• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Case 4532-9: Tristan McGregor

Sniperdragon

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 24, 2009
Netherlands
(Note beforehand. You ARE allowed to post a episode in this story. However, a few rules:
Your episode MAY NOT shut down the story.
Your episode MUST contain an "ending" allowing multiple, if possible opposite paths for the next episode.
Your episode MUST be of a good length. Not 6 pages, but neither 6 lines.
You HAVE TO use correct grammar. Its more fun to read that way.
Introduce new characters with care. Remember, you can't just introduce a character in one episode and then never talk about him again, only to let him pop up 3 episodes later.
If you see an reserved for episode, then do not post a new episode. I am either making a new episode, or planning to. If you don't see it: Write away.)

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=30028 < The KF Glossary. Can clarify some things told in the story.

(Note 2:Constructive comments are allowed. However, keep them short and sharp. Nice job etc. is also allowed, but would be better if paired with constructive criticiscm, as I aim to improve this.
If you like it, +rep please. Post anything stupid like: lolz bad story and I will have a mod remove your post.)
07-6-2012
"Welcome to the Suck"

Hello.
I am Tristan McGregor. Tris for friends. I've been at Dercey, or "Mercy" as it is called now, for 7 months now. Before I tell you anything about the present or the past, let me first tell you something about "Mercy" itself.
Once known by the name of Dercey, this village is now one of the many, many small fortresses that popped up all over the country. Taking into account what I've heard and seen, we are one of the bigger ones.
Although.. fortresses.. a better name would be an outpost.. an outpost with its main base destroyed.. nevertheless, let me continue my story.
We have life support, although rudimentary.
We have clean water. We have electricity, save for some downtime due to the shoddy stand-by generators we nicked from some nearby, empty hospital. That is also where we get all our medical supplies.
As far as food goes.. there is a mall near where we found enough canned food for 1.5 years. We do get some supply drops from abroad, although not nearly as many as we used to get in the first months.
But enough about life standards. Lets talk protection.
The village is entangled in a curve of a river, so the back and both of the sides of the village are covered. We blew up the centre part of the bridge over the river, And replaced it with a rather unstable, retractable bridge made of metal plates. Humans can jump over the hole when the bridge is retracted, but vehicles can't pass it, nor can most of the specimen.
The one side of the village that is open has been blocked on all sides by demolishing most buildings at the edge of the village, and then shoving together the debris, forming a rather primitive, yet effective barrier of stone, glass and metal. Everywhere on top of the barrier, we have added razor wire. This again stops most of the specimen. We however have one entrance through the debris, about 7m wide. This is under constant surveillance by 3 guards, all equipped with night-vision goggles.
However, we do not rely entirely on our barriers. We have more guard posts patrolling all around the village, making sure everything is secure.
As far as our armament goes.. it is pretty good. Before the DRF and the army, or whats left of them, came to our hideout, we we're a bunch of goons, armed with hunting rifles, shotguns, a few 9mm's and one MAC10.
I don't know how we survived that period, We just did. We weren't heroes. We didn't save people. If someone got trapped by multiple specimen, and we thought we couldn't take them down.. we fled. It was unlike anything now. Now we have to power to defend ourselves. To provide shelter to the unarmed, the scared. to the weak. To conduct raids. One thing we can't do however, is take revenge. We do not have the ammunition, nor the time, nor the manpower, nor the chance to take that risk. We have a lot to lose and nothing to gain.
But let me continue what improved equipment we got, and how our little cosy place became our cosy little place.
As I said, before the leftovers of the DRF and Army came here, we we're nothing. We were severely underpowered, and low on stocks. We did, however, have a lot of survivors under our wing.
The DRF and Army had enough supplies and could call in more. However, they we're severly undermanned and didn't have a base of operation.
A child could go and do the math. We negotiated and came to an agreement. We shared our leadership with them, and gave them manpower. In trade for that, they learned us to defend ourselves, and gave us the means to it. They also helped build a stable fort, although it was part in their own interest.
Now that you know about "Mercy" let me tell you about how I ended up here. Let me tell you about the day they appeared.

Last edited:
05-11-2011
"What the **** is that?"

It was a rather good morning. You know, the ones where you for one time feel like you don't hate your job, you don't hate your salary, and you absolutely love that lovely lady laying in your bed beside you. "Can you warm up the shower for me" she mumbles, as I get out of bed and put on my pants. The day has only just begun and it already feels like one of the best days of my life. When I am done dressing up and turning on the shower, I jump my lady, cuddling here and softly biting in here neck, slowly mumbling: "Fleeeeeshh.. flessh..".
"Quit that" she says, pushing me away. You know I'm vegetarian and that I don't like that word. "Would you rather have me say: "Breaaasts breeaaasts" instead, I ask?" She laughs, jumps on me and smashes me in the face with a soft, plumety pillow. God what a good day.
I walked outside, enjoying the sun on my face, and I decide to fold up the roof of my convertible.
As drive my car to work I enjoy the little breeze that whips my face. "Morning boss" I say as walk past him to my desk. "Morning Tris" He responds. By the tone of his voice I can tell he drank a little to much beer at the party last night. "Regretting going to the party, boss?" I ask him. "Hahaha Tris, not at all. Although next time I'll sure to take a pint or two less. but start making me some money, or perhaps I'll force you to drink twice as much beer next time" he says jokingly. God. Little did we know that day would become the biggest horror of our life.
It all started around 14:00. The radio broadcasted some wicked stuff. We thought it was one of those age old radio plays, getting played on nostalgia.fm or something. However, as soon as the stuff started to turn up on the computer as well, we thought something iffy was going on. At first we (my boss Marc Reinders, who coincidently is my best friend) suspected a hoax. but as it was getting more and more news coverage, we were sure atleast something was going on. But weird creatures emerging from below and eating humans? Nah. Probably just a rather fanatic, canabalistic terrorist organization or something. Around 5AM Marc and I decided to call it quiters and go to the bar, have a few drinks and then return home. "What was all that **** in the news about?" Marc asks. "I don't know, but it sure as **** freaked me out for a second. Mutants chewing of people their faces? Sounds like bull**** to me, although there has to be some core of truth into it." "Yea, you are probably right, lets have one last and then go home" Marc responds. Since it was such a nice day, and I'm in a good mood, I decide to stand a round. Everyone in the bar yells, and I hear a very distinct scottish accent say: "Oi!". "Oi! Tristan, yer ripper, whered ya ged all that money from to treat us a round, son?" someone I know very good asks.
"Matt!" I exclaim. "Haven't seen you in a bloody long time buddy! Where have you been, abducted by the [AM] or something?" I ask.
"Hahaha, dem bold little guys? We had quite some clashes with them in the past with them, didnt we, eh?".
"Yea, we sure did." I say. "But I gotta go home, to my lady. Promised her I'd be early tonight". "Can't keep the missus waiting, no?" Matt says. "Damn right. Hey, I'll phone you up soon buddy." "Later" He responds. As I walk outside I quietly hear him singing: "Raise your swords up high! See the black birds fly! Let them hear your rage! Show no fear! Attack!". Damn, that was a good time. It still is a good song. As I ride home I bang Amon Amarth on my speakers. I don't care if the music annoys anyone. Suddenly, I notice something.. the air, the vibe of the day itself, seems changed. I have this feeling that something is about to go wrong. Very wrong. But I shake off the feeling as a result of the powerfull, yet a tad depressing music.
As I come home I notice a fire further up ahead in the city. "I guess someone dumped a cigarette in a paper bin or something like that I think. That should explain the crowd further up ahead. But why they all wear the same clothes.. God knows. probably another hype under those youngsters.".
I open the front door: "Maria! I've got a little surprise for you!". Silence. "Maria?". More silence. I decide to phone her.
Suddenly, I hear a weird, ripping, garglish sound. I can't really place it. It sounded somewhat like flesh being ripped off something. I run to the living room. On the floor lies my beautiful Maria. Being eaten by some wicked, naked thing..
"What the..?" I think. I stand there numbed for a second. This can't be true. This can't be.. oh God, Maria! No no, **** no! I grab my phone to fetch a doctor. Then I notice the the creature slowly walking towards me. I grab my favourite designer lamp. I smack it on the forehead(?) with all my might. I hear the skull crack, and the creature stops walking. "Ha! eat that dirty little murder" I exclaim. I keep on ramming him with my now bent lamp post. It falls to the ground. Blood is splattered all over me. I give it a few kicks. After I'm exhausted, I sit down for a bit. I look at Maria. I feel the urge to puke. I can't even cry. my head is just a numb, dead place at the moment. Numb and dead like Maria. Then I decide to phone up the police. "beep.. beep.. All lines are in use at the moment. Please try again later." Emergency lines being overloaded? What the heck? I decide to to walk to my neighbours, and check on them. Outside I discover the youngster mob to have moved a lot closer. But they ain't youngsters. More of those damned creatures. One is burned half alive but still is walking in its limpy, slow way. I see a fatman puke. The puke sizzles like its battery acid.
Damn. Thats some ****ed up **** right there. I decide to take my convertible and get the hell out of here. As I put the pedal to the metal my favorite CD slips from the dashboard and falls out of the car. "Killing Roof, by Alex & Marco". **** it. Well, their upcoming album, made in collaboration with Tripwire Studios sounded even better. I'll just get that when I have the time. First lets get the hell out of here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Fun read! Awaiting for episode two. Here's hoping everyone dies at the end of the story!! :)

Thanks. I don't know if I will let everyone die. Maybe they will just vanish one by one and you will never know what happened to them :D:D.
Also, what do you think about the hidden references to KF in the second episode? KF oldies will appreciate it, but how do "new" people stand to it?

P.S. remember people, you can post episodes too! Remember to stay in character, and to keep the flow of the story. Besides that, try it. Its great fun! Rules at top of the first post.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
19-12-2011
"Lookin' to survive"

It has been one month and a few days since The Outbreak. One month of terror and pain. One month of horrors and survival. How many more to come? I can not tell. Nor can I tell how the past month went. Oh yes, I can describe it for you. I can tell about the people we had to leave, sometimes like living bait, so we could get away. I can describe how the soldiers fought. How they were overwhelmed. How they retreated in disarray and chaos. How they left most civilians to rot and die with the Specimen. But that would not be the same. You cannot feel how desperate people were. I can't blame them. After seeing that many people die, most peole would freak out. Because of my student job I had in a butchery, I could stand it somewhat more. If thats possible. I wish the DRF had retreated somewhere safe and leveled the whole ****ing city with artillery. They didn't do that. They should have. Now its spreading across the goddamn country. More and more of those ****ers keep appearing. Like there is some factory, some sort of freaked up hatchery that spews out these creatures. I pray to God that it stays in Great Britain. Maybe in due time more of Europe will be taken. I do not know. I know for sure that America is safe, since there is quite a big ocean between G.B. and America. Same goes for the Aussies. I fear for France though. I pray that they seal the tunnel in time. If they don't, Europe is bound to be lost.
But let me tell you more about my survival.
At first, lots of people running, driving, screaming. There was no way to control them. I avoided the main roads, knowing they would be clogged with people trying to get away. Instead I took the risk of using small, muddy roads. At first it worked out quite well. 'Till I realised there was not a single station in reach where I could get some juice before I ran out of it.
There was however, a small village near. I decided to check it out for any cars with some juice, and hopefully there would be some survivors. Thank God I had a 9mm hidden in the glove compartment. I had it in case someone wanted to carjack me. Now it served the same purpose, but I was defending myself against something else. I took the pistol and one extra clip with me. I was expecting at least some company. I was right.
The village seemed abandoned, save for some screams in the distance. I first walked towards the town plan. Made some mental notes where the Hospital and Police station were located, as those places held to most probability of containing survivors.
First I checked out the hospital. No sign of survivors so far. As I walked deeper into the hospital, I noticed a rather large blood trail leading to the storage room. As I walked towards there, I saw something that froze me for a while. 6 of those things we're eating a pretty skinny old lady. She still wore her hospital clothing, although they we're largely torn apart. Chunks of meat we're missing everywhere out of her body.
I decided it would be best to silently leave. We'll fate had a kinda different plan for me. As I was approaching the entrance, some chick with in a rather dirty straitjacket walked in front of the entrance/exit. It was a survivor so I yelled at here. "Yo! Miss! Over here! Are you hurt?" I yelled. She turned towards me and looked at me for a while. Then she suddenly let out a horrifying scream that not only shattered all the glass in a 100m radius, but also nearly popped my eardrums. Second thought: This is definitely not a survivor. I ran towards her, took aim, and quickly took 3 shots at here, all whilst being in shock. It still amazes now me I could do all that. However, the shots and the scream must've alerted the other things. Because I soon heard muffled, dragging footsteps behind me. I decided to run towards the police station, and if there was no one there hide somewhere, then quickly get a car and get the bloody hell out of there.
However, as I ran towards the police station, my hope made a double frontflip. Outside of the police station were 4 armed and armored guys. They shouted: Get in quickly! We have to reweld the door! I doubled my speed, and as soon as everyone was inside, two other people started to weld the door shut. I hadn't noticed them in the dark. "Give me your weapon!" one of the guys said. I was very reluctant to give it, since it was my only means of defense. "No way! Its the only way to defend myself!" I said. "Shut the **** up now and give me your weapon or I'll execute you right here." someone behind me said. I slowly raised my hands. I felt the pistol being taken away. I heard someone say: Sorry, but this is standard procedure for survivors. Then in a split second I was forced to my knees, heard something coming at me behind my back. Then I heard a dull clunk, and all went black..

Reactions: Sgt. Lag
Upvote 0