• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

BF 1942 is now free to play

Also remember all the amazing BF1942 mods out there! I'm hoping this great move by EA breaths some life into many of them. My favorites were Forgotten Hope, Desert Combat, and Galactic Conquest. I'm going to post at thread about these mods + the free game on the BF3 forums with hopes of bringing players back to these mods.

Upvote 0
But wasn't Codename Eagle almost entirely SP? I enjoyed the game even though I never made it past the first three missions. Still have it.
I am actually not sure how extensive the SP is/was, I played it only in multiplayer on LANs. Everything from 2on2 to 10on10 or something. Probably most fun game I've ever played in multiplayer. IIRC the MP was TDM or CTF on 8 different maps or something. The people we used to LAN with used to play CS, DoD, Codename Eagle and Starcraft mostly.

My god, I never knew there was a CE mod for BF2 :O https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vWY2qbz0VI

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They do keep offering good deals/free games, in what can only be attempts to grow the number of Origin users.

This and because of competition. Physical game sales were going down due to prices (at least here in the USA). A box is nice, but why spend $60 for a game that can be had for $30 online?

Origin initially kept high prices with few sales which were not that great. Aside from EA only games it made no sense to buy from Origin when you could get the games cheaper elsewhere. I think they learned quickly that they had to be competitive if they wanted to make any sales.

Upvote 0
It's not so much that I have a specific problem with Origin, I just have Steam already and I don't want to deal with two of these platforms. I didn't want to deal with Impulse either.

Thankfully GoG.com doesn't have its own platform and just hands you the games with a good old fashioned setup download.:)

Doesnt work with original BF1942 which is kind of lame.
Smells intentional, imo, because this way they can make those who already have the game switch to Origin too.

Upvote 0