• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Close Combat

Zabuza

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 21, 2009
Hello Tripwire forum members!

I don't have so much of a suggestion, as an area I feel needs improvement. Although bayonets are deadly effective, and bashing opponents when they don't see you is enjoyable, the system as a whole does not work very well. Too many times I have been in close combat with an opponent - both of us wielding rifles - for the battle to become a strafing/left-click fest.
When you find yourself face to face with an enemy rifle and you have a rifle yourself, your best option is to try and shoot them point blank, and if you miss to hit your bolt and try again. This, from what I understand, it quite unrealistic (if I was face to face with an enemy I would want to bash him). If you do try to charge, assuming you have a bayonet, with the enemy just backing up they can usually get one or two shots off at you.

Assuming everyone agrees that this is a problem, the best solution I have come up with is to increase the range for the bayonet both forward/back as well as left/right, just to make it a better weapon in general. This, hopefully, would encourage players to go for a charge, because, if you miss the first bayonet charge, and they are shooting you, the confrontation is essentially over. Secondly, for just the bash attack (right-click without bayonet), as well as increasing the range of the weapon add a screen effect that makes targeting with your gun much more difficult - similar to an artillery strike but hopefully more disorienting. With this in place, after you hit them once their ability to shoot at you is hurt and they will hopefully chose to instead engage in hand-to-hand combat as they try to hit you back.

Again, these ideas were more or less off the top of my head. How the problem of unrealistic close confrontations is solved is not my big issue, just as long as it is solved. As it stands, the bunny-hopping left-click-smashing approach to hand-to-hand combat needs improvement.

Bayonets are supposed to be more deadly than rifle butts. Buffing a normal melee hit to "disorient" an opponent will cause fewer people to opt for the bayonet as it will be less powerful by comparison.

The only improvement needed is hit detection. Once in the Leningrad command bunker I ran into an enemy assault class. He took a few shots at me but happened to be low on ammo. When he ran out without killing me he charged in with a melee attack. He swung twice, both missed, and then proceeded to reload his gun. All this is going on while I'm stabbing at him with my bayonet. I get 6 stabs off before he reloads; only 1 hits but it doesn't kill him. He successfully reloads and goes on to blow my head off. I successfully die and proceed to ragequit.

Every one of my stabs looked like it was clearly hitting him, but alas the game thought otherwise. I'm not sure if melee combat is even improvable on the Unreal engine, but it would be awesome to make it a little more responsive.

Upvote 0
Yes bayonets are fine, but weapon butts are NOT.

the weapon butts just dont work, nearly every time i try to do it it, im actually running into the player and when i try hit them, it just doesnt register, its so CLUNCKY. In real life, you would have much more control. A bayonet is thrusting it forward in the enemy, but hand to hand combat with a blunt object is a different thing.

Ive been playing RO for a number of years now and i have to say the worst and most annoying let down of the game is the weapon butt attack.
I sincerely hope the devs take notice of this, because it would be a great help towards the game and stop those frustrating points of the game where you chase an opponent around for ages trying to butt him, until eventually he turns round and shoots you.

Upvote 0
I really like your idea of a none fatal but smack or bayo hit having the same disorienting effect as artillery landing near you.

Would certainly go someway towards correcting those situations where you manage to charge a guy reloading his weapon only to wound him slightly while he calmly finishes reloading his subby, and cuts you in half with it.

Upvote 0
A person should have their reload interrupted if they get smacked. They should not be able to point their gun at you when their gun barrel is longer than the distance to the target. And the bash attack really is too small. I can understand the small hit detection for stabbing since it's a pokey thing but swinging your rifle should cover much more area.

A mutator for this would be good.

Upvote 0