• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Binoculars???

Probably to give enemy snipers a fair shot at preventing artillery strikes :rolleyes:

Lol, that would be ridiculous. In reality this whole "mark artillery with your binoculars" stuff is absurd anyway. In the real world, the platoon leader or whoever was making the call would just give them corodinates on the map. Only after the round started falling would they call in for adjustment. You really should be able to just point to your map and call in arty, but give it some slight variation.

Reactions: Slappy Cromwell
Upvote 0
Well, I've tried to place a marker before with the binos using primary attack. The arrow has been dropped on the location of my choice however, when marking it with the Mark Artillery Target, it places the location on the map somewhere completely different.

I read that Commanders have the option of discarding markers that SL mark up? Is this true? Would that account as to why sometimes the location doesn't update?

TBH: The bino system feels pretty damn silly in RO:II's maps, far too small in comparison to Ostfront.

Reactions: Tea and Crumpets
Upvote 0
Lol, that would be ridiculous. In reality this whole "mark artillery with your binoculars" stuff is absurd anyway. In the real world, the platoon leader or whoever was making the call would just give them corodinates on the map. Only after the round started falling would they call in for adjustment. You really should be able to just point to your map and call in arty, but give it some slight variation.

Wasn't the idea behind bino marking so that people don't just leap onto the radio and literally call arty on enemy spawn 3 seconds into the match? Obviously you *can* call in arty quickly as long as LOS is available to mark the area. It certainly isn't perfect, nor realistic, but it does put a small limiter on (at least) early match abusing of arty on spawn points.

However, that is negated regardless if the map is designed poorly enough to allow LOS close/ontop of the other teams spawn at start. There needs to be atleast a short amount of time, even if its a mere 15/20 seconds to allow movement from each side.

Hence, thats how i view the role of binos in the use of arty.

Upvote 0
For me, learning how to use the binocs for arty was kind of a waste of time. It's time consuming, often inaccurate, and while you've got them equipped you're pretty much a sitting duck. I just use the orders widget key. I'm not sure of the default though.

I do use the binocs to find marksmen or other targets that are hidden well, but I do so when I'm in cover.

Also, to just practice using them, you can start a bot match by opening the console with ~ and typing in:

open te-fallenfighters?minplayers=32?maxplayers=32

Changing the map name, game mode, and player counts to your preference.

Upvote 0
You just need too put the time in , i've called a number of arty strikes , wiping out a fair number of my own team , and if theres bots on the map you still will , but with practice it comes together , but as the man said always check your map to see where its going , so that it does'nt land 2 inche's in front of your nose

Upvote 0
Wasn't the idea behind bino marking so that people don't just leap onto the radio and literally call arty on enemy spawn 3 seconds into the match? Obviously you *can* call in arty quickly as long as LOS is available to mark the area. It certainly isn't perfect, nor realistic, but it does put a small limiter on (at least) early match abusing of arty on spawn points.

However, that is negated regardless if the map is designed poorly enough to allow LOS close/ontop of the other teams spawn at start. There needs to be atleast a short amount of time, even if its a mere 15/20 seconds to allow movement from each side.

Hence, thats how i view the role of binos in the use of arty.

Indeed. In fact all the present maps (excluding Ogledow) are in reality far too small and cramped for arty to be included on them at all.

Upvote 0
Why do people even use binocs? Its so difficult and worthless. Just hold the command button and right click....much more accurate and you dont even need to switch from your primary weapon. Haven't used binocs since I figured this out after a few minutes as commander...after trying it, they will be a useless feature to you as well.

Only chumps looking to get killed waste time pulling out binocs and constantly readjusting the poor marks...just use command system!

Upvote 0
Only chumps looking to get killed waste time pulling out binocs and constantly readjusting the poor marks...just use command system!

Ahem, the binoculars are the greatest melee weapon in the game I'll have you know. :IS2:

They can be usefull for marking further away targets, and I use them anyways just because it looks so cool.

Upvote 0
Why do people even use binocs? Its so difficult and worthless. Just hold the command button and right click....much more accurate and you dont even need to switch from your primary weapon. Haven't used binocs since I figured this out after a few minutes as commander...after trying it, they will be a useless feature to you as well.

Thanks for the tip. Never knew you could that.

Upvote 0
Wasn't the idea behind bino marking (...)
The whole idea of calling artillery (and even rocket artillery known for total inaccuracy!!!) in 1942, that arrives on the very exact spot (with minimum spread) several seconds later and within a very close vicinity of arty spotter and friendly troops is ridiculous. I don't know whose decision was to include this in the game, but he surely lives in a parallel dimension with alternate history.

Upvote 0
The whole idea of calling artillery (and even rocket artillery known for total inaccuracy!!!) in 1942, that arrives on the very exact spot (with minimum spread) several seconds later and within a very close vicinity of arty spotter and friendly troops is ridiculous. I don't know whose decision was to include this in the game, but he surely lives in a parallel dimension with alternate history.
It's a game, not a world war 2 simulator.

Upvote 0