• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Controllers: Greatly Improved, Minor Issues Remain

I hadn't played KF2 in a few months, and I am glad to see significant improvements in the controller support. The aiming feels fantastic now, the weapon button is useful even when not using the wheel (I use both methods of weapon switch based on situation now), merging the self heal with reload was genius (although it should say this on the control screen for newcomers), auto aim now stays off when you turn it off, and the addition of presets is very welcoming.

Preset number 2 is almost perfect, but it has a few issues I'm about to point out.

The first biggest issue is you cannot throw guns with the preset. With LB being the weapon selector, it still says the Throw Button weapon is LB, and of course one can't press LB when LB is already pressed. The fix is simple, you can change the throw weapon button for the one preset or you can go back to the old methods of holding the throw cash button to throw the weapon. I actually prefer the latter, but it doesn't really matter. Its really awkward when I have to tell someone over the mic I can't throw a weapon back because I don't have a working throw button on the controller.

The second (somewhat minor) issue is Y and B. Y is melee, and B is use. I've played many games with the B button being melee, and I've played a few games where Y or B is use. I however, have played a game with the melee button on Y. I'm sure there are people that will have the same issue I have where I am constantly pressing the wrong button, because the logic is the opposite of what most people are used to when using a controller for a shooter with melee attacks. I've seen melee on B most commonly, and on other occasions on the right stick or the shoulder buttons, but never on Y. My recommendation for preset 2 would be to swap B and Y, make Y use and B melee. Always annoying when being grabbed by a clot I press B because I'm used to other games i used to play.

The only other thing I would way, and this is just a suggestion here, is to add a dead zone option into the menu. Its not life and death serious since there's always the INI method, but it would be easier to have it in the menu, especially since having to set the INI to read only causes nothing but issues come time to update.

Anyways, keep up the great work! Steam big picture users I'm sure are very happy to see more games supporting our methods of play out of the box. As someone who recently packed away his monitor, keyboard, and mouse and hooked the computer up straight to the TV and bought a recliner, seeing these improvements to kf2 is exciting. :cool:

I like the melee on PS4, pushing in the thumbstick to use it. Not sure about how the PC version is set up, though.

I play games on PS4 with some friends occasionally, and had many drunken nights playing Halo back in the day. While controllers are much better than they used to be, I find a mouse and keyboard much better.

But it is good that they are fixing things for controller users.

Upvote 0
I like the melee on PS4, pushing in the thumbstick to use it. Not sure about how the PC version is set up, though.

I play games on PS4 with some friends occasionally, and had many drunken nights playing Halo back in the day. While controllers are much better than they used to be, I find a mouse and keyboard much better.

But it is good that they are fixing things for controller users.
Depending on the preset is what the thumb stick is. On the preset I'm using it throws nades, which is probably the best button for nades.

I honestly could care less about the keyboard and mouse argument, I've been through it a million times. I'm just as good with a controller if not better than when i used kbm. on top of that, getting a TV and starting to develop carpal tunnel made me make the permanent switch.

Upvote 0
How do you even play with a controller?)

I've tried a couple of times, but the aiming is awful compared to the mouse.

Is there any trick? How the aim assist is supposed to work?
Just takes time. Playing unreal tournament 3 and left 4 dead 2 can seriously help with precision and reflexes, and so can kf2 if you give it time. The one thing I will say however is to turn off all the aim assist options. Aim assist not only is useless in this game (and most other games), but it also isn't going to allow one to really get the experience they need to properly aim. There's really no trick, that shouldn't be obvious that is. Just like the mouse, move the joystick all the way for faster movement and quick turns to get what's behind you, and smaller movements for trying to hit what's in front of you.

Other thing to keep in mind, the last update (or the one before, I don't remember) significantly fixed the aiming. Before you couldn't aim diagonally properly. It feels pretty solid at this point.

As for my experience, I'm just as good at ut with a controller as I was with kbm at this point, and I typically play on Masterful or Inhuman depending on my mood. Honestly though, even if there was even a significant difference between my advantage with each, I'd still take the controller just to be able to sit in my recliner after a long day of work and for the comfort of the controller. The kbm argument is one of the dumbest arguments in the gaming industry nowadays, the people who argue it don't give it a chance to really develop as a skill. There is definitely a slightly larger learning curve at first with the controller, but after a while its no difference. If you are willing to learn, give it a chance. It may take a few weeks or even months for you to really get equally good at it, but eventually you will if you give it the chance.

Upvote 0