• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Custom Scripts on my map / SuperAmmo

Help me out guys I haven't used the SDK in nearly 2 years and have forgotten some stuff I once knew...

I authored KF-RE1-Mansion a few years back and want to update it to make it playable again with the latest version of the game.

One of the issues I wanted to address was ammo in my story map (and if I get success I will post the solution under story maps). The problem with ammo is that people who haven't played the map before always steal all the ammo to get 15 clips for their 9mm and then everyone runs out of ammo for the real guns. The problem is worse for higher difficulties as ammo is less likely to spawn.

My solution is a super ammo pickup which should insta-spawn and fills up all weapons, hence only one pickup needed per player, and I will only need a fraction of the current number of boxes on the map.

At the moment I have declared my script as follows. If anyone knows of an existing mod that does something remotely similar let me know!!
//=============================================================================
// MyKFAmmoPickup.
// by Joel 'Driftwood' Connop, January 2011
// A Super Ammo that fills up all weapons except grenades which is +1.
// Useful for story maps where players rely on consistent ammo pickups
// Regardless of difficulty level.
// This class overrides the state Pickup and Sleeping from KFAmmoPickup
// There's only a few changes in the overrided functions and can be found
// easily if you look for the "Driftwood: ..." comments
//=============================================================================
class MyKFAmmoPickup extends KFAmmoPickup
placeable;

So if you are remotely qualified to answer my questions you will notice which class I'm inheriting and what I have called it.

My questions:
1) For the map to be usable on servers, and for clients to be able to connect without having anything special done in their KF folders, what do I need to do to make it all gravy for all parties? Do I have to include additional files in my release or can I wrap it all up in the MyLevel package as I do for my meshes/textures?

2) To get this map whitelisted, do I have to make the script a separate mod and get that whitelisted separately (obviously I will call it something different like KFSuperAmmoPickup)? A link to information about this process would be helpful, in particular how to then get the mod back into my map such that it will

3) What happens if I don't get it whitelisted will people still be able to host/play it without doing anything out of the box? I expect people to be able to use their existing perk levels regardless of ability to build up stats.

4) Thoughts on whether the general community still cares a great deal about levelling their perks/achievements? Do non-whitelisted maps get rejected by most admins?

1. myLevel should work fine. I had custom adrenalin pickups in my UT2004 map which were in myLevel and had no problems with them.
2. Here is how PiX did it: click me, and the map got whitelisted.
3. Mutators are all greylisted now, meaning players can use their perks but not level them - unless the mutator is whitelisted. I can only assume this applies to custom scripts used in maps as well - but I don't know.
4. Everyone I know personally who plays Killing Floor cares a lot about leveling. They'll try non-whitelisted maps as a novelty, if you ask for it, but then they want to get back to something whitelisted.

Upvote 0
If possible can the new version have a proper ending on Pat Kill, atm players can just sit in the trader continually buying stuff and killing FP's/Sirens in a nice long corridor for them to grind perks up.

yeah mate and an easy fix too, just had to block off the trader after pat wave! It was just an oversight and I have no idea how much abuse has resulted of it..

Upvote 0