• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Damage modification

crono

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2009
Oslo, Norway
I'm trying to modify the damage variables in KF in a mod where the players e.g. headshot 4 zombies in a row and get quad damage for a limited time period after that.

Basically there are two challenges here; the first is to account the damage a player gives to the monsters, and the second is to modify damage players do to monsters.

I've chosen to skip the first for now, and use a modified RTD to set this mode on the player.

Of course it would work just as well if such a powerup was made into an inventory item that could be bought in the trader (for later activation, e.g. diff one-time syringes) or picked up around the map.

As for the second challenge I think theres several ways to go about this, but I'm rather new to KF/UT modding so I'm really just guessing here:

1) Modify the <Weapon>Fire classes, then I'd also have to implement replacement weapons that use the fire classes, and make sure only those weapons were used
2) Modify the KFMonster.<ZombieType> classes, so that the damage they receive is altered based on some record tables (struct array) that are added to the game for this purpose.
3) Modify the KFPlayerController so it gives more damage with the right replicated data set... is this even an option?

In case it isnt clear already, I'm basically trying to recreate some of the Quake style action boosters, such as quad-damage and instagib.

Has anyone done this already? Can it be done? (or rather, can it be done right.. as in stable)

I saw KFIncendiaryMod which replaces all the weapon classes, but the author mentioned several issues which i'd rather not have to re-discover, or even find some issue I can't get past unless TWI makes changes to the game