• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Can't install RO2 because RO Ost. installed

I bought RO Ostfront 41-45 at Best Buy a month ago. There was no CD code in the jewel case (a known problem with Best Buy and this game) so I could not install it. That CD is nailed to the wall. Last week I ordered RO2 and also ordered RO Ostfront since it was so cheap. I did not know RO Ostfront was included in the RO2 package. I got the games today and opened the RO Ostfront case first and installed it with no problems. I spent about 10 minutes making sure it ran okay and then opened the RO2 case and started to install it. I saw then that it also had RO Ostfront with it AND THEY USE THE SAME CD KEY. When I got to the CD code screen, I entered the code and it was rejected. It said the game was already installed in my account, apparently because I had just installed RO Ostfront using the CD code that came in that case. Now I have 3 copies of RO Ostfront, one of which is installed, but I can't install RO2 now. I have submitted a report to STEAM. Now what? I am starting to lose interest in RO2.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought RO Ostfront 41-45 at Best Buy a month ago. There was no CD code in the jewel case (a known problem with Best Buy and this game) so I could not install it. That CD is nailed to the wall. Last week I ordered RO2 and also ordered RO Ostfront since it was so cheap. I did not know RO Ostfront was included in the RO2 package. I got the games today and opened the RO Ostfront case first and installed it with no problems. I spent about 10 minutes making sure it ran okay and then opened the RO2 case and started to install it. I saw then that it also had RO Ostfront with it AND THEY USE THE SAME CD KEY. When I got to the CD code screen, I entered the code and it was rejected. It said the game was already installed in my account, apparently because I had just installed RO Ostfront using the CD code that came in that case. Now I have 3 copies of RO Ostfront, one of which is installed, but I can't install RO2 now. I have submitted a report to STEAM. Now what? I am starting to lose interest in RO2.

Just be pacient steam support can take a while. Also steam will refuse you to add another game that is the same. If you brought RO2 from a shop take it back and explain what happened, If not wait for steam to reply.

Also please don't use blue font, As using a dark background on the forum makes it extremely difficult to read.

Upvote 0
Chris89;

1. I agree......big mistake on the blue print.
2. I am not trying to install the same game. I installed RO Ostfront 41-45 and it works okay. It has its own CD code. It was not the RO Ostfront that came in the case with RO2. I am trying to install RO2 which has a different CD code which is also used for the RO Ostfront DVD that came with RO2. Two different game packages and two different CD codes.

Upvote 0
Go to wherever you bought it and ask for a refund. They will tell you that if you opened the box you can't get one. That's when you have to explain the following, probably to the manager:

You accidentally purchased three copies with the same CD key and you need a refund since they took your money three times for the same CD key. Only one copy is valid and the others cannot ever be used. CD keys are supposed to be unique items and you can't charge someone twice for the same car, for example. Floor sales won't get it, they'll just say that if you opened the box, BestBuy can't give your a refund.

Then explain to him/her that in order for the more expensive Heroes of Stalingrad CD key to work, you have to uninstall your previously purchased copies of Ostfront. That's a second legitimate reason for a refund.

Once that's sorted out you can uninstall Ostfront and install the Ostfront + Heroes of Stalingrad bundle.

I recommend Steam in the future. No such problems. Purchases usually include bundles and give credit for parts of the bundle you already have. We got 20% off of heroes of Stalingrad in the steam store for having bought Ostfront via Steam. Once you purchase something through Steam you don't have to deal with install CDs and keys. Download and done. No driving, no talking to the manager. He'd probably try to sell you yet another copy. :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0