• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Classic / Realism lookback & AAR

Colt .45 killer

Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2006
Well Classic and the large update to realism went out, Figured I'd dump out a shortened view on these, what they were trying to improve and how they did.

Despite the fact that it was called 'classic' I feel that the community was originally asking for a more realistic game. Realistic that is in how it played out, not in any one particular feature.

One of the big '+' values of Ost was that it forced players to play in a slower more methodical pace; in all honesty it did this by twisting your arm behind your back to the breaking point while taunting you. Your player moved slow, coulden't mantle an obsticle without dolphin diving onto it, you had to run in place for a second cartoon style before you started moving ETC. The net effect of this comedy was that you really had to check your corners and play slow because if you exposed yourself you were, well... history.

In the ideal realism mode for HOS we would see the same net results, just possibly with another causality. That in my opinion is how you get 'accessibly' create the realistic experience with subsystems that seem less obtuse.

The second point that was a serious '+' for Ost was the gimped arms and super sway, which magically went 95% away when in cover and the weapon was rested. Again retarded feature if you just zoom in to look at it, but the net effect was that any player who survived the 48 hour window knew to go cover to cover whenever possible( ehrmagerd realistic movement! ).

Once again, I'd like to see this effect recreated partially by other causations. I do think that HOS realism level, especially while holding breath is very optimistic. Especially when you consider how long that level of nonsway can be held.

Ok so I've said as much as I liked the net effects, but I dislike that classic was basically a throwback to the old mechanics. This is made much worse when you add the RO2HOS maps, which are designed and made for faster movement, and much more linear battles. It basically turns into a F**k fest for the attacking team. ( game requires more coordination then on attacking team ).

So on to the next part, how could those same effects be re created without the use of Ost mechanics?

Well, I've got my ideas, please share yours if you have any insight here.

Probably the simplest way to make players play more tactically is summed up in one comic that I am not going to bother googling for now, it goes something along the lines of 1st life = uber tactical , 2+ life = rambo.
Death breaks all immersion, well atleast it does when you pop back to life with a new body. We need to Find ways to make both players lives longer as well as increased spawn time. The first is because it adds immersion, the second because players will change their play sytle even with no other game changes when the games respawn time goes from 15 seconds to 2 minutes. ( no not advocating for 2 minutes in general just saying ). Now this could use a little tweaking here or there, perhaps the attackers would get slightly shorter respawns than the defenders and such, but I think that the default time should be around 60 seconds. As an added benefit this would make the commander forced respawn something of serious value.

The concept I have towards attaining the second result is to change how players handle weapons. Currently in the 'realism' mode you can snap from hip to IS in a very short time. This is the players 'react to contact' time, which could be thought of as a penalty. The shorter this penalty is then the more brazen the player can be, because the penalty of being 'caught with pants down' is minimal. If you increase the time to raise a weapon to even a half a second or a second you will see a dramatic change in play style.

Also, to add to the last bit there, I'd like to see some movement changes to go with that. Take a trip with me here in time, way back to the original FPS's. The gun is just drawn somewhere in the lower middle of the screen, with a crosshair telling you where to put the dead things that arent dead yet. Sadly this idea of having guns at the hip stuck, and stuck hard. Have you ever played airsoft or paintball, do you walk around with that gun like it was an extension of your phallus? This is just something that was designed a while ago, and has stuck around because no one ever scratched their head and said "dafuk... that makes NO SENSE TODAY".

* small caveat, these aren't necessarily how people were trained. However they are all natural enough that it is highly likely a lot of people were using them.

So, speeds from fastest to slowest as follows:

Full run: As shown in game now as your fastest speed, weapon held in one or two hands depending on whether you have a million iron crosses or a million hero of the soviet union medals. Speed as fast as current realism mode. Only change being that instead of limiting the players mouse sensitivity ( which occasionally sticks and permanently lowers my mouse sensitivity; *shakes fist* ) the players head turns and their body turns slower. ( look where you want to go. If that feature turns out to be disorienting then remove it, the idea is to allow you to look left and right while running without makign 90 degree turns ) From this type of run to a full stop & Iron sights should be about 2-3 seconds MINIMUM.

Jog: Weapon butt is hinged at shoulder, slow jog used for covering shorter distances when the weapon might need to be raised. ( weapon can be hinged on the shoulder and raised much quicker than a weapon can be raised to the shoulder then IS'd )

***** walk: player can IS, moving a fair bit faster than slow walk. a fair bit of wobble on the IS, but steady enough to engage a close target.

Slow Walk: Bring back a shift button walk, low IS wobbly from walking. Player walks with weapon butt hinged at shoulder if not in IS, with the weapon at a low ready. From here the weapon can be raised the remaining 10-20 degrees angle to a firing stance quite quickly.

Implementation specific:

#1:The slow walk is new, and would require a button ( shift? ). The ***** walk is the default pace when in IS, while the jog is the default pace when out of IS. Roughly the pace of the current out of IS jog, just that the weapon isnt being held in such an odd fashion anymore. The full run of course binds to the current game full run button.

I would like to have a ***** walk with the weapon at a low ready though, so this way is not ideal. ( could introduce a double tap fast run )

So what are your thoughts on classic, try and be specific and use an intellectual shovel a bit. Dig into what it was trying to achieve, where it did good and where it failed. Also what are your thoughts on my suggested ways to achieve those same results without some of the associated negatives.

I'll get back to posting here a bit further after lunch on the subject of accuracy. It's a statistic that I would love to see pulled from the game system, how many bullets hit in HOS as opposed to the military numbers which afaik were around 95+% miss.

Also, I've got a few reasons why I think that the stats system is a bit of a failure.

Last edited:
Reactions: El Conejo Peligroso
I'd plus rep you 10 times if I could for this post, comrade, but instead, I can tell you that your ideas are 100% on.

I am especially interested to see what you have to say on accuracy, seeing that I think it is far to easy to take accurate shots as is(a highly controversial subject), and one I have a few ideas I will share after reading your next post.

Personally, I think classic is a failure and I back the Sarkis' idea of adding a new mode of realism setting, like authentic, hardcore, or something to that effect.

+rep.

Upvote 0
Classic is not much of a ''failure''... It was just never an attempt at anything realistic :(

So, action is more of an arcade game mode, realism is normal mode but ain't realistic at all, and classic is nostalgia mode. I don't think any of the three fit the job description for the definitive Red Orchestra 2 game mode

Upvote 0
On a whole, I can agree.

Only change being that instead of limiting the players mouse sensitivity ( which occasionally sticks and permanently lowers my mouse sensitivity; *shakes fist* ) the players head turns and their body turns slower. ( look where you want to go. If that feature turns out to be disorienting then remove it, the idea is to allow you to look left and right while running without makign 90 degree turns )

I think what is needed here is a free-look button, and not just limited to sprint.

From this type of run to a full stop & Iron sights should be about 2-3 seconds MINIMUM.

I slight increase in IS raising time from sprint might be in order, but more important is introducing small sights misallignments when going into IS. The time it takes to get perfect sight allignment should depend on your stamina.

Upvote 0
@ you troublesome three :D. Yes but I always felt that classic or realism should be better and can be improved. I wanted classic to recreate the gameplay of Ost without many of the Ost mechanics. If we can have these modifications in Classic or Realism or a new mode, I really dont care which I just think these are needed.

Im not sure that HOS has the scale to need a freelook button, the idea for running is that currently if you want to look to the side while running you cannot. This allows the player to run at full speed and maintain that speed while turning. I do agree though, a free look would be a nice tactical addition to the game.

The idea of running to IS. Currently in the games realism mode, you can go from full run to stopped and aiming in under a second. that time i suggested is more due to stopping from a full run than the raising of the weapon. Basic physics suggest if you are running at full speed and you stop your feet you are in for an epic face plant, not standing straight up in a good shooting postion. If you've ever seen the 3rd person anims of someone going from full run to IS when they hit the irons button, its actually funny.

Ok, next portion coming in the next post.

Upvote 0
I strongly believe that any game mechanic that tries to force a player into a more sensible tactical play style will ultimately fail to do so and furthermore, the player may even just move onto another game that is friendly to their style of play.

Even in the original RO, I found it amazing how many people would simply run into kill zones without even a thought. Not even a glance to see if the path was clear! A perfect example is the Germans in Danzig, East Hallway to objective A through the building. I

Upvote 0
First of all, good post sir! You are spot on about the slower gameplay making the game more realistic. I'm all for the longer respawn time and movement "penalties" like not being able to go from sprint to IS in an instant.

I do have a comment on this suggestion you make:

Jog: Weapon butt is hinged at shoulder, slow jog used for covering shorter distances when the weapon might need to be raised. ( weapon can be hinged on the shoulder and raised much quicker than a weapon can be raised to the shoulder then IS'd )

During wwII, soldiers were trained to move with the muzzle of the weapon upward. Not with the rifle butt hinged to the soldier! Look at any wwII footage and you will notice this. (Yes, BoB or SPR had it all wrong, don't use war movies as a reference).
This may be a small detail for many, but it always gets me on my nerves when I see this in a movie or game.

but, great post!

Upvote 0
Just to debunk 2 of your arguments there Kleist:

- Sway is greatly affected by stamina in Realism, just try it.
- scope zoom is on top of max normal zoom, so no, snipers are not useless.

However, since we fight generally at distances bellow 100 meters, the sway is not much of an issue, realistic or not and it is counterable with a lot of mouse control. Holding breath and class bonuses are the real issue with the sway.
Yes, a scope in RO2 makes all the difference adding 4X zoom to whatever you are gazing

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Play realism, find out that bandaging takes around 5 or so seconds to work, then re-post. :)

A fun little note chaps, I just ah, fiddled with my RoGame.ini file and I now must fire the currently loaded shell before I can switch to my chosen ammo type for the tanks. Of course, severly crippled myself in terms of Combined arms play, but adds quite alot more tension when I have a HE shell loaded and a tank comes around the corner.
Find bDelayCannonAmmoSwitch=False and change it to true if ya'll like to be worse off. :p

Upvote 0
A fun little note chaps, I just ah, fiddled with my RoGame.ini file and I now must fire the currently loaded shell before I can switch to my chosen ammo type for the tanks. Of course, severly crippled myself in terms of Combined arms play, but adds quite alot more tension when I have a HE shell loaded and a tank comes around the corner.
Find bDelayCannonAmmoSwitch=False and change it to true if ya'll like to be worse off. :p

That should be so forced for everyone!!

Upvote 0
Ok, went to subway for lunch and got a meal dealio, which I usually don't do because its a waste of the extra money; this time however my whiskey flask was begging for some Coke...;)
( thoughts expressed beyond this point that do not seem cohesive or logical are now excused by 45% spiced whiskey ).

Ok, accuracy. This is one complex ***** of a subject, so we shall break it down into a few sub categories.

1: Accuracy of the weapon
2: Heart rate of the shooter ( This ties into sway )
3: Stance of the shooter
4: Fear and general suppression ( this is deliberately separated from heart rate )

There are some other factors which we can just tell to F**ck off like wind and such as those arent player dependent so much.

I should say before I jump into it, that the desired effect of my suggestions is that you miss a lot more. It's not that I don't like you, but in reality there are many more bullets fired than there are hit, especially in ww2. I suspect the accuracy of all infantry weapon ammo in HOS averages somewhere between 10-30% across all players, I know some players like myself have a much higher 50-60%+ accuracy with rifles. This frankly, should be rare to impossible for two reasons. A its hard to actually be that good in a real ****storm, B the reason why the low accuracy is because IRL suppression works, so some of my suggestions are tailored towards making suppression effective.

In somewhat numerical order:

1: This is something people will haggle over a lot, tbh I own a lot of the weapons featured in this game. Well that is, the ones that the lie-libel-liberals havent whined so much so that we cant own them anymore in Canada. If you were to lock any of these into a vice you would probably get something around ( for the rifles atleast ) 3" groups at 100 meters on average. Let me be perfectly clear here, lots of users have said we need to bork the **** of these guns. NO NO NO. The difficulty in hitting something with a gun in real life is rarely the fault of the gun, most guns will shoot better than their user ever will be able too. The actual difficulty to hit will come from other numbers following this. I do have this to say on this subject though, I have not really done any in depth testing on the ingame weapons to see their longer range accuracy, it might need small tweaks up or down but it is probably rather decent right now.

2: Being a Canadian badass :rolleyes: , I cycle to the gun range by taking a soft case, chucking my .22lr rifle into it, then bungee cording that to the bike and cycling the ~7.5km. I can say for certain for the few times that I have gone to the range via car and the times by bike that heart rate has a huge effect on accuracy, and it doesnt exactly go away after 30 seconds of being off the bike. I made a *LONG* suggestion before HOS was released about heart rates, I shall now resumarize:
physical exertion ( running ) as well as suppression increase heart rate.
Heart rate is always slowly decreasing back to the resting BPM.
The effects of a low heart rate are lower sway and more controlled aim ( good for snipers ).
The effects of a high heart rate are slightly faster movements ( twitchy / adrenaline ) as well as a slightly faster run. This comes at the cost of increased sway as well as some minor weapon misalignments. Also when you get to the player interaction effects point, when with a high heart rate ( and possibly high fear ) as well as rapid clicking you would have the chance to pull the trigger too hard and throw off your aim a bit ( the word escapes me, its like flinching but not really ).

The effects of heart rate are such that you cant be moving around and expect to make awesome long range shots by just stopping and standing up and going for it. Conversly if you want to snipe, move slower, find yourself a nice spot and enjoy the lessened sway you get with a controlled heart rate.
Another point here, is that your heart rate takes some time from maximum to return to minimum, say 3-5 minutes. The added sway from a higher heart rate is one reason why firing to supress and increase the heart rates of your opponents is a good idea. ( it doesnt bleed away quickly like suppression does ).

3: This one is pretty simple, the highest sway with standing, lesser to crouch, and least to prone. And an actually noticeable difference, when I last played realism ( before classic patch ) you could be standing holding breath and have sway that would be reasonable if you were prone.

4: Ok here's the meat, heart rate is long term suppression in one way ( the sway effects ) fear and suppression are medium to short term suppressors.

First let me nitpicksky with HOS for a moment, in classic atleast now you get suppressed with this twitching effect, however your sway isnt really increased all that much, so if bullets arent passing by your head for half a second you can still land a fairly accurate shot.

First off for this, if you've played arma with a decent sound mod, or seen some decent firefight combat footage you will notice one thing that is not in any other game. super sonic bullets have small sonic booms ( oh my what a surprise, physics in the real world, tis Fcking wonderfull ).
Not only does this sound let the player know how close the bullets pass ( The bunched up sound wave dissipates over distance, so further away it is not a snap ). It also actually is a very effective suppressing sound, it is hard to communicate and even concentrate when hot lead is snapping by your ears. Im trying to find a good video on youtube, there was a series someone posted a while back here of a british combat journalist in afghanistan that had some very good examples. most videos are of a lower quality and it is hard to distinguish between gunshots and bullet cracks.

Aside from the snaps I think little flinches are good, also when the player is uncalm their ironsights should micro unalign, as some other players have suggested as well. This is something that is most pronounced with handguns and is known as being slack wristed, it will often cause the shooter to fire low. It is less pronounced with two long gun that has multiple points of contact, so slight variations in the IS would be good. ( Say up to hitting +6" to +15" groups at 100 meters if the gun was viced + the effects of the unalignments )

Suppression as a counter should work as follows:

low suppression: a small bit of extra sway, also increases the heart rate.
medium suppression: audible breathing, increased heart rate, increased sway, some twitching.
high suppression: audible breathing, high heart rate, increased sway chance to fumble reloads / bolting, micro unaligns such that longer range shots are harder.
Maximum suppression: high suppression effects + some trembling + chance to fumble at some physical moves.

IF moving while highly suppressed ( and getting shot at ) you have a chance of stumbling and falling to prone.

Suppressions effects would dwindle down in a non linear fashion, the higher it gets the quicker it dissipates. ie dissipate timers would be something like 10-15-22-35 ( highest to lowest )

The thing with supression is it needs to be finely tuned and ballanced, a player shouldnt be un able to shoot back. But they shouldent be able to get the quick lean out bam kill shots that were so common before the update. What they should be able to do is chance trying to lean out and pop a shot off to supress the shooter so they can maneuver to another position and get enfilade or use grenades. Also if zoom is kept ( I really dont mind it, we just need bigger maps ) then the suppression blocking the other players zoom is a pretty good idea. ( please keep it! )

Player interaction effects: These are something that I've been toying with and I figure I will add them here. The basic gist is that most games pick one animation for one action that looks tacky about 50% of the time. A really stylistic pumping of a pump shotgun is @#$#@$@#$#@$@ when you need that other shot. However very badass when the first shot did the job. Similarly if I am 400M out and unseen I will probably slowly bolt my rifle while keeping my eyes on the horizon, if I am 30 M away and there's more of them then that bolt is going to get worked as fast as I can.

Basically this system works off of your inputs, to determine how serious your action is. If I am clicking 4,000 clicks per minute while bolting my rifle, chances are is there is a second russian in front of me telling me in detail how I will be his b1tch. If I click it once, then it's likely that I am not in any stressfull situtation. Where this system comes in is that it registers your extra inputs and changes the animations because of that. Click 3 times when bolting? Alright we will go a wee bit faster then. But you say, isnt this just gonna benefit the click spammers? Well because we introduce variable speed we can introduce failure. Your hand slipped off the bolt, the round stove piped because you shoved it too hard, you dropped the mag ETC. Going faster has a chance of failure and the player gets to determine whether they want to risk the speed for the chance of fumbling, or wait patiently and pray that sashas ppsh shoots like your mother.
( Id love to hear your feedback on that ^^ )

As one last addendum, It might be worth testing having some micro unalignment of the IS going on when in IS when the player is not holding breath. so the player has to steady the shot by holding breath ( & bracing the shot ) to be able to reach out further.

... wow thats a wall of text...:D

Stats System = fail:
Ok one of the things that I thought was nice about Ost was that you could have pitched battles. Ones where it was a good fight but yknow, 60%-80% of the time one team would win. It was all cool in Ost because that was UNDERSTOOD that this was a tough battle, and the fun was derived from ( of all F**cking things ) the battle itself. The problem with a stats system is you now have to have FAIR battles, and try and ballance the maps so that each team wins 50% of the time. This is because you've gone and told the players that wins / losses MATTER. They should care about WLR instead of not giving and F*cks and playing for the fun of the game. IMO the stats system has put a bad taste in peoples mouths over any pitched battle, they dont want to be on the 'loosing team'. So many of Osts good maps were probably pitched 60-70% in either direction, they were still fun though. I think that this effect was an unseen casualty of the stats system. It also removed some of the challenge from the game, in Ost I liked to take the disadvantaged team because the wins were that much sweeter. Stacked battles in Hos are a double whammy, to start with they are stacked, to add to that there is often a stigma that it is stacked that is known by the more experienced players, so they all go to the 'winning' team; thus being a self fulfilling prophecy.

Upvote 0
First of all, good post sir! You are spot on about the slower gameplay making the game more realistic. I'm all for the longer respawn time and movement "penalties" like not being able to go from sprint to IS in an instant.

I do have a comment on this suggestion you make:

During wwII, soldiers were trained to move with the muzzle of the weapon upward. Not with the rifle butt hinged to the soldier! Look at any wwII footage and you will notice this. (Yes, BoB or SPR had it all wrong, don't use war movies as a reference).
This may be a small detail for many, but it always gets me on my nerves when I see this in a movie or game.

but, great post!

Thats a good point, I should say in my defence though that this suggestion is coming from practicality and not from any movies. I figured this speed would be used for example if you were up against a door with your weapon up, lean in and check, then advance in to say some cover 20 feet up and to the side if you wanted to move faster than a walk. It feels natural to just drop the weapon down a bit while still keeping the butt around or close to your shoulder.

Upvote 0
I strongly believe that any game mechanic that tries to force a player into a more sensible tactical play style will ultimately fail to do so and furthermore, the player may even just move onto another game that is friendly to their style of play.

Even in the original RO, I found it amazing how many people would simply run into kill zones without even a thought. Not even a glance to see if the path was clear! A perfect example is the Germans in Danzig, East Hallway to objective A through the building. I

Upvote 0
Eh, chances to not load properly would serve to piss people off in my opinion, rather than adding much, same with randomly falling over and other random events.

And sway is already increased when suppressed, breathing rate is at its fastest and you cannot control your breath in any-way to be effective. Just remeber, in-game, you have to actually be "suppressed" for this to occur, merely being shot at a little bit (lawl) wont put you in the suppressed state, even if you do instincively duck your head down.

P'raps the jitter you get from holding a weapon in Iron-Sights for a while could be applied when your stamina is low. I would not want it to have any real long lasting effect though, I'd rather it goes away when your stamina is 1/3 full again (Works out to around 5-10 seconds depending on how much you ran during the Out of stamina jog).

Regarding the Stats bit. I've always played to win. I did it in RO:OST, got anoyed when I lost X amount of rounds in a row. Adding the stats hasn't done anything to change that, playing to win has always been the idea as winning often means fun. There are tough battles in RO2, people find them fun, others dont, some want that easy win, others go for the ball busting challenge. I genuinly don't think people are swayed as much as you make out by the stats.

Upvote 0
cwivey, not all people play that way. I do know a few players who religiously check their stats, and perhaps this is just fading memory but there are a lot of players who want to sit back and snipe because of stats. I agree with you that the only objective should be TO WIN. Instead the stats system is the introduction of other objectives, and to some people those other objectives mean more than winning.

Upvote 0