• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Music] Bring the djent!

Sufyan

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2011
Sweden
I am completely enarmored with a kind of metal called "djent", which refers to the one kind of sound that ties all "djenty" bands together. It is a sort of tone or sound you get out playing monotonous palm-muted riffs on 7- or 8-string guitars. To add even more power to it, the bass drum is usually playing the same rhythm as the guitars. Curiously, the sound was popularised by Meshuggah and only become sort of a genre of it's own due to online activity. I'm a massive fan of Groove metal (Pantera, Bleed the Sky, Lamb of God) so this feels like a natural progression in modern rhythmic and jazzy metal.

Here are some examples of bands that make use of "djent" style riffing:

Absent Distance - Crystalline - YouTube

Vildhjarta - Shiver - YouTube

Meshuggah - Straws Pulled at Random - YouTube

As you can tell, they are all very different but what they have in common is the twangy metallic 7- or 8-string guitars backed up by fierce bass drums doing the same rhythm.

Thanks for the tip, Cloudkicker sounds great so far. Furious rhythm oriented djenty riffing with great ambience, very listenable and modern. I grew up with 80's metal but I'm not too stuck up to appreciate contemporary music, and this is most excellent. Argueably there is not a lot of djent tone in there, probably needs more detuning and twang, but the influences are there.

Start here like I did:

Cloudkicker - Dysphoria - YouTube

Upvote 0