• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Squad Creating a realism unit.

But I like the idea of starting fresh.

I'd like to see a revamp of the community although it would take the establishment of what I'd consider a second third generation/fourth generation of realism unit members (the first being the members of units during the mod, the second being new members of units during RO1, and the third being new members of new units which were to be active during RO2 but didn't happen once people realized how awful the game was at release) which I could see possible happening if the implementation of vehicles is successful, if more tanks are released, and if better maps are released. The potential for a revamped community is ever-present but a major reason why it hasn't really happened, in my opinion, is because for two years RO2 is still only half the game RO1 was.

Upvote 0
One unit is not a community. I'm referring to the time when there were around at least a dozen or more units (although the majority were Waffen SS). A time like that doesn't seem to likely happen again but I can see it becoming a reality if given the right conditions. I guess you can call me a delusional old RO realism vet but it's sad seeing the shape of RO now compared to years ago.

Upvote 0
No I won't call you that :p I actually agree.

I do hope the vehicle mod team in combination with good mappers and the new skins/models from Moskeeto&Dibbler&Kaminski bring some decent people back to RO2.

Yea, some people may come back but I suspect the majority of people who left after the game's release will never come back because of their outrageous hatred of TW.

I'd like to see the skins/models done by those three guys eventually become official and used commonly similar to how Waffen SS skins were commonly present in some maps during the mod.

Upvote 0
Those generations need to get together. We need to be more flexible in terms of 'realism'. Stop with the history buff/nerd crap, if i may be so bold. It doesnt do any good or earn us any morale points.

and by flexible I mean for example: who cares that the 135th Airborne Division during WWII was actually a decoy unit consisting or 1 or 2 paratroopers that wore the patch to deceive the germans into thinking there was a whole company of paratroopers that had dropped with them.

If new generation re-enactment gamers want to portray a false unit, let them! As long as that unit isnt called "Hitler's 1st Battalion" or "Roosevelts Finest" then let them do what they want! As long as they stick to the traditional guidelines of 'realism'..

-I see the maps being released.
-If they revamp the tanks and weapon selections that would be cool. Add a few other factions like the canadians, polish or swedes?
-Maybe enable an edit feature and access to the personal ranking structure in-game for units to organize their team ranks in-game using something other than the abbreviations in our names, that would be interesting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well I'l be waiting for everyone to get their act together and form up some units! But I wont hold my breath over it, just in case. But seriously, TOC was some pretty cool stuff back in the day, despite the politics of it all. If I had the knowledge, I would run it myself. Realism or not. Just friendly matches and a huge arse map!

Upvote 0
Add a few other factions like the canadians, polish or swedes?

I don't see the addition of different "factions" to RO2 as being really necessary for the creation of units since only having Germany and Russia is sufficient enough as evidenced all throughout RO1's history. But if a new nationality of soldiers were to ever be added to the game, I think it would make more sense to add either the Finns, Italians, Hungarians, Czechs, or Romanians rather than the ones you mentioned besides perhaps the Poles.

Kees said:
-Maybe enable an edit feature and access to the personal ranking structure in-game for units to organize their team ranks in-game using something other than the abbreviations in our names, that would be interesting.

Yes, that would be something "neat" to have but also very unnecessary for TW to spend their time on. Besides, I've always liked seeing my unit rank in my unit tag. Perhaps, though, a mutator featuring what you mentioned would be acceptable.

What's needed is not overly complicated:

-Besides APCs, the further addition of two or four more tanks (Panzer III and BT-7 or Panzer III, StuG III (models C, D, or E), BT-7, and perhaps the T-70)
-The addition of several large-scale CA maps (urban and open country)

Upvote 0
and by flexible I mean for example: who cares that the 135th Airborne Division during WWII was actually a decoy unit consisting or 1 or 2 paratroopers that wore the patch to deceive the germans into thinking there was a whole company of paratroopers that had dropped with them.
I wasn't refering to stuff like the 29th ID being in a game about the pacific. I was talking about RO2s gameplay (+immersion and realismbreaking 'unlocks', stat buffs, tiny tunnel maps and whatnot)

Last edited:
Upvote 0