• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Co-op mutators

Sammers

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 2, 2009
Scotland
I would like to put forward some ideas that would spice up gameplay and forcing teams to be more....team-like. Regardless to say, these would probably not work out on a public game. They shouldn't be too hard to make, for TWI or a modder and I'm sure there's a fair chance of them being whitelisted.

1.Co-op Money Mutator
All money earned goes into a single pot. The players each share this pot. It will demand a greater deal of planning and communication to decide who buys what and when to buy it.
2.Co-op Weight
As above, but it's the weight that is shared, requiring again more team participation.

Feel free to suggest more, as these are all I thought up and more might need to be changed to make these work, such as a little extra trader time.

I would like to put forward some ideas that would spice up gameplay and forcing teams to be more....team-like. Regardless to say, these would probably not work out on a public game. They shouldn't be too hard to make, for TWI or a modder and I'm sure there's a fair chance of them being whitelisted.

1.Co-op Money Mutator
All money earned goes into a single pot. The players each share this pot. It will demand a greater deal of planning and communication to decide who buys what and when to buy it.
2.Co-op Weight
As above, but it's the weight that is shared, requiring again more team participation.

Feel free to suggest more, as these are all I thought up and more might need to be changed to make these work, such as a little extra trader time.

You know, the co-op money would be amazing...until a single noob or troll joins, spends it all on LAWs, and then leaves.

I really love these ideas, but they require a good team, for a bad team could steal all your money and weight and then scream at you for using a pistol.

Upvote 0
The pot sounds like a great idea. The griefing potential is there, but it's no worse than FF.

How about...

Playing Blind - you don't see the little displays above the other players' heads.

Rescue - you can carry/throw another player at 10 blocks, during which you cannot use any weapon. Also, if someone gets hit, they immediately stop healing and have to be injected again, so you'll have to clear the area and get the wounded to safety first.

Dies The Fire - all player speech binds and voice chat are heard as ingame sounds, so you have to be within earshot of someone to hear what they're saying. Advantage: If someone says "Look out!" upon seeing a fleshpound and you haven't been mentally tracking where everyone is, you're not left guessing as to the pounder's location.

Divide/Conquer - the fastest zeds in a group will try to move into the middle of a visible group of players and try to dominate the area in between before heading straight for the players, forcing the players to split up while the slower zeds begin to flank or attack.

Diminishing Returns - the more kills you have, the less damage you deal, until other players begin overtaking you on the chart. (There could be an inverse effect with the fewer kills you do, which could lead to tactics where you sort of "bank" your "kill credits" to do some massive damage in the later waves.)

First Past The Post 1 - the zeds spawn constantly and you're always under full pressure, but they all run away and disappear once you kill enough of them to end the wave.

First Past The Post 2 - players respawn instantly during a wave, but if the zeds score six kills you're all brown bread. (unfortunately very, very griefable)

New Life - when you die, you respawn as or take control of an already spawned monster. (If there are no monsters left to spawn and no existing mosnters not already player-controlled, you spectate as usual.) You'll always be appropriate for that wave, but otherwise the game will try to spawn you as a random thing between stalker/gorefast and scrake. The mechanics are entirely the same and all interface is edited so that you cannot communicate to anyone and there is no way for anyone else to tell which zed is you. If you're killed as a monster, that's it and you spectate as normal and your killer gets the same money as they would for killing a normal monster of the same type. If you kill a (non-zombified) player, though, you get a lot of money - more than enough to cover both players' survival bonuses. As a monster you cannot damage another monster unless either of you is a bloat or husk (i.e., same infighting rules as the normal zeds).

Spawn Random - each player spawns at a random spot. Item spawn spots, patriarch spawn spots and trader doors can be used as reference points.

No Trader - the trader is gone from the game entirely. Between waves you can only regroup, heal, and scavenge. Upside: any weapon can potentially be spawned. With this mutator on, if you set the trader time to zero then the zed counter is hidden and you just get a continuous stream of monsters until the patriarch appears.

She Likes The Big WHAT!? - you lose the syringe, the MP7 altfire just switches between semi and auto, and all medics spawn as berserkers of equivalent level. Any weapon can potentially be spawned on the map. The trader is now the healer.

No Cutscene - when the patriarch appears, it doesn't interrupt the game. Upside: If he spawns nearby you can react. Downside: If he spawns far away you have no idea where he is.

Bunnyhopping Zeds - zeds bunnyhop as they move, making headshots much more difficult.

Mushroom Treatment - you are given no information about which wave it is, how long you've got for the trader, or how many zeds are left in the wave, and the trader arrow is hidden until the wave is finished. Trader lasts for two and a half minutes, however. Any zed can potentially spawn in any wave, though usually normal expectations are mostly met.

Market Forces - prices randomly fluctuate, even while you're in the shop. The more often an item is bought, the pricier it is on average until people stop buying it and it starts going down again.

While Supplies Last - the trader has a random inventory that is not the full selection of weapons. What she does have, both weapons and ammo as well as armour, are in limited amounts. (griefable)

VIP - each wave, one person suddenly becomes a level zero medic. If this person dies, everyone loses half their money. (possibly griefable)

FF Lite - you do 100% damage on allies but you can't kill them - a player's last hitpoint can only be taken away by a zed or their own explosives.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Playing Blind - you don't see the little displays above the other players' heads.

That would be the pain in the a*s for Medic. And would be harder to locate your team-mates.

Diminishing Returns - the more kills you have, the less damage you deal, until other players begin overtaking you on the chart. (There could be an inverse effect with the fewer kills you do, which could lead to tactics where you sort of "bank" your "kill credits" to do some massive damage in the later waves.)

Sounds ridiculous.

New Life - when you die, you respawn as or take control of an already spawned monster. (If there are no monsters left to spawn and no existing mosnters not already player-controlled, you spectate as usual.) You'll always be appropriate for that wave, but otherwise the game will try to spawn you as a random thing between stalker/gorefast and scrake. The mechanics are entirely the same and all interface is edited so that you cannot communicate to anyone and there is no way for anyone else to tell which zed is you. If you're killed as a monster, that's it and you spectate as normal and your killer gets the same money as they would for killing a normal monster of the same type. If you kill a (non-zombified) player, though, you get a lot of money - more than enough to cover both players' survival bonuses. As a monster you cannot damage another monster unless either of you is a bloat or husk (i.e., same infighting rules as the normal zeds).

I think there's a mod for this, and "Smart" zombies are boring.

No Trader - the trader is gone from the game entirely. Between waves you can only regroup, heal, and scavenge. Upside: any weapon can potentially be spawned. With this mutator on, if you set the trader time to zero then the zed counter is hidden and you just get a continuous stream of monsters until the patriarch appears.

There's already a mutator for this. Well maybe not for everything u want but there is.

She Likes The Big WHAT!? - you lose the syringe, the MP7 altfire just switches between semi and auto, and all medics spawn as berserkers of equivalent level. Any weapon can potentially be spawned on the map. The trader is now the healer.

This means, everyone is dead. Could be used for ppl who thinks that suicidal is easy (If there's any, don't count M14 spammers)

No Cutscene - when the patriarch appears, it doesn't interrupt the game. Upside: If he spawns nearby you can react. Downside: If he spawns far away you have no idea where he is.

I like this one. Cuz when Patty spawns, often ppl know where he spawned and goes hunting him. This should be in reverse IMO.

VIP - each wave, one person suddenly becomes a level zero medic. If this person dies, everyone loses half their money. (possibly griefable)

Meh, i thought this is something more exciting, like if he dies, then 5 FP's spawns somewhere near.

FF Lite - you do 100% damage on allies but you can't kill them - a player's last hitpoint can only be taken away by a zed or their own explosives.

Yeah, kinda good idea.

Reactions: Vaecrius
Upvote 0
1.Co-op Money Mutator

I like this one. It'd be great to have less people whining about kill-stealing and everyone having an even amount of cash, but it's doomed to die. Think about some noob commando using the team's money to buy an AA-12.

A better solution would be to divide all money earnt amongst the players. Say, someone kills a ZED for

Upvote 0
I like this one. It'd be great to have less people whining about kill-stealing and everyone having an even amount of cash, but it's doomed to die. Think about some noob commando using the team's money to buy an AA-12.
You know, the co-op money would be amazing...until a single noob or troll joins, spends it all on LAWs, and then leaves.

I really love these ideas, but they require a good team, for a bad team could steal all your money and weight and then scream at you for using a pistol.
Like I said, they wouldn't do too well on a public server. More of a challenge for those best of friends and veterans. In fact, I think I said it twice.

Spawn Random - each player spawns at a random spot. Item spawn spots, patriarch spawn spots and trader doors can be used as reference points.

I like.

That would be the pain in the a*s for Medic. And would be harder to locate your team-mates.
Also, I think that's the whole point in adding it. There was a deathmatch mutator that removed these anyway, so in theory, it already exists sort of.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
1.Co-op Money Mutator
this would work well if combined with the idea whenever a player leaves it distributes his money to the remaining players
problem solved

Upvote 0