• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Buy a vid card with Physx or without?

Buy a vid card with Physx or without?

• Yes

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters
I am very surprised by the pole results so far...

Those of you that have voted "no" have you played with PhysX on & off ?
I have nothing special here, a simple gtx460 1go but I do like the effects.

A well programed game will have little impact on performance.
Good implementation is the key.

Useless pages of yesterdays Daily News floating hither and tither are a waste of processing units, IMHO.

No vote for the :timebeing/meanwhile.

Upvote 0
The thing is so few games use it, I can remember two of the top of my head, the batman games and mirrors edge. Also, I don't want to support a closed standard, only benefiting half of the consumers.

I find the new AMD cards and their power saving features much more interesting. Fan shutdown when you power off your screen? Give me!

Upvote 0
GTX 560ti being power efficient? In most benchmarks it uses more power than the HD 6950, and even the 6970 if I am not mistaken.

That being said, the side of the box on mine claims it requires 30 amps on the 12v rail whereas my GTX 260 claims it requires 40. :p

i was just going on -
560ti max 170 watt , more than the standard 560 @ 150w but apparentely a more efficient performer for it's workload.

Now i'm sure you know more than me about this, but with the 2970 max 250w and 2950 200w thats 47% and 33% more respectivly - but it appears they don't out perform by that margin in any bar one regard (texel rate) i could see.

If anything i thought the 6870 was a more comprable ati comparison to the 560 - but i'm not comparing cards and certainly not an expert - i'm just saying that the 560 is pretty power efficient - or at least a decent performer for a relatively low draw - is it not?

And with a max power requirment of 170 watts i suggested the issue of running it with a separate 2nd physx card isnt as bad as it could be.

Upvote 0
Point taken, but I just feel that if you want to run a Physx card you might as well put the money into a single more powerful Nvidia GPU in the first place.

And the 560 (460), 560ti and 560ti 448 (570) are all entirely different cards BTW. The 560ti uses more power than the HD6950 2GB, though the 6950 tends to be faster in most titles.

Upvote 0