• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bodies don't respond to bullets after death

CapitalistDog

Aug 31, 2011
I've noticed that bodies don't seem to be affected by bullets after they're dead, to the point where I'll kill someone with an SMG and only the first 3 or so bullets have any effect on the animation and the rest just go through as though a body isn't even there anymore.

Personally, I think it'd be cool if all the bullets register when they hit dead bodies, but I guess this might be done on purpose for performance or somethign like that?

Just a thought while playing...

I would like the ability to increase the lifespan of ragdolls for the people that can handle it. Not sure if there is a way to do it client side or not. As for the OP, I kinda like being able to shoot a dead body and watch it react/receive bullet hole decals/etc. Call it morbid amusement. :p

Upvote 0
I would like the ability to increase the lifespan of ragdolls for the people that can handle it. Not sure if there is a way to do it client side or not. As for the OP, I kinda like being able to shoot a dead body and watch it react/receive bullet hole decals/etc. Call it morbid amusement. :p

If it was clientside it would kind of defeat the purpose of using bodies as camo/cover.

Upvote 0
If it was clientside it would kind of defeat the purpose of using bodies as camo/cover.

Good point. Although, in most source engine games they are client side, as some people will end up with ragdolls in different positions than other players.

Server side ragdolls would fix that, but having added physics like being able to shoot them could put added strain on the server.

(All purely speculation based on my limited dev knowledge, as I have no idea how it is coded.)

Upvote 0
There is a tactical aspect of this as well. If a stiff turns stiff immediately ;), you know he is gone and don't shoot him any more. Otherwise you will have to send a few more bullets in that direction, just in case.

OT: I had the inverse problem in Insugency (Source based). Once dead, their ragdolls had very little mass, so as a support gunner, you shot at enemies until they started being moved by the gunfire.

Reactions: CapitalistDog
Upvote 0
There is a tactical aspect of this as well. If a stiff turns stiff immediately ;), you know he is gone and don't shoot him any more. Otherwise you will have to send a few more bullets in that direction, just in case.

OT: I had the inverse problem in Insugency (Source based). Once dead, their ragdolls had very little mass, so as a support gunner, you shot at enemies until they started being moved by the gunfire.

Very good point.

Upvote 0
Bodies dont respond at all even when their alive.

when shooting a moving target it's hard to tell if you shot him or if the bullet missed.

He will just keep running and show no reaction

This.

Once they do react, it's a rather violent reaction. Death throws, convulsing fetal position movements, etc. The pain causes people to bundle up in a sort.

I don't suggest people go out and look for videos of people being shot, but I've unfortunately seen it several times. Even though they're effectively dead, repeated firing often induces more movements from the muscle tissue not being dead yet. If I kill a deer, quickly skin it and take out a section of muscle it will still quiver to the tip of a blade.

Once dead and not in death throws the body is soft cover. They will reduce the energy of a projectile if used as cover and will stop fragmentation. RO2 desperately needs server-side ragdoll effects. How long they are in effect for respawn games is up to TI. Also, when a bundle of guys burst into a room and meet a hail of gunfire killing them instantly, the guys behind them shouldn't be able to walk through the bodies unimpeded. It should somewhat slow your advancement as you're stepping on uneven, soft ground made of bodies.

Upvote 0