• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Classic: weapon accuracy, hitzones etc.

I think if we're going to have an injury system, we may as well embrace the possibility of suiciding as a game mechanic rather than fear the inevitable. In real combat, many incapacitations are simply a matter of the victim giving up due to the pain/fear being too great. If the suicide animations did a better job of depicting this, it'd improve the believability of the game, rather than hurting it.

Imagine a player gets shot in the leg while wandering in no-mans land. After spending several minutes attempting to limp to his objective and getting nowhere, he gives up and enters the suicide command. Rather than spontaneously exploding like a UT character, he could slump over into a fetal position clutching his legs, slowly passing out from shock.

These avatars could even assume an AI behavior, laying in the dirt moaning intermittently as if they are still alive, but incapacitated. When a player "suicides" without any injuries, his avatar could become a "shell shocked" AI, huddling or crawling about in their trench crying or yelling unintelligibly.

Of course "incapacitated AI" would have to take damage and potentially die if caught in crossfire, or deliberately targeted by an enemy or teammate. I'm not sure how you'd want to handle scoring - should killing an incapacitated/shellshocked teammate subtract points, or should avatars be removed from the scoring system as soon as their player suicides? I don't think killing an enemy who's already incapacitated should give you extra points as if you are killing a living player, but if killing incapacitated teammates didn't carry some score weight, everyone would just shoot the shellshocked friendly AI for fun - rather than only if they became a hazard.

As long as suiciding players lose a ticket and wait to respawn, I don't see how it harms gameplay, and the animations could provide a nice touch of immersion if done properly.

That's not a bad idea, but I still feel there's something weird about situations where the best way to help your team is to suicide. Confusing to say at the least :D

Upvote 0
i'm with you on that. i'll glady eneter a nice empty server with him and let him try and prove what he says. he doesn't even have to dive to prone. i'll expose my head at 300 meters and lets see how well he can hit it. how much you bet he brings the sniper rifle? ;)
what do ya say, sam? you up for showing us all how easy it really is?

I'd like to see it. A Prone dive and instant fire headshot is hard enough at 200m. I certainly can't do that with any regularity, much less at 300m.

Upvote 0
I'd like to see it. A Prone dive and instant fire headshot is hard enough at 200m. I certainly can't do that with any regularity, much less at 300m.
I doubt he's gonna take me up on the offer. if you wanna take a shot at hitting my head at three hundred, just to reinforce the fact you can't, let me know. :)

in fact, unless i'm standing on a ridge, silhouetted, I doubt most people could see me and hit any part of my body.

Upvote 0
I doubt he's gonna take me up on the offer. if you wanna take a shot at hitting my head at three hundred, just to reinforce the fact you can't, let me know. :)

in fact, unless i'm standing on a ridge, silhouetted, I doubt most people could see me and hit any part of my body.

I gave it a go ingame, and you're right! The ranges I was talking about are closer to 175-225m (roughly across FallenFighters). Nevertheless it seems strange to me that it's so easy to get a headshot at those ranges, jump into the steam workshop and see what range you can get rather than creating a straw man to my argument.

Upvote 0
The accuracy is about the same as RO1 or near it.

I think they should make stamina+no aim for noticeable and effective. But they shouldn't make it harder to shoot without resting your gun. When you first go into iron sights, you dont have much sway, especially if you hold your breath. BUT, after taking a shot it you lose where you shot at because of your rifles' recoil, and have to aim there again which should reasonably take 1 or 1.5 seconds? Rifles should have significant recoil because of their caliber, this would help to since rifles are the most accurate guns, and plentiful.

Upvote 0
I agree, it'd be more fun if it was harder to hit someone, but I think the accuracy of the weapons themselves is OK. The sway in each stance except prone and supported could be slightly increased and out of stamina should have a greater effect. I'd be happy if more shots resulted in suppression rather than a kill, firefights would be more intense.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is the 100th thread that suggests, no, demands more realism in weapon handling in red orchestra 2, and what does tripwire ever do?? nothing!! exactly... :(

also with hitboxes: what do you think of the idea that you are thrown to the ground from some not lethal bullet hits?

game reality atm: you sprint, get shot in the leg, you run on until you are in cover and then bandage it.

what would feel more accurate: you get shot into the leg and are force-proned instantly and have maximum supression effects at the same time
(I don't care if you are able to stand up after some bandaging, even if not realistic, but at least after some penalty time on the ground!!)

Upvote 0