• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Computer question

ron_moron

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2007
OK, I struggled on playing HOS on a laptop that was really below spec but actually managed to run the game pretty well, but now RS has come out it's a disaster - I can play for 20 minutes and then my laptop just shuts down. I'm guessing this is overheating because it just can't take it.

So now I'm thinking of buying a new PC (not laptop). I don't play that much in the gaming world apart from RO/RS so I'm not looking for a beast of a PC, just something that will run RS on pretty much ultra very nicely, maybe with a bit more oomph so I can run any newer games at lower settings if the mood takes me (it probably won't).

Any recommendations for a PC that will fit the spec for RS but won't break my bank?

Thanks,

ron

(oh yes, I'm in the UK if that helps)

My advice

Never buy a labtop for gaming
Never buy a pre made PC

You can build your own for far less and its way easier than people think.
Depends on how much you want to replace if you have a desktop odds are you can still use your tower,power supply,disc drive etc. Just a motherboard and cpu/ram upgrade.All your other stuff will plug right in new MB.

The easiest way is try a bare bones pc http://www.portatech.com/products/category.cshtml?id=1239&gclid=COSLl4iz-rcCFWRp7Aod9TEAYQ just an example they may be better bare bones sights I just grabbed one.

They are cheap and capable of being a beast of a pc.All you really need is a good MB and cpu the rest can be added later. The bare bones comes with basic set up MB,PS,CPU/heat sink fan installed.All you have to do is add the rest.Like I said most of your old stuff would still work if your dont have desktop you could buy used parts like HDD and disc w/e.

You could probably build a mid/high end pc for 400-800 bucks.I laugh when poeple pay 3-5 k for a gaming pc.When you buy a pre built PC your paying for that name.Its really easy to build the same system for WAY less.

If you have alot of money pre builts is a easy option they have warranties and service.Building our own will save you money videos on web can walk you through everything.Its really easy and can be fun :D with a bare bones all you will really need is a copy of windows the stuff you have now could get it running.Then just throw in a good card and you have a beast of a pc.Upgrade as needed and save huge $$$

With a budget I would recommend an AMD setup I love the Intel chips but AMD has much better pricing bang for the buck.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for all the info guys. Maybe I shouldn't have said ultra settings, what I really want is to run it on pretty good fps so it doesn't stutter and looks good. That'll do me.

Home build sounds the best plan, but I'm not sure my awful computer skillz are up to that.

Yes, saw the warbird needs a card but figured

Upvote 0
Home build sounds the best plan, but I'm not sure my awful computer skillz are up to that.

Its really easy its basicly plug ins a bare bones comes pretty much built.Just plug in the parts needed all have power cable and MB conections.You may need a simple splitter to get more power supply pluggins.Just two things HDD and dvd drive needs wires.The rest just plugs right into MB.Lots of good videos on youtube that walk you through everything.

I once helped a lady build a pc for old republic for under 500 bucks from scratch.All in emails she said if she can do it anyone can lol. Once you get everything plugged in just use windows disk.Even on old hardrives it will let you install a fresh copy.Esentailly giving you a brand new PC.

That copy of windows will be good as long as you use the MB.The 90 $ windows is MB drm bound:mad:.For a good MB to go out is rare most of the time its HDD that fails.If anything does go wrong you can simply install windows again.90% of computer repair is simple windows errors.PCs dont ship with disks so people cannot properly repair them.

Once you build your first pc you will have the knowledge to be able to repair it.Basicly repeating the steps you did to built it w/e needs replaced.

What best buy don't want you to know :D.......
Spoiler!

I had no computor skills before I just gamed.With a little help from the internet I learned how simple it was.That most pc repair was total ripoffs as well as top name pc sellers.... You just have to take that first step!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yup, even if it sounds hard, it's not and your reward is pretty high if you do it yourself.
I'd say go for:
AMD Phenom II X4 940 ~85€
GA-970A-DS3 ~70€
HD7850 ~200€
and overclock it, the mobo is meh for OCing.. but it should be enough since you don't plan to get some high numbers

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OK, I struggled on playing HOS on a laptop that was really below spec but actually managed to run the game pretty well, but now RS has come out it's a disaster - I can play for 20 minutes and then my laptop just shuts down. I'm guessing this is overheating because it just can't take it.

So now I'm thinking of buying a new PC (not laptop). I don't play that much in the gaming world apart from RO/RS so I'm not looking for a beast of a PC, just something that will run RS on pretty much ultra very nicely, maybe with a bit more oomph so I can run any newer games at lower settings if the mood takes me (it probably won't).

Any recommendations for a PC that will fit the spec for RS but won't break my bank?

Thanks,

ron

(oh yes, I'm in the UK if that helps)

:)

Just about any Quad-core or better, clocking at 3.0 or more will do. BUT...

The key to ultra settings will be the GPU in the box. If you select a box with a motherboard GPU, I can almost guarantee failure to run upper level graphics in RS. My recommendation would be an upper mid-range PCI-e based GPU such as a GTX 670 or better or an ATI equivalent.

Upvote 0
:)
My recommendation would be an upper mid-range PCI-e based GPU such as a GTX 670 or better or an ATI equivalent.
660Ti should be enough, I own a HD7870 which is on the same level (performence wise) and it does pretty well, I'm a >45 FPS guy, everything below that lags too much in my mind. It should be >50 mostly 62 in RO2 and around 50 (+-10) in RS.

And yes, mid-range quad-core (I'd go for AMD here) on +3GHz, overclock it and it should be fine for this gen of games, get a high-end GPU and upgrade your CPU/mobo later.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Big thanks for all the tips, guys. I'm going to read through the home build plans and watch the vids and make my mind up. TBH I'm not so worried about the actual building, I reckon I could handle that, I'm more worried about buying the wrong thing (I once bought a new graphics card then found out I had the wrong power supply, got a new power supply but then discovered none of it would work together). So if I can find enough stuff easily that will definitely work together I'll go that way.

I'm sure I'll still buy at least one thing that's wrong.

Or I might just go back to playing HOS. Or DH. No, can't do that, RS is too much run.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
search for building cheap computers. when I built mine, I found a guy who was buying, building and posting his results. he had links to the cheapest parts at the time through guys like tiger direct and newegg. he told you what worked together, what didn't and why. I found 90% of the parts he used at the links he provided at substantial savings.
now if I had only written down his net address to pass along to you. :eek:
if I come across it, i'll let you know. but DO search for him. what I learned was invaluable for saving dollars!

Upvote 0