• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Beta Map Black Day July - Beta One

Mr Darcy said:
i don't like the new forest, i liked it much better when you could go far deeper into it as you could ambush the enemy by emerging from cover on their flanks.

Now its just like the forests in Arad, big blocks to funnel the combat.

I had to change it because:
  1. I needed to occlude objects on the other side of the ridge to regain some performance on the map. You can not transverse the forest anymore because I had to place BSP and antiportals inside the trees. You can still enter the forest enough to ambush from it or travel hidden.
  2. It wasn't historically accurate. The rain, the remander of the battle on the main road, the limited tigers or no panthers, the rail road. These are all things I changed because of what I discovered in my research. When I heard that the forests were completely unpassable to tanks because of conditions and thickness I thought: "awesome, now I can remove those forests and add more grass, paint more detail onto the terrain, and add the rail road" (even though it is infact on the wrong side :S) The map itself is based off of topographical data of the actual battle site! (though very much scaled down and adjusted for gameplay reasons)
I'm currently working on adding limited bot support and some more optimization.

I haven't found a better tree yet.

Upvote 0