• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Character stuttering during movement and leaning

Crux

FNG / Fresh Meat
Feb 4, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVYGywApcYI

The above video documents my issue with my character stuttering during any attempt at forward sprinting (which, as you can see from the video, is fixed only by lateral movement behind the forward sprinting motion).

If there could be any help in solving this, it would be greatly appreciated as it is currently stopping me from playing the game in any real manner. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVYGywApcYI

The above video documents my issue with my character stuttering during any attempt at forward sprinting (which, as you can see from the video, is fixed only by lateral movement behind the forward sprinting motion).

If there could be any help in solving this, it would be greatly appreciated as it is currently stopping me from playing the game in any real manner. Thanks.

Does this happen while playing offline as well as online?
I used to have a similar problem or the same problem (I can't remember now.) as you.

Upvote 0
Does this happen while playing offline as well as online?
I used to have a similar problem or the same problem (I can't remember now.) as you.

I found that not only does the problem persist in offline (I just did the first training mission, I would assume that this is considered offline), but also the function of holding your breathe when aiming down iron sights is also just not working whatsoever.

Upvote 0
I have never had that problem. In other words I don't think it's very common. I would like to know if other people have the same issue.

Have you tried to reset keybindings? It's the only thing I can think of from the top of my head. Seeing how you have a "fix" for it by stepping sideways i would be surprised if it was a PC setup problem. But then again I have no clue and also no idea what to ask you to reproduce it.
I take that it always happens?

Do you have anything else out of the ordinary: High Ping for example?

One other idea I have - and it's a long shot - try to plug in a different keyboard (if one is available to you). Judging from your PC setup I think you might have a gaming keyboard, if that's true try plugin in a run of the mill standard one - like the once that come with PCs.
Don't buy one, because I don't think it's going to fix it - it's still worth a try.

If all of that fails you could try deleting the config files (to reset them) and if that doesn't work reinstalling the game.

Upvote 0
I would first investigate if it's not a mouse/keyboard issue (as mentioned in the post above) by checking if the mouse/keyboard input command combinations you use to sprint result in continuous inputs from the mouse/keyboard. You can test for example in an other game, notepad or with the free autohotkey program.

Upvote 0
I have never had that problem. In other words I don't think it's very common. I would like to know if other people have the same issue.

Have you tried to reset keybindings? It's the only thing I can think of from the top of my head. Seeing how you have a "fix" for it by stepping sideways i would be surprised if it was a PC setup problem. But then again I have no clue and also no idea what to ask you to reproduce it.
I take that it always happens?

Do you have anything else out of the ordinary: High Ping for example?

One other idea I have - and it's a long shot - try to plug in a different keyboard (if one is available to you). Judging from your PC setup I think you might have a gaming keyboard, if that's true try plugin in a run of the mill standard one - like the once that come with PCs.
Don't buy one, because I don't think it's going to fix it - it's still worth a try.

If all of that fails you could try deleting the config files (to reset them) and if that doesn't work reinstalling the game.

While I'm not able to see it as of right now, I don't believe that I've had a high ping since I've never run into any connection related issues (rubber banding, disconnects). Plus, I play on the F2JG server which is generally very low ping for me (I normally play on this server exclusively).

As far as a keybindings, this is a new installation of RD2 (as shown in the last part of the video where I list my fixes), so unless it's the default keybindings messing with my movement, I don't believe this is the source of the problem. And yes, it always happens (aside from when I do my fix).

I was thinking about plugging in a separate keyboard as well, but I was just not in a position to last night. I currently use a Ducky Shine 3, which I believe is generally considered a high quality keyboard, so hopefully this is not the problem. The only other keyboard that I own is an original Das Keyboard, so I'll try that when I get home today.

And, I will try resetting the config files and doing another re-install, but I can't really believe that this would end up being a solution.

I would first investigate if it's not a mouse/keyboard issue (as mentioned in the post above) by checking if the mouse/keyboard input command combinations you use to sprint result in continuous inputs from the mouse/keyboard. You can test for example in an other game, notepad or with the free autohotkey program.

Yeah, I touched on that in my previous reply with the possible keyboard problem. When I was investigating this issue myself, I noticed that when I held down the 'C' button to crouch in game, I would stutter very rapidly as the animation basically "bounced" in between the standing and crouching position. To test this, I opened a notepad file and just held down the 'C' key and the 'X' key, as a sort of control group, but it resulted in relatively similar effects with no noticeable issue in doing either.

I plan to test the different keyboard later today when I get home, but I hope this doesn't end up being the source of the issue since that'll mean having to return my precious keyboard (and I don't have the stock keycaps anymore, so that's going to be absolute nightmare trying to figure out).

Thank you both for your replies, appreciate the help.

Upvote 0
So, it ended up being my keyboard sadly. I tested my Das Keyboard and it worked perfectly...

Does anyone have any possible ideas as to what could be the problem with my keyboard? I know this is outside the realm of aid from this forum, but if anyone had any ideas as it is going to be a pain if I have to troubleshoot this entirely on my own and send it back.

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far!

Upvote 0
So, it ended up being my keyboard sadly. I tested my Das Keyboard and it worked perfectly...

Does anyone have any possible ideas as to what could be the problem with my keyboard? I know this is outside the realm of aid from this forum, but if anyone had any ideas as it is going to be a pain if I have to troubleshoot this entirely on my own and send it back.

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far!

I'd reinstall the drivers if you haven't. Also contact the manufacturer for help, if they can't help you that way, turn it in if it's under warranty.

Upvote 0