• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Communication! #1 Strat.

easton1234

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 7, 2008
North Georgia US
I normally play commmander. On the best nights maybe 8 people communicate on the movement or defence of the other team. Imagine If 25 out of 32 men on a server were communicating! The Mg's would be set up in the right position, the smoke would be thrown correctly, the arty would land where it would be most effective etc etc etc.......

The thing that strikes me the funniest is on maps like the Station, people ask for arial recon...... Are you serious?..... the commander needs to be in the caps helping cap........ its a small map! ...... If guys were talking ingame then we would know exactly where the enemy was in strength, or which flank is folding.

I rarely call in Arial Recon....... I think lastnight was the 1st time I was asked to call in recon on spartinovka for a specific target... The guys were gettign shot in the back from far off on a flank and couldn't locate a target... that was a great reason to get a plane in the sky...

Just like a marriage, communication is the key to success!
You could have a team of average to below average players against a team with 4-6 studs plus the normal pubbers... If the below average team is flowing as a team, knowing whats going on at all times on every area of the map then they have a great chance to beat the stacked team. The reinforcements would go to the needed area quickly. But what normally tends to happen is the below average team just complains on the VOIP and does not communicate all that well. They might try and communicate for the 1st 5 min or so but it always go strait to hell quickly because the others on the team don't speak up...

My whole point to this tactics post is for players to get out of their comfort zone and speak up! No matter how good you are or where you are on the scoreboard... You experience on the battlefield in that round is most needed to paint a clear picture of the enemy. Now don't get me wrong... sometimes there are buttheads on a server who hog all the VOIP... and shoot down info quickly on a team VOIP because they think they know best..... Just keep putting in your info no matter what... where you see enemy.... what guns they have..... where their arty is falling.. etc.... in Matches and scrims with like 8 on 8 this is vital info.... clans get pissed at their players if they don't tell exactly where they were killed and by what weapon............ if it is vital for a clan in a match then it is vital for a team of 32 vs another team of 32 pubbing it up!

Last edited:

Just like a marriage, communication is the key to success!
You could have a team of average to below average players against a team with 4-6 studs plus the normal pubbers... If the below average team is flowing as a team, knowing whats going on at all times on every area of the map then they have a great chance to beat the stacked team. The reinforcements would go to the needed area quickly. But what normally tends to happen is the below average team just complains on the VOIP and does not communicate all that well. They might try and communicate for the 1st 5 min or so but it always go strait to hell quickly because the others on the team don't speak up....

I totally agree. I would take it one step further and just add that it makes for an overall more satisfying experience regardless of whether the team does well or not, even though it surely does help your chances of success. One of the best rounds I've had in RO2 recently was actually one of the worst by all other measurable criteria. Our team got totally destroyed, but we were trying as a team, and communicating game info instead of just whining. For me that is the good stuff in Red Orchestra brand, a team of players trying to work together in the face of a terribly lethal battlefield. Where being a better twitch player, while always helpful (this is a shooter, after all) doesn't necessarily earn you a win...or even necessarily a long life.

Upvote 0
Communication is really hard for two reasons. Players have the option of either talking to the whole team, in which case their information is likely irrelevant for most of the people hearing it, or talking to only their squad, which is likely scattered all over the map because the only squad member whose location is indicated on your screen is the squad leader.

Secondly, in most cases it's extremely difficult to describe locations accurately and efficiently because scenery generally is indistinguishable (all the houses on Spartanovka for example) and because the use of grid markers requires a player to study his map for a few seconds, a huge disadvantage when under fire.

It would be nice to have a system like Mumble which is used in Project Reality which makes it so your voice chat is only heard by people in your immediate vicinity, so split-second combat information reaches the people that it is relevant to.

Upvote 0
What needs to happen is players that do not use in game voip should STAY FAR AWAY FROM SQUADLEADER position.

I always squadlead using voice and coordination as much as I can. But some 1337 noob (usually very good twitch players and experienced in throwing smoke) is always in the SL position not doing any teamwork but for throwing smoke.

This is the community's fault. Zero teamplayers must quit the squadleader position forever. Leave that to teamplayers with a microphone.

Upvote 0
Communication is really hard for two reasons. Players have the option of either talking to the whole team, in which case their information is likely irrelevant for most of the people hearing it, or talking to only their squad, which is likely scattered all over the map because the only squad member whose location is indicated on your screen is the squad leader.

Secondly, in most cases it's extremely difficult to describe locations accurately and efficiently because scenery generally is indistinguishable (all the houses on Spartanovka for example) and because the use of grid markers requires a player to study his map for a few seconds, a huge disadvantage when under fire.

It would be nice to have a system like Mumble which is used in Project Reality which makes it so your voice chat is only heard by people in your immediate vicinity, so split-second combat information reaches the people that it is relevant to.

It isn't hard if you move together to describe enemy location. Everyone almost on this game just plays solo run'n gun or solo camper basically. That is the problem, the players. Too many old RO1 players I think don't really know how teamwork has grown in game like project reality. RO1 I never played, but from what I hear about the mechanics, it didn't have proper teamplay and tactics; due to spawn mechanics, which aren't working in RO2 (SL SPAWN).

Upvote 0

These are good points, but not insurmountable. Most of the time the "split-second" info is heard and/or understood too late to do anything about it anyway, so you have to try to relay information that will still be useful after the instant is gone. Less "MG, lookout, behind you!" (he's toast if you have to warn him that urgently) and more "MG at D is down, Germans have infiltrated D from the right flank". Positional audio would be nice (I would rather it be in the game than supportive of Mumble--even though I have and use Mumble, I sort of hate 3rd party voice clients in a game that has VOIP already), but even a non-positional "local" channel for nearby players only would be nice too. RO1 had that, but iirc it was mostly broken and really never seemed to have gotten fixed (perhaps explaining why it did not make it into this game).

I would add that together with this strategy goes hand-in-hand the "squad awareness and participation" strategy, but I suppose that's another topic.

Upvote 0
I agree that overall team VOIP is making specific orders less clear. I often need to speak to people by name (and some of them are real tongue-breakers) to give local order, I have little to no idea who is the MG on my team so I call for MG support on team VOIP and warning people against an MG, snipers, grenades and so on is nearly useless as you have to warn EVERYONE EVERYWHERE.

Nevertheless, it is possible to communicate with people - just had the game on 40-1 and we had 3-4 people speaking (squad leaders via VOIP) and the rest has responded via chat and it was great to see people listening. When we were low on tickets everyone was told to retreat and all casualties we had were from uncareful positioning, not attacking the enemy head on. Never saw people heeding their commander's call so well before. We won both rounds on the map where the Soviets (usually) lose.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I absolutely agree that communication makes this game shine. I do feel that more players need to:

1:Learn the VOIP button config. Remap as necessary. Often, I've seen people type in "What button is talk?". Which shows a willingness to learn so that's good.

2. Learn the cardinal directions for the map. Yes, the left side of D in Spartanovka could be construed as North, but to a person facing North, left is West. If I tell my team, "MG North of D" and they know which direction that is, then the whole team knows there's an MG there. As opposed to "MG left of D" which is open to interpretation. Keep in mind, relative direction can be useful in squad chat if your squad is staying together, but if you're telling everyone, use cardinal.

3. Give pertinent information. Where are you and what is happening there. If you're moving through the South side of D in Spartanovka and you're encountering little to no resistance, tell your team. This doesn't mean, continually telling them "Covering South! Still Covering South! Nothing going on in South D!" or talking about your cat. Say what's going on where. Update your team as necessary.

4: Announce your arrival. How many times have you tk'd or have been tk'd in the hall at Red Barracks? Tell your team "Friendlies entering hall at barracks." Before you enter. If you've just pulled the flanking maneuver of the year in Fallen Fighters, let your team know so they don't plink you off because they assume that side is for the bad guys. If you're in a contested area, the bullets are flying, make sure they fly the right way.

There's loads of other tips here:

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=69658

Which is a great resource for effective comms. I try to use just about every tip in there. Check it out.

EDIT: 3D VOIP would be an awesome addition to this game. PLEASE ADD!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I rarely call in Arial Recon....... I think lastnight was the 1st time I was asked to call in recon on spartinovka for a specific target... The guys were gettign shot in the back from far off on a flank and couldn't locate a target... that was a great reason to get a plane in the sky...

Are you kidding me? Air Recon underrated? Sorry but what have you been smoking? You know how devistating a well placed sniper or a group of riflemen who are hidden can be?

Also when the team is attacking it gives them a massive advantage to know the location of every enemy in-front of them as it completely hands them the initiative.

Also helps plug gaps asap.

Personally I play tank whenever possible, I have limited vision and relay heavly on team chat to know where my support is needed. It is a god send to get aerial recon because it allows me in those few moments it's up to place a series of well aimed HE rounds into mg/sniper nests along and allows me to break open strong points or wipe out an attacking wave. (even spot the always dangerous A.T trooper or Tank hunting me.)

Air Recon is a VERY important part of team play and can turn the tide just as effectively an arty barrage, if not more so.

When I call it as a commander I always let me team know it's coming and ask them to orientate themselves, 5 seconds later you can literally see the ratio of kills go up in favor of your team as enemies are located and neutralized.

Don't dish it because you don't know how to use it...

Upvote 0
Are you kidding me? Air Recon underrated? Sorry but what have you been smoking? You know how devistating a well placed sniper or a group of riflemen who are hidden can be?

Also when the team is attacking it gives them a massive advantage to know the location of every enemy in-front of them as it completely hands them the initiative.

Also helps plug gaps asap.

Personally I play tank whenever possible, I have limited vision and relay heavly on team chat to know where my support is needed. It is a god send to get aerial recon because it allows me in those few moments it's up to place a series of well aimed HE rounds into mg/sniper nests along and allows me to break open strong points or wipe out an attacking wave. (even spot the always dangerous A.T trooper or Tank hunting me.)

Air Recon is a VERY important part of team play and can turn the tide just as effectively an arty barrage, if not more so.

When I call it as a commander I always let me team know it's coming and ask them to orientate themselves, 5 seconds later you can literally see the ratio of kills go up in favor of your team as enemies are located and neutralized.

Don't dish it because you don't know how to use it...

I use it only when I cannot get info from the team on where the attacks are coming from.... if not many people are communicating then I need it... I would rather be out fighting, capping or defending then sitting at a radio.. Radio is for calling arty.... hehehehehehhehehehe:eek:

Upvote 0
Fair enough easter,

We all have our playing style, Commander is suppose to support the team, not be an extra machine gun. I completely and utterly agree in the fact he should only have a pistol to prevent people using at as an extra "attacker" slot.

As I stated before I normally get a lot of "quick" kills as soon as the recon goes up as it's extremely easy when you know where people are... as I said before there is nothing more annoying then a well placed sniper on the flank who just eats away at the teams reinforcement points....

Upvote 0
Actually the past few nights I have been using the Recon a lot more. The communication has been terrible. :mad:
So yes on teams with only 4-6 people talking it is much needed...
Its funny on a steam roller like on Spartinovka when the germans cap the 1st 4 caps in like 4-5 min arty and recon not needed till the last cap. Happened lastnight. But its always hard to tell if its becuse of a great attacking team or a poor defensive team.:confused:

Upvote 0