• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PC Cannot block/parry Clot grabs in certain locations

Insert Name Here

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 3, 2015
Category: Code

Reproducibility: Always

Summary: When playing online, attempting to block/parry Clot grabs will fail in map locations that are behind your starting position.

Description: This is very similar to and has the same cause as the original parry bug.

Video demonstrating this bug

In KFGame.KFWeap_MeleeBase, state MeleeBlocking, function IsGrappleBlocked(), line 830:

Code:
// zero Z to give us a 2d dot product
Dir2d = Normal2d(InstigatedBy.Location - Location);
FacingDot = vector(Rotation) dot (Dir2d);

This should be:

Code:
// zero Z to give us a 2d dot product
Dir2d = Normal2d(InstigatedBy.Location - Instigator.Location);
FacingDot = vector(Instigator.Rotation) dot (Dir2d);

Online/Offline: Online only

It pains me to see that this is back again after so much work was put in from a steam user to debug this.

The original parry bug is still fixed. This is just a case of similar code in a different place (blocking grabs and reducing damage are two different functions). I guess TWI just overlooked this when applying the original fix.

If you go down to line 860 in the same file, you'll see the damage reduction part of the parry/block code. That's the code I used for the suggested fix.

(Honestly, I stumbled upon this bug while browsing the SDK and decided to test it in-game. I think no one noticed it because very few people even try to parry clots.)

Upvote 0