• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RO2 Commander Incentives

dwhee

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Ever since Rising Storm was released, Squad Leaders have been at the top of nearly every scoreboard due to the points they get for spawning teammates. It's simply 1 point per spawn, even if the SL is in spawn.

I think it's a little excessive personally, and could use some tuning. However, I am in favor of the concept of rewarding specialized roles for performing their standard duties. The points SLs now get for artillery marks are a welcome addition.

Meanwhile, commanders still get auto-kicked for artillery barrages all the time. This is sometimes necessary- new commanders commonly make the mistake of calling artillery on the front of a point, denying your own troops access. Still, many effective artillery barrages kill some friendlies. I would prefer a system where a commander is only penalized for arty TKs if the artillery killed less or very few of the enemy.

And what about force respawns? People often spam voice chat with "Press N commander!" Shouldn't Commanders receive credit for using force respawns effectively? I would like this, but it would be tricky in my opinion because the value of force respawns are different on offense and defense. On defense I try to save them for moments when a lot of people just died, but the cap is still recoverable. On offense I use them early and often, recognizing that people won't head directly from spawn to cap anyway.

In addition, spawning SLs should be worth more points, and possibly, spawning players who spawned on SL should be worth more for the commander. People complain when a force respawn causes them to lose their SL-spawn, and rightly so. To avoid this, don't spawn people immediately after their names appear in the list.

And aerial recon? You could reward commanders teampoints for the amount of time they remain near a radio during recon. That way commanders are encouraged to stay near a radio as long as possible. I would suggest 5 points for staying through a whole recon.

I realize that this is a bit overkill for rewarding someone for merely taking a position, but it's not that extreme compared to what SLs currently receive. I'd like to see it refined to the point where both SLs and Commanders receive appropriate credit, encouraging them to play their roles effectively, but not encouraging everyone to want to play SL and Commander.

Good points.

I like the improvements for the SL and hoped for some stuff for the TL ... but nothing.

Don't know if it would be possile to reward his aerial recon just via time next to a radio, but maybe they could add kill (or better spot) assists points for every via recon spotted enemy killed during an arty strike.

Also 5 or 10 Points for every forced respawn ...

Upvote 0