• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

CoD 4 Visuals - pwn pwn pwn

Nestor Makhno

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2006
Penryn, Cornwall
CoD4's Pripyat makes Stalker look like RO. The beginning of the sniper mission there is far and away the most atmospheric thing I have ever played.

The Azerbaijani village is pretty special too.

South Russia next - woo-hoo!

Some of the textures are a bit bumpy-shiney but not enough to ruin superb immersion.

Gameplay is still twitch-fest malarkey bollox tho :(

Last edited:
Point being that if Infinity Ward really wanted to push the boundaries of the the genre, the elaborate cinematic illusions their technology is capable of would fall apart.

Nestor, does COD4 have the same sense of dread, doom and shear atmosphere in the Pripyat level as the final assault with Duty in Stalker? I would have serious trouble believing that. I probably won't find out until the game hits $29.99 on Steam.

Upvote 0
It does not - it has the sense of being a crumbling, ruined, ****ty, Brezhnev-era Soviet town-turned-ghost town.

The ruined apartment block in 'South Russia' when you are chasing Zakhaev's son is very, very convincing - I could almost smell the smouldering polyester curtains. I know a bit (not much) about level design and I would say that the devs sent an art team over to live in Russia for a while.

It's the first non-Russian-designed game that actually appears to be in Russia not some abstract fantasy of what Russia is like.

BTW the entire storyboard of the game appears to have been scripted by Dick Cheney.

Here are some screens:

Getting into Pripyat:

pripyat_scrub.jpg

After the 'hit' (coriolis effect ftw):

pripyat_building.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What I am most impressed by is how well it runs and looks.

Same here!

I wonder what their secret is, cos all COD games have managed to do this flawlessly!

Some online levels look miles better then CS:Source but runs so much better with sooooo much more going on!

I apsolutly love watching how you were killed. Adds so much more to the fun factor. This is the only COD game I have played online btw!

Last edited:
Upvote 0