• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Squad Creating a realism unit.

Are you wanting to create a Historical Realism Unit or a Tactical Realism unit? A Historical Realism Unit is comprised of more "hard-core" or historically minded individuals generally termed as "virtual reenactors", but a Tactical Realism Unit is comprised of more casual members who are more akin to members of regular clans. Tactical Realism Units generally will only use military tactics and will use as a name of the unit one which is generically militaristic sounding such as "Devil's Paratrooper Squad", for example.

Upvote 0
The main objective when creating a Historical Realism unit is authenticity. The native language of the nation you've chosen for your unit should be used for the names of unit members, ranks, medals, and military formations (squads, platoons, etc.). As for RO Russian units, it's been customary to use Romanized Russian when taking into account most RO players are native speakers of English, or atleast are familiar with English, and are thus more familiar with Latin letters. But using Russian letters can be used of course for your own personal taste for authenticity such as if you decide to use them on your roster as long as you create a way for your members and visitors to know what they're looking at by using parenthesis, for example.

Creating a unit of this type requires its founder or founders to do research on their own time about the formation they've chosen and about the nation they've chosen's army, navy, or whatever branch the formation they've chosen belongs to. Since you've chosen a division which was a part of the Soviet Army, you'll obviously want to delve into whatever sources you can find to become very familiar with that particular division and with Soviet army ranks, military formation make-up, medals, etc.

During the infant stage of your unit, which I'm guessing hasn't even started yet, you'll want to start the unit out at the squad level which means that you, as the leader of the unit, will be the squad leader. As your unit grows in numbers then expanding it to the platoon level would be recommended.

Creating a forum, site, and acquiring a vocal communication program such as Team Speak for your unit are all vital to the success of your unit for obvious reasons such as being able to communicate with your members, for example.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So far, I've done a fair bit of research on the actual division, and did some on the Soviet Red Army's ranks. The only thing I couldn't find was abbreviations for the ranks. I'm going to research how the Red Army fought, the kinds of formations they used and such before actually forming the unit. Thanks for the help, it's much appreciated.

Upvote 0
Hey RoflNom,

I would recommend you joining a Realism Unit first before trying to create one for several reasons:

First you would learn alot from people who have been doing this for quite some time now, engaging into you're own research alone can be daunting.

You will not be able to apply effeciently you're research on tactics and formations before actually experiencing them on the field, the're will be alot of trial and error before getting you're unit to work right etc.

Being a squad leader in realism unit is quite demanding and to know if you are able to fill this post you need to experience it first hand. You also need to understand the other positions the squad and best way to do this is to experience them also. Most good realism unit squad leaders are good "grunts".

Anyway sorry if I might be discouraging and if you plan on going on wth this, I do wish you the best of luck!

There is from, what I gather and to the extend I am informed, only one active(trainings etc.) realism unit currently in the RO2 community and that is the unit I am part of, the 16 PzD division.
If you're interested in a russian unit the 13th were active not even 2 weeks ago. But we havn't heard from them since. So check them out.

Gef. Franz Weil 1.Zug PzGr.R 64

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would recommend you joining a Realism Unit first before trying to create one

I'd recommend RoflNom join A.Pyatt's infantile unit or vice versa because the chances of two Russian units co-existing in RO2's current state in an effort to gain enough members to be functional are practically nil. RO Russian units have historically always had difficulties in obtaining members compared to German units. I feel it would be best if there was just currently one Russian unit instead of two.

Upvote 0
Historical realism is dead. All the old units are gone (1.SS, 2.SS, 3.SS, 4.SS, 5.SS, 8.SS, 11.SS, 20. PzGr, 24. PzD, 385. ID, 369. IR, 181st TB, 3rd GA, 3rd SA). There was a time when the Red Orchestra historical realism community kicked ***, but you can thank RO2 for ruining that lol. 24th at least is going to be creating an IJA realism unit for RS.

Upvote 0
Historical realism is dead. All the old units are gone (1.SS, 2.SS, 3.SS, 4.SS, 5.SS, 8.SS, 11.SS, 20. PzGr, 24. PzD, 385. ID, 369. IR, 181st TB, 3rd GA, 3rd SA). There was a time when the Red Orchestra historical realism community kicked ***, but you can thank RO2 for ruining that lol. 24th at least is going to be creating an IJA realism unit for RS.

The reason its dead/dying and not rising again, is due to these kind of posts that say so. We(16th) and the 13th Guards have been working togther for quite a while, doing hisoric-realism now. The problem is that not a lot of people, know what historic realism is, and they will never find out when people say its dead.

Upvote 0
Sorry 20.PzGr.Fleck, we are still here and I would appreciate it if you avoided making this kind of statement when we have our posts up all over the clan section of this forum. We the 16.PzD are active and well.

Also good luck with RS but I have to wonder. If you guys didn't have the will power to stick with HOS why should we believe you will be around in the next coming months?

The 24th come in blazing with video's and everything, you hit a bit of flak and you guys just run off, tails between you're legs. Wow what a proud bunch of dedicated realism players, thank you for giving us a good name.

I'm giving you guys one more chance in my books. You better not pull the same **** with RS you did with HOS....

I just hope i'm wrong.

Upvote 0
Rofl

24. left because none of us liked RO2. Hoffmann's unit left for I44 because none of them liked RO2.

If 90% of players are GONE then the community is dead. Also I'll play what games I want, I don't give two ****s about your "chances". The fact of the matter is that RO2 made the conscious decision to cater more to CoDfans than historical realism fans, and it killed the community. If you don't agree ask Viktor... or Sava... or Koba... or Reinhardt... or Hecker... or Haase... or Schwendau... or Schweitzer... or Stahlschmiedt... or Ritter... or Richter... etc, etc, etc

'cept ya can't, because they're gone :p

Edit: Sauer, my posts didn't kill the community.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What exacly does my identity have to do with this?

I think we are seriously derailing this thread. The name is creating a realism unit. I do beleive t's in both our interests that it stay on topic and people find an answer to the question and not just frustration.

My realism name is Franz Weil. You can look up our unit on steam or are forums you will see me there.

Upvote 0
Rofl

24. left because none of us liked RO2. Hoffmann's unit left for I44 because none of them liked RO2.

If 90% of players are GONE then the community is dead. Also I'll play what games I want, I don't give two ****s about your "chances". The fact of the matter is that RO2 made the conscious decision to cater more to CoDfans than historical realism fans, and it killed the community. If you don't agree ask Viktor... or Sava... or Koba... or Reinhardt... or Hecker... or Haase... or Schwendau... or Schweitzer... or Stahlschmiedt... or Ritter... or Richter... etc, etc, etc

'cept ya can't, because they're gone :p

Edit: Sauer, my posts didn't kill the community.

Dropping a list of names of former community members means little in the general scheme of things when the subject at hand is the current status and restoration of a realism community in Red Orchestra 2. Most units, ours included (16. Panzer-Division), had given up on the game at some point in their history. And to say the least, Red Orchestra 2 has generally been a hostile environment to realism throughout a considerable portion of its life.

Even though we've lost a lot of good people/units as a result of time and the game failing to meet expectations, their absence doesn't preclude the concept of reviving a realism community through introducing it to newer people.

And let's be honest with ourselves; the realism community in the past had plenty of downfalls in the ways of inflated egos, conflict and lack of cooperation between units, and outside prejudice directed towards realism as a style of play by clans and public players. The old realism community is mostly a thing of the past: let's take the good parts and rebuild it anew as a stronger community.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I remember the downfalls. But I like the idea of starting fresh. There is a spark, we just need a little more oxygen and something to burn!

I agree with Georg. Take the good from the past and march onward!

I miss it. TOC mostly... when it was functioning properly! :eek:. But I could settle for just a nice scrimmage again, a couple times a week, for old times sake!

Hey Georg. Its sankt!

Kees (its Kees for good now, i swear)

Upvote 0