
West Sussex, UK
For me its the 42 with a close second going to the BAR!

The reason the 42 gets it is purely the sound! What a difference huh?! Why RO didnt get a decent sound totally beats me! :confused:

And the bar on full rpm is just a beast to behold!! A total joy to use and the animations are just top draw and the best Ive seen in any game! :eek:

Ive only given the game a few hours gameplay and havent even had a chance to use the garand except for off-line! My only suggestion is to beef up the sound and while you're at it please sort out the colt!!

So whats yours?

Anyone notice how twitchy the Springfield is & how obstructive the scope is?? I mean I was hella surprised when I brought it up expecting to find a simple thin cross-hair!!

Ive found that the K98 is a joy to use and the springfield as accurate as the g-43!!

I really think they should get rid of that elaborate x-hair and keep it simple. Like in DoD 1.3 where the hairs where quite thick but were translucent - or Source where it is just mega thin!

Upvote 0
Anyone notice how twitchy the Springfield is & how obstructive the scope is?? I mean I was hella surprised when I brought it up expecting to find a simple thin cross-hair!!

Ive found that the K98 is a joy to use and the springfield as accurate as the g-43!!

I really think they should get rid of that elaborate x-hair and keep it simple. Like in DoD 1.3 where the hairs where quite thick but were translucent - or Source where it is just mega thin!

It's getting a fix in the patch I think mate. I think so far my favorite weapon is the M1 Garand, It's funny because I can use it for a whole map and not get bored or annoyed with it unlike the Kar 98k.

Upvote 0
Good news on the Springfield fix! <3

I would have chosen the garand if it wasnt for the weak sound. To me sound is extremely important! I used to compile sound packs for DOD, and it was truly amazing what a new sound does to a weapon.

For example, I changed the sound (& model) of the grease gun from the TUK TUK TUK sound to a really loud almost metallic sound and got kills left right & centre! Felt really confidant with it and it was head-shot after head-shot after that! :D

Upvote 0
Good news on the Springfield fix! <3

I would have chosen the garand if it wasnt for the weak sound. To me sound is extremely important! I used to compile sound packs for DOD, and it was truly amazing what a new sound does to a weapon.

For example, I changed the sound (& model) of the grease gun from the TUK TUK TUK sound to a really loud almost metallic sound and got kills left right & centre! Felt really confidant with it and it was head-shot after head-shot after that! :D

I've noticed that too!

Upvote 0
there are only 2 gun sounds i like, besides the default sounds (mp40, kar98 etc) and those are MG42 and M1 carbine. Others are too similar between eachother and dont sound right, they sound like they are being fired in an underground closed room, instead of outdoor open enviroment. The BAR sound is just horrible, one of the worst ive ever heard in a game, so is thompson, grease gun etc

Upvote 0
there are only 2 gun sounds i like, besides the default sounds (mp40, kar98 etc) and those are MG42 and M1 carbine. Others are too similar between eachother and dont sound right, they sound like they are being fired in an underground closed room, instead of outdoor open enviroment. The BAR sound is just horrible, one of the worst ive ever heard in a game, so is thompson, grease gun etc

Demon is/has been reworking all the sounds so don't worry about sounds.

Upvote 0
I would have to say the BAR myself. I like how you are able to use it with its bipod and how it seems to handle. That is if I can ever join as Allies...

And I have to agree, although the mg42 sound is better with the patch compared to the initial release, the RO default sound is sooo much better. Personally, it is a shame they felt the need to change it just to be different. But, at least I can listen to it now and not cringe ;)

Upvote 0