• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Commando Tips

I need almost 2m dmg before I hit rank 5.
That and like 250 stalkers, which is nothing.

At lvl 4 I think A bloat takes around 27 or 28 body shots on suicidal, which is roughly 1k damage. So I guess you could use that information to your advantage to try to get your damage up, as he is a big target, is slow, doesn't enrage and is ridiculously easy to hit. :D

Upvote 0
:eek: Um... I presume this is the same Bullpup I am using. Is this on normal difficulty? :eek:
Or is it in solo gameplay?

edit. Just went and did the math.

It take avg 4 headshots for a rank 5 commando to kill a solo player beginner siren, 8 for solo player normal.

It take avg 16 headshots or 17 bodyshots for a rank 5 commando to kill a 6ppl hard siren (its a range that span between 13 to 24 bullets. It is only 10% differnece in headshot vs bodyshot damage on the bullpup, but as you know headshots still rawk on zeds you can decapitate)
Avg 23 headshots or 25 bodyshots for a rank 5 commando to kill a 6ppl suicidal siren...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
People that say carrying a Deagle as a commando arent being very effective. The Deagle is useless...just an overpriced piece of junk, unless your facing a target that can soak up alot of damage or is bigger than your average targets as commando which you shouldnt be targeting anyway.

Carrying dual pistols is a waste also - Worst weapons ever - If you're capable of headshots you have no need to carry another pistol - stick to mozambique style drills with single pistol and you should be fine, otherwise all it will do is chew through your ammo, also, if your down to pistol, you should really be thinking about fighting more defensively because you've just lost your primary weapon.

- Cali

Upvote 0
People that say carrying a Deagle as a commando arent being very effective. The Deagle is useless...just an overpriced piece of junk, unless your facing a target that can soak up alot of damage or is bigger than your average targets as commando which you shouldnt be targeting anyway.

Carrying dual pistols is a waste also - Worst weapons ever - If you're capable of headshots you have no need to carry another pistol - stick to mozambique style drills with single pistol and you should be fine, otherwise all it will do is chew through your ammo, also, if your down to pistol, you should really be thinking about fighting more defensively because you've just lost your primary weapon.

- Cali
Point of having dual handcannons (or chainsaw) is to use it on zeds that can not be decapitated and that have a lot of health. Such as the scrake. Or the patriarch.

Commando only deal 10% more damage with handcannon headshots, so they might as well spam bullets without "taking aim" when used against a scrake (they can not be decapitated until very hurt).

You want to bring down an enraged scrake as soon as possible, so you spam your bullets as fast as possible. Dual handcannons have a faster rate of fire than a single handcannon.

You don't want to reload while an enraged scrake is rushing you. Dual handcannons pack twice as many bullets before you need to reload.

Dual handcannons are less than

Upvote 0
Point of having dual handcannons (or chainsaw) is to use it on zeds that can not be decapitated and that have a lot of health. Such as the scrake. Or the patriarch.

Commando only deal 10% more damage with handcannon headshots, so they might as well spam bullets without "taking aim" when used against a scrake (they can not be decapitated until very hurt).

You want to bring down an enraged scrake as soon as possible, so you spam your bullets as fast as possible. Dual handcannons have a faster rate of fire than a single handcannon.

You don't want to reload while an enraged scrake is rushing you. Dual handcannons pack twice as many bullets before you need to reload.

Dual handcannons are less than

Upvote 0
Sirens aren't hard to kill .As long as you put your crosshair over the siren's face before she ****s up your aim, your shots will all hit. Put it on full auto and unload into that *****'s face.

I'm actually able to take down sirens really effectively...I'd argue commando si one of the better classes suited to taking her down. It's only scrakes we struggle against.

Upvote 0
I'm actually able to take down sirens really effectively...I'd argue commando si one of the better classes suited to taking her down. It's only scrakes we struggle against.
Agreed (sharpshooters are probably better at it though), but she does soak alot of bullets for commando which kinda suck at higher difficult settings (i run out of bullpup ammo when i play suicidal)

Upvote 0
point nr.2 on OPs post is dumb

NEVER put a bullpup on single-fire

if you are aiming for a shot decap just click the mouse, if you want a single fire thing, take the 9mm

also bullpup does less damage when on semi-auto so yeah keeping it on semi auto is dumb

wht if you miss the head decap? what if scrake/FP/siren jumps into your face?

there is no point in single-fire option ither than it herlps handicapped people that cant click a mouse fast (but at the same time it handicaps them for damage :p)

speaking from countless hours of commando with around 7M bullpup damage and around 7k stalker kills alltogether

and yes I used bullpup on suicidal effectively a few times and havent ran out of ammo most of the time

Upvote 0
there is no point in single-fire option ither than it herlps handicapped people that cant click a mouse fast (but at the same time it handicaps them for damage :p)

WHAT? The entire post was already hard to read, but how does that make sense at all?

Also, Monolithos you said later this week for the update? Do you have some inside sources at work here or did I miss a post somewhere?

Upvote 0
WHAT? The entire post was already hard to read, but how does that make sense at all?

Also, Monolithos you said later this week for the update? Do you have some inside sources at work here or did I miss a post somewhere?

to clear it up:
there is no point in single fire option because whule using automatic fire option you can just tap the mouse for firing 1 ****

and

when using automatic fire option bullerts deal more damage even if you only fire 1 bullet at a time

@Calexus: Just lol, even at lv5 copmmando dual handcannons have way higher DPS than bullpup, lets not mention that their only flaw (reload time) is shortened by 30% because of being a commando

seriously dual handcannons have way higher DPS than other weapons and with the exception of support, they should be used as any class when fighting the patriarch, and as a commando or medic, when fighting scrakes

Upvote 0
seriously dual handcannons have way higher DPS than other weapons
I would not say it have "way higher DPS", atleast not if you consider reload times.

I also noticed the other day that i miss-read the code for hunter shotguns.

I thought it shot 10 pellets with the alt fire (and 6 pellets with the normal fire, for a total of 12 pellets for both barrels). Infact the hunter shotgun alt fire shot 10 pellets per shot for a total of 20 pellets (which is more than x3 times as much potential damage than if you fire both barrels one at a time). Each pellet does 50 damage (75 as support spec) for a total of 1000 damage per alt fire (1500 for support spec) if all pellets hit. You can alt fire once every 2.75 sec. This give hunter shotgun alt fire a theoretical max of 363 damage per second overall, including clip size and reload times (and 545 DPS for support specs). Not counting pellets that hit the headshot hitbox (they deal 10% more damage).

Dual handcannons deal 115 damage per bullet, got 16 bullet clip, 0,13 sec between shots and a 3.50 sec reload time. This give a theoretical max of 354 damage per second overall, including clip size and reload times (and ~368 DPS for commando that only have a ~2,69 sec reload time and 663 DPS for sharpshooters that deal 50% more bullet damage). Not counting bullets that hit the headshot hitbox (they deal 10% more damage, 65% for sharpshooters).

Commando using bullpup deal 39 damage per bullet, got 50 bullet clip, 0,10 sec between shots and a ~1,51 sec reload time. This give a theoretical max of 299 damage per second overall, including clip size and reload times. Not counting bullets that hit the headshot hitbox (they deal 10% more damage).

[Note that it is probably easier to press the key and hold it down to fire full auto with the bullpup as a commando or alt fire the hunter shotgun once every time it is up than to manually spam 7-8 bullets per second with handcannons while compensating for its recoil as non-sharpshooter. So at close range where all your pellets will hit, i'd say that hunter shotgun > dual handcannons for everyone except commando and sharpshooter]

Highest theoretical damage per second overall, counting clip size and reload times, is the crossbow. As long as you fire it as soon as next bolt is ready (every 1,8 sec) and that every shot hits the headshot hitbox it will deal 1000 DPS (and more than twice that for sharpshooters). However, it is at the same time one of the worst weapons for body shots with it's 166 DPS for non-sharpshooters (lower than LAW, or 250 DPS for sharpshooters).

Until patch handcannons (or chainsaw) are both good backup weapons for the commando.

Odds are, however, that AK47 will have a comparable overall DPS (counting clip size, fire rate, damage per bullet and reload time) to the handcannon (and that commando using AK47 full auto will do comparable overall DPS to a sharpshooter spamming dual handcannons or a support spec using hunter shotgun alt fire or a berserker using chainsaw alt fire [ie a theoretical max somewhere in the region of 550-700 overall DPS]).

...a interesting support spec level 5 payload at the patriarch wave would be xbow headshots for range and hunter shotgun alt fire for close quarters (21/23kg)....

I hope my numbers are correct this time :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was about to say more than MOST of the other weapons

also you are comparing its lv0 perk versus lv5 perks which most peoplre dont even have

and BTW even with just slight added DPS on handcannons they are way more effective against scrakes since when they enrage you can kill them very fast (and reload time does not matter at that time) while it takes forever even at lv5 commando (tested it)

as for AK it will most likely replace the cannons but thats because 50% additional dmg as commando is huge already for bullpup

other classes should most likely keep handcannons (except supports)
thogh before patriarch round SSs are better of with single handcannon, while firebug shoud have dual handcannons at all times, same can be said for medic, while for zerker its optional

Upvote 0
NEVER put a bullpup on single-fire
I frequently do, it is a great way to conserve ammo and drop single targets, and I can always switch back to full-auto when I see a group of 3 or more. I like to be accurate with my shots.

if you are aiming for a shot decap just click the mouse, if you want a single fire thing, take the 9mm
Or just put the bullpup on semi-auto, make your single shot decap and then switch back to full-auto (if you like). I personally do aim for several headshot decapitations in a row.

also bullpup does less damage when on semi-auto so yeah keeping it on semi auto is dumb
The shot damage should not matter if you are aiming for a headshot decapitation, if it is a critical headshot, the head is removed regardless of the damage. So this difference is really neglible. The zed will bleed out all the same. Wasting several bullets on full-auto (and a few bullets missing the head completely) on something that can be taken down easily with a few semi-auto headshots (usually not much more than one or two) is a bit silly in my opinion. :p

wht if you miss the head decap? what if scrake/FP/siren jumps into your face?
If someone really has such a lousy aim and misses the head on semi-auto that consistently from even almost a point-blank range, then he should just forget using semi-auto, put his Bullpup to full-automatic and spray in the general direction of the head? (And then switch to Support or a Firebug in the next wave and never bother with Commando again until he learns to aim properly.)

Just make sure you ALWAYS set your Bullpup on full-automatic the second you spot a Scrake, Fleshpound or a Siren, and tell your team about the threat so they know to be wary of it. Especially if you are going for a Fleshpound Decap.

I am not sure what that meant, but are you suggesting switching to semi-auto (where you have to click the mouse for every single shot) is making it easier or faster to shoot for disabled people that are unable to click mouse fast? This make absolutely no sense. Can you please elaborate a little?

speaking from countless hours of commando with around 7M bullpup damage and around 7k stalker kills alltogether

and yes I used bullpup on suicidal effectively a few times and havent ran out of ammo most of the time

So have I, what is the point of this one? To prove a point you are a brave player for daring to venture into realms of suicidal as a Commando (a few times), and by doing so you have officially become the most awesomestest KF-player on the planet? I reached level 5 a while ago, and last time I played I only had 4.5M damage and 3100-odd stalker kills. :)

And no, I have never run out of ammo for bullpup either. :confused:
Must be because I use Bullpup in Semi-automatic mode for all the weaker zeds and use Handcannon(s) as a backup. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
and BTW even with just slight added DPS on handcannons they are way more effective against scrakes since when they enrage you can kill them very fast (and reload time does not matter at that time) while it takes forever even at lv5 commando (tested it)
Yes, as long as you don't have to reload - such as when an already enraged scrake is rushing you- dual handcannons deal most damage of all weapons.

I use bullpup on full auto all the time.

I find it easier and faster to decapitate gorefasts with a 2-4 bullet burst compared to single fire (but that is mostly because i still need to practice a bit more where to aim to decapitate them with one bullet).

And most of the time i spend a few bullets to shoot crawlers so they die even if i am pretty sure that i did decapitate it on my first bullet. Mostly because they are such a high prio target and when in a hurry it is a bit hard to tell if your bullet decapitated it or not (cant really see if their black head is still there between their black legs or if it is a black bleeding stump - yes, they bleed out and dont die straight away from a single bullpup headshot on suicidal).

I also spray and pray around me in panic situations so gorefasts get stunned and clots let go of me *blush*.

Other than that, for bloats, clots and stalkers, i try to klick fast enough to decapitate them using only single fire even though my bullpup is set on full-auto. But when things hit the fan i tend to spray more bullets at head height than i need... :/

If things calm down a bit I also tend to decapitate zombies with my 9mm :)

Soanos is correct though - Semi or auto doesn't really matter as long as you never aim to straight out kill a zeds that can be decapitated by body shots. Well, except if you are not level 5 yet. Then you pretty much want to deal as much damage per wave as possible i guess....?

mm- Maybe i should try semi and treat the bullpup as a 9mm handgun but with a 50 bullet clip :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0