• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Calling all RO vets

Play here and you won't experience that problem.

Hips NA server: 68.232.162.119:7757

It's admined by different people from different clans. We got a lot of vets on the server last night and had it almost full. We're trying to tear all the regular NA RO players away from danzig only servers. Come play RO the way it was meant to be played with different maps and map voting at the end of each round.

Wow, my account is still here, even if post count is gone I kinda figured the whole thing would have vanished years ago, I don't even recognize any of these names on the forums anymore...Anyway! Came to poke around here on a whim to see if there was news about HoS and found this thread and just wanted to say THANK YOU. Maybe I'll actually come back and play some now, some of why I stopped and never stuck with it on the times I'd try to come back is the all consuming obsession everyone seems to have with Danzig and Arad. It seemed liked every populated server was a 24/7 of one of those two maps, and it sucked. If there's actually an NA server that plays a real rotation now, I might have to give it a go again. Going to be a noob all over again but so be it.

Upvote 0
Man I gotta say I have a great time playing tonight. Just got a new computer, hanging out with [TK]Blimey and a few others. Just have a real blast. Can't remember the server but Volks69 "Giest" was on. I've not played in 4-5 months do to training and the family computer dying. I gotta say, Reaper, Nations and a bunch of others really made my night playing. These and many others are stand up fellas to play with.

20 more days and I'll be playing RO from a laptop in Iraq! =213= is gone but never forgotten!!!!

Upvote 0
Two points to be made:

A) Teamwork is indeed lacking sometimes. It always was, it always will be. Unless you get several experienced clans playing, a large portion of the team is always going to be doing something suboptimal.

B) For me, RO is about doing the sensible thing. Not capping, not killing, not area denial - just doing what makes the most sense at this moment in this situation to get the best chaces of winning.

For example, on Krasniy Oktyabr map defending as Soviets giving the Axis Central Yard actually increases the Soviet's odds of winning, so we always instruct everyone to leave it and just hold Petrol.

Now for capping vs killing, it really does depend on the map's reinforcement limits and the number of players in the game. Trying to kill the opposing side off generally only makes sense if there are 40+ people on the server and the map has a low reinforcement limit, and even then normally you have to cap quite a bit.

Stalingrad Kessel is probably the only popular map where killing the opposing side off is THE way to go (for the Soviets, if 40+ players are in), right after capping Warehouse.
It just gives much better chances of winning; capping is fairly hard and with such a large number of players its hard to hold on to what you cap, so by the time you cap 3 objectives it usually turns out both sides are out of reinforcements and you should've just sat tight and made the Axis run out while you still have 25% left.

Some other maps where killing off the Axis works well are Cherkassy and Konigsplatz, but there it is largely done with arty strikes and they have to be pushed back quite a bit for that tactic to work.

On most of the other maps, sitting back and killing is retarded because the outcome is decided by capping anyway and neither side normally runs out of men.

C) To sum this up:
Generally, teamwork is good and is lacking nowadays.
Capping generally makes more sense than killing, but not always and not on every map.
I disagree with the idea that there is a set way "RO is meant to be played". Adapting and being reasonable are most realistic behaviors. And speaking of realistic, I think killing the enemy off is much closer to real warfare than hanging out in some magical "capzones" for a set number of seconds :)

Best wishes,
Daniel.

Upvote 0
Stalingrad Kessel is probably the only popular map where killing the opposing side off is THE way to go (for the Soviets, if 40+ players are in), right after capping Warehouse.
It just gives much better chances of winning; capping is fairly hard and with such a large number of players its hard to hold on to what you cap, so by the time you cap 3 objectives it usually turns out both sides are out of reinforcements and you should've just sat tight and made the Axis run out while you still have 25% left.

Not meaning to pick apart your post but....

If you're playing against an experienced Axis opponent, it won't take them long to realize that tactic. All the Axis have to do is just hunker down, defend, not advance and let time run out and the Allies lose. Yet lately, more often than not, it turns into a TDM CoD bloodbath.

RE: the HIPS server.
I'd be willing to give it a try if I knew for certain that clown cars would be used for something other than running over combatants....:p

In the meantime, we have a blast almost every evening after 11pm eastern on the [50pc.] server.... see the sig...;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have very often the feeling that i am the only one who caps. I keep
yelling in a game but nobody listens.....maybe almost.

But the most frustrating thing i find to Red Orchestra and then in
this case Arad is that people stay at the spawnplace and keeps there
maybe for drinking coffee and that you have to wait with your tank and
that after about 20 secs waiting.
Why don`t they go in spectate mode?

Upvote 0
great times last night like you said on the newly renamed HIPS server. full maps of Zhitomir, Baksan, Krasnyi, Konigs and a few others. Leningrad had two amazing defenses by the Russians and Deathhead and I were proud to man the KV defending the bridge for the last couple minutes. Blimey had some fantastic ptrd shots in the starts of both of those rounds. Konigs saw a great german defense in the second round as well.....all in all I was very impressed with the teamplay all night.

plus, getting a few hipshots on the TW president and a dive stab on the VP while playing Zhitomir made my night :D

oh and Gopblin if you see this, I remember playing with you on Odessa......like i said on the next map, you were not doing anything wrong and as one of the various people who have admin access to the server, i would like to sincerely appologize for another admin session banning you. getting exit camped can be frustrating but it's part of the game and he should not have banned you like that. i hope to see you back in the server in the future!

+24/7+Public Vanilla Server |North America| .:HIPS:.
68.232.162.119:7757
Stock Maps Only, Voting Enabled
Run by the NA Community for the NA Community

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not meaning to pick apart your post but....

If you're playing against an experienced Axis opponent, it won't take them long to realize that tactic. All the Axis have to do is just hunker down, defend, not advance and let time run out and the Allies lose. Yet lately, more often than not, it turns into a TDM CoD bloodbath.

Well, as usual, it depends on who has better teamwork.

On a 50-man pub server, it is unlikely the whole Axis team will stay put; a few vets might but at least half will be rushing into caps - and both Assembly and
Rail Axis entrances can be covered by Allies pretty easily.

Overall, winning of Stalingrad Kessel on a 50-man pub server largely depends on which team has a greater proportion of idiots that keep rushing and dying, and a greater proportion of vets that sit back and kill. I hardly ever see that map decided by capping... definitely didn't see that in the past few months.

Of course, with 20 people playing this same map is all about capping.

RE: the HIPS server.
2[SiN]-bswearer

Thank you, that really wasn't a problem. The server is great, nice teamwork, I normally play the Russian server when time difference permits (I'm Russian living in Florida), but I'll drop by your server on other times.

Best wishes,
Daniel.

Upvote 0
ah very cool....we had a long time clan member that is russian and was also living in florida lol. except he had to go back to russia to fill out some paperwork or something and we think he couldn't renew his paperwork!!! lol

but yes, we'd all love to have you back on that server as we continue to try and fill it up. and just to clarify, we all like to think of it as a community server. a couple guys that formed HIPS own the server, but they're members of various clans, and all the people have admin access to the server are from various clans. some from {CoreNA}, some from [3.SA], |aTo|, i think cc// and them myself. that way it's truely a non-affiliated community server. hopefully more people will pick up the concept and we can get one stock maps server filled to keep the american community active until HOS arrives :)

Upvote 0