• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PC Crossbow FPS drop on equip

Drassel

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 7, 2013
Canada
Category: Code
Reproducibility: Always
Summary: FPS drop whenever I equip the crossbow

Description:
1. buy crossbow
2. equip crossbow
3. enjoy 30-ish fps framedrop

I've played Prison and Burning Paris so far with the Crossbow. I was playing lvl 21 Gunslinger with 1911's, Deagles and .500s, successively. It doesn't seem related to any trader pod, the ammo count nor the map, more like the weapon itself. The FPS drop occurred whenever I used the Xbow, then the framerate raised back to 60+ when I switched to any other weapon.

DXDiag
Spoiler!

KF2 Settings. The shadow .ini override is from my Radeon settings. I put the shader cache on ''AMD optimized''. I think I'll post a screen of my driver options too while we're at it.
Spoiler!

Radeon settings
Spoiler!

I've tested again with AMD settings at default and the same problem persists. I started a new game in Burning Paris, bought the Xbow only and would switch between my 9mm and Xbow repeatedly at some places. I'd get 70+ fps with V-sync off holding my 9mm but it would go down to as low as 37 fps as soon as I unholstered the Xbow. It even seemed the drop would be even more aggressive when I was aiming down sights then un-zooming. I've taken some screenshots as proofs. FPS counter is on the upper-right corner.

Xbow uptstairs
Spoiler!

9mm downstairs 1
Spoiler!

Xbow downstairs 1
Spoiler!

Xbow downstairs 2
Spoiler!

9mm downstairs 2
Spoiler!

Aiming down sights with Xbow
Spoiler!

Radeon Settings
Spoiler!

KF2 settings
Spoiler!

System:
MOBO: Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 ATX AM3+
CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core
RAM: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866
GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB Dual-X
Drivers: AMD 16.3.2 at the time.

Last edited:
Need more information.

Is this first time you equip it in the game, or every map it happens or every time?

- What map?
- What are of map (if applicable)
- Which trader pod?
- What perk were you?
- What level perk were you?
- What other weapons did you have?
- When you switched to XBOW, what weapon were you holding previously?
- Did the xbow have full ammo or fresh from trader?

Thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've played Prison and Burning Paris so far with the Crossbow. I was playing lvl 21 Gunslinger with 1911's, Deagles and .500s, successively. It doesn't seem related to any trader pod, the ammo count nor the map, more like the weapon itself. The FPS drop occurred whenever I used the Xbow, then the framerate raised back to 60+ when I switched to any other weapon. The FPS also seems to raise when I'm aiming down the sights.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Didn't change much. I've tested again with AMD settings at default and the same problem persists. I started a new game in Burning Paris, bought the Xbow only and would switch between my 9mm and Xbow repeatedly at some places. I'd get 70+ fps with V-sync off holding my 9mm but it would go down to as low as 37 fps as soon as I unholstered the Xbow. It even seemed the drop would be even more aggressive when I was aiming down sights then un-zooming. I've taken some screenshots as proofs. FPS counter is on the upper-right corner.

Xbow uptstairs
Spoiler!

9mm downstairs 1
Spoiler!

Xbow downstairs 1
Spoiler!

Xbow downstairs 2
Spoiler!

9mm downstairs 2
Spoiler!

Aiming down sights with Xbow
Spoiler!