• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Character/Weapon Appearance

Warhero51

Feb 19, 2013
In Red Orchestra 2 and Rising Storm, you progressed from being a Fresh Recruit to a Hardened Hero. You got dirtier and bloodier. However, your weapon began to look like you made a hobby out of cleaning your gun.

In Rising Storm 2, both you and your weapon should get dirty as hell. It is a jungle right? Get some burn marks on the clothing, bandages on your body. Cigs and Cards in your helmet band. Put some wraps on your weapons and magazines, scratch in your kill count. Let that wood age. It's 'Nam damnit.

The details of RO2/RS characters is not the best when compared to other games. Faces look dull and static, uniform textures sometimes look worn out. I wonder why Medal of Honor Airborne - same engine - looks better than RO2 despite being released in 2007 - 4 years prior.

The idea of the character looking more rugged and dirty is surely a nice idea, but I always wondered why a worn-out man is capable of bolting his rifle faster, reload it faster, run faster and longer than a fresh recruit. It actually should be the other way round as you should become weaker the longer you participate in the battle as supplies were low.

Dirt on the uniform should happen just as you play, throw yourself into the mud and you should look like a pig.
It is raining or you decide to take a bath, your uniform should be wet.

But this all is wishful thinking. RS2 will be RO2/RS with a different setting, no changes applied.

Upvote 0
The idea of the character looking more rugged and dirty is surely a nice idea, but I always wondered why a worn-out man is capable of bolting his rifle faster, reload it faster, run faster and longer than a fresh recruit. It actually should be the other way round as you should become weaker the longer you participate in the battle as supplies were low.

The theory is that anything they do has become second-nature and just pure reactionary, whereas a recruit might still not have the movements properly set in their muscle memory.

Upvote 0
In Red Orchestra 2 and Rising Storm, you progressed from being a Fresh Recruit to a Hardened Hero. You got dirtier and bloodier. However, your weapon began to look like you made a hobby out of cleaning your gun.

In Rising Storm 2, both you and your weapon should get dirty as hell. It is a jungle right? Get some burn marks on the clothing, bandages on your body. Cigs and Cards in your helmet band. Put some wraps on your weapons and magazines, scratch in your kill count. Let that wood age. It's 'Nam damnit.
And the 1000 yard stare too.

Upvote 0

I very much agree with this idea.

Upvote 0
The details of RO2/RS characters is not the best when compared to other games. Faces look dull and static, uniform textures sometimes look worn out. I wonder why Medal of Honor Airborne - same engine - looks better than RO2 despite being released in 2007 - 4 years prior.

Dirt on the uniform should happen just as you play, throw yourself into the mud and you should look like a pig.
It is raining or you decide to take a bath, your uniform should be wet.

But this all is wishful thinking. RS2 will be RO2/RS with a different setting, no changes applied.
Just because they have a "worn out" look doesn't mean they're exhausted all the time, it just means they haven't had the luxury of a shower or having their clothes washed in a while. And the faster bolting/reloading seems to make sense to me with the simple idea that the "vet" whose been on the front longer is more familiar with his weapon and doesn't fumble it around as often in the middle of combat like a new recruit possibly would(being more easily panicked by all the chaos). It's the same idea behind vets having greater suppression resistance compared to a new recruit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0