• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Crosshairs?

Both the crosshairs and red orchestra's free aim pointing are both just simulations of real life point shooting, which in reality is about feeling where the gun is pointing, not looking at the crosshairs or where the barrel is pointing (you actually look at the target, not the gun).

Even though neither way of doing it is perfectly realistic, I much prefer RO's method because it makes point-shooting an acquired skill, just like it is in reality.

Upvote 0
djsatane said:
I dont see point of this thread really. But let me make things clear: RO does not have crosshairs, its by design. Further, it doesnt need crosshairs. If you need a crosshair because you just love to see a cross when you play just glue a sticker in middle of your screen....

Perhaps if you READ the thread, you might understand the point of it. He asked for tips on how to aim properly without using iron-sights.

I thought it was pretty straight forward myself.

Upvote 0
Tomcat_ha said:
you can hipshoot with the bolt and semi very effectively with practice. Once you can do it people saying that you are a cheater will rise by 500%.

I find the M38 to be uncannily effective for hipshots, which comes in very handy since it lacks a bayonet attachment.

Usually, anywhere up to 25-30 feet away its spot on if you kind of know where to point it. You can also pivot and shoot from the hip with it easier than the other, larger rifles since it takes less time for the 'freeaim' to center after you turn to face another direction.

Upvote 0
Kurtz said:
Both the crosshairs and red orchestra's free aim pointing are both just simulations of real life point shooting, which in reality is about feeling where the gun is pointing, not looking at the crosshairs or where the barrel is pointing (you actually look at the target, not the gun).
Sic! Some say the you must "aim by the barrel, but that really isn't what you do in real life. When shooting from the hip, ones eyes are fixed on the target, not on on your weapon. As my hands aren't on the weapon while hip shooting in ro, I dont really know where the weapon is pointing and I don't get the feeling of real shooting, like I do when using iron sights. This is only a problem whin using rifles, and even then more of a atmospheric one, as I often manage to hit my intended target by placing it in the center of the screen.

As I said earlier, I'm not suggesting that croshairss should be added to ro. I believe that it would actually be pretty hard to implement, as the pc doesn't shoot parallel to his sight, but a bit lover (from his hip), so the croshair would have to change its place bepending on the range you are shooting.

Upvote 0
Sorry, but aren't there already crosshairs in RO?
I mean, one time, I've read(think it was actually here) that it would be possible to see a crosshair in RO on your screen, but I did not believe it, until I was playing one evening on a server, on the map BlackDayJuly_b2. I was spawning as tank crew on allied side, and while I was moving, suddenly a little crosshair appeared and disappeared after a second...
Was it just a mutator, or what?

Upvote 0
myzko said:
I don't think you need to tell that too ANYONE, people do it automaticly, it's not like they keep firing until it's up in the air, and then pull it down and reloads and does it again :p

I think there are people that need to be told of :)

I saw a freebie last week and he was trying to shoot me with his PPSh while standing in IS mode, and everytime he took a burst he ended up pointing sky! :D He was just unaware that he needed to push mouse down :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
'GPS' style map

'GPS' style map

The 'GPS' style map can be easily explained. When you join bootcamp, especially in WW2 you are/were tought how to read maps, and read them fairly well. You also given a compass. So you have a map, map reading skills (to figure out where you are vital landmarks etc) and a compass. All the game has done is taken the actual map learning skill out of the game so you dont need to spend days or weeks studying each map learning every terrain change and landmark, then cross referencing with your compass. The map covers your screen so you cant see, just like as if you were looking at a real map, notice its not an 'automap' like thing that is translucent and you can operate normally while its up?

Anyway thats my 2c on the issue :). Great game btw, i will be buying it tonight because the trial is over. Best WW2 shooter BY FAR.

Upvote 0
Muddy_May said:
I find the M38 to be uncannily effective for hipshots, which comes in very handy since it lacks a bayonet attachment.

Usually, anywhere up to 25-30 feet away its spot on if you kind of know where to point it. You can also pivot and shoot from the hip with it easier than the other, larger rifles since it takes less time for the 'freeaim' to center after you turn to face another direction.

It's like that in the real world too. Loverly idea, carbines.:)

To the OP, everything has been said pretty much. You'll hit moving targets more often after you get a feel for where the lead off point is, and exactly how much you have to compensate. Good luck and welcome to the ROOST :)

Upvote 0