• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Current State of Survival VS

swedish

Jun 30, 2011
For the past couple of weeks, no official KF2 servers for Survival VS has existed and the mode's population has plummeted. That, plus several glaring issues with balancing have made the game less fun. Zeds are severely underpowered against any Survivor with a brain, let alone a coordinated group of Lv.25s, and most games boil down to Survivors vs. Pat (and the Pat is usually a first time player)

It's been 6 weeks now, and no changes have been done and the player count has been drastically reduced. What is your plan for this mode TW? Please don't leave this as an afterthought, I had very high hopes for this mode as a longtime L4D1/2 VS player. Asymmetrical team-based shooters have a special place in my heart, and I could see myself playing this for years if you devote yourselves to overhauling the balance and adjusting the mode as promised.

We have updates coming to it to polish the mode up and make the game flow and gameplay better. Most of this should come along with the Sharpshooter.
THANK YOU!

Is there any word on why official servers are still missing for this mode? Will there be adjustable difficulties as well? I feel like Suicidal is just right against a team of 25s, the damage inflicted by Zeds is monstrous enough to outdps any Medic healing

Upvote 0
what are you guys working on man? Tell us, or show us.

Sharshooter + new map (maps if they add the best rated maps of the 2 mapping contest waves)... looks very hard to develop andtakes so much time OR they working on something else? :(
Let s hope the wait will worth it, really... VS needs to be think again, with new mecanisms/gameplay to make it works and balanced. I am not at all in this mod for now, that should not vampirise TW's energy... most of us I guess are just waiting (flow of) new content for the core game!.

Upvote 0
Sharshooter + new map (maps if they add the best rated maps of the 2 mapping contest waves)... looks very hard to develop andtakes so much time OR they working on something else? :(
Let s hope the wait will worth it, really... VS needs to be think again, with new mecanisms/gameplay to make it works and balanced. I am not at all in this mod for now, that should not vampirise TW's energy... most of us I guess are just waiting (flow of) new content for the core game!.

I hope they are not going to add any maps, till they improve the ones we have right now. Making all camping spots equal and balanced should be higher priority than adding new maps. And new maps mostly end in zerk walling to get the achievement.

Upvote 0
It is a delicate juggling act. Reworking old content requires the same people and resources as developing new content for both maps and gameplay. Much of our focus right now has been going into making the existing content more balanced and fun where as previously we were driving harder on new content with less time for the other tasks.

Upvote 0
Much of our focus right now has been going into making the existing content more balanced and fun where as previously we were driving harder on new content with less time for the other tasks.

This is what the game needs and what's in everyone's best interests long-term, even if not everyone sees it. Thank you for sticking to your guns about it. Please keep in mind the future balance and how the eventual perks will affect it. Planning accordingly will help to add creative diversity among existing perk roles and performance, and also prevent having to redo everything.

Looking forward to some cool changes to the game just as much as new content.

Upvote 0
We'll hear about sharpie in the coming weeks, at E3. That being said I agree with Oy about current stuff needing to be looked at. New content is great but if it keeps being added on top of content that exists but needs work, it increases the chances of it being buried under workloads.

I cannot wait to see a version of PvZ where AI zeds are dangerous enough to work in tandem with the zed team.

Upvote 0
i like the idea of having a PvZ game mode,always have since the announcement of it.

usually i play this after a couple of rounds of "regular" KF2. and its getting frustrating almost right away after wave 1 every single game i play the mode.

having done my rounds on VS survival the love has gone entirely.

as zeds (and thats why people play this mode) you are utter front meat. i know this has been said before...zeds are way underpowered if you even just face one single competent zerker. the survivors dont really need a competent medic at this stage it seems.zerk just steam rolls the whole zed team and its pretty much "survivors VS patty" as it is.

i guess it is pretty hard to balance a mode like this to acomodate both the human zed players as well as the survivor team and make it a fun couple of rounds for both but i do hope that you guys come up with a good balance to make it fun for both sides..if that is possible.

the thing that id like to see changed first is a tone down on the zerker since this perk is too dominant in VS survival. that and an increase in spawned player controlled sc/fp's + make them proper threats.

if you're lucky to drop as one of them they are just underwhelming to put it mildly.

ive tried all sorts of coordination via VoiP and nothing works,even a good "team effort" as zeds makes no difference.at least not if you face the zerker god perk as is.

i suggest to redo the zerker perk skills for PvP to a degree that he is not the uber killer as he is now.perhaps take the zed time skill away.that already would make a small difference.

it must be very hard to balance a mode like this right and i get that...still,i love the idea of PvP in KF2 but as it is now its just not fun and that is reflected by a mere handfull of players playing it.and they laugh at you as zed players (couldnt blame them) after wiping you out which is decidetly not fun since its so unbalanced.

TL;DR
PvP mode is a great idea but just isnt done well as of now and no fun at all if you want to play as zeds. finish the core game and then spend some time refining the PvP mode to balance its broken aspects

Upvote 0
Have you tried moving unlike other enemies?

Sounds like a criticism but it really isn't, it's a great "tactical" way of thinking in games where you are otherwise outnumbered/outgunned but want to survive/win.

Basically, keep in mind that most/all KF players are used to attacking targets with predictable movement. They pick their target and go for it in a direct line, the harder modes allowing them head weaves and such.

Try approaching a human player in zigzags, jumps, basically do everything you know you would have trouble headshotting, do that to your enemy.

I survive as slashers this way longer than any SC player who mindlessly charges.

Upvote 0
Have you tried moving unlike other enemies?

Sounds like a criticism but it really isn't, it's a great "tactical" way of thinking in games where you are otherwise outnumbered/outgunned but want to survive/win.

Basically, keep in mind that most/all KF players are used to attacking targets with predictable movement. They pick their target and go for it in a direct line, the harder modes allowing them head weaves and such.

Try approaching a human player in zigzags, jumps, basically do everything you know you would have trouble headshotting, do that to your enemy.

I survive as slashers this way longer than any SC player who mindlessly charges.

that is exactly how i play. as clot try to roll around and jump all over the place to distract the team. as slasher/gore zigzagging all over the place. as bloat find exitpoints for the team and mine em up.
as stalker i make my way near the team and hang about till i think its safe enough to do the hit and roll thing on unsuspecting players.as siren wait for the right moment to pull and hold players so that my zed team can deal damage..and so on

ill try to play this as tactically as possible as well as communicating with the team to see what we can come up with.now this doesnt always work since some players just rush in like lunatics and get killed over and over.

i really think there are 2 problems..the zerker as he is currently is simply too OP in my eyes and i also think that there should be a difficulty level choice just as in the base game.

iam all for freedom of choice but for the sake of balance this should scale according to the perk level of the survivor team.so say there is 5 players at roughly level 10 for their perks and 1 that is higher it should scale the zed damage/difficulty level down to suit the lower level perks and vice versa.
something like that...

the number of 4 wave rounds lost to any other perk other than the zerk is less than the fingers on my left hand. in fact those matches where there is no zerker present have been fun and intense for both side as far as iam aware :D

Upvote 0
Ever since VS was released people have been complaining that ZEDs are underpowered, yet every update changelog I read seems to include a ZED nerf.

I just don't understand you TW... Right now VS is so unbalanced that practically nobody plays it anymore- Playing as a survivor is too easy therefore boring, and playing as a zed is tedious and frustrating. I really don't understand why this *still* hasn't been fixed, isn't the live update system supposed to let you update things like this a lot quicker?

IMO this is what should be done to balance it better:
-20% increase to Zed damage
-30% increase to Zed health
-5% increase Zed movement speed
-Make stumble & knockdown a lot less common
-Give Zeds some kind of abilities during Zed time, because right now they're sitting ducks just counting the seconds until they die.
-Nerf zerk so they don't carry the whole team
-Give survivors limited stamina when sprinting so they can't outrun you
-Fleshpound feels extremely weak both in terms of damage and health.

TLDR; make it so the zeds feel like the predators and not the prey

Upvote 0