• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Better Water Effects

k4lam1ty

FNG / Fresh Meat
Aug 5, 2006
I think that RO can be made more realistic if bullets create a splash when they hit the water such as in konigsplatz. I noticed that they just hit the ground and create a bullethole. Also, i think that there should be a louder sloshing sound when u walk through water and possibly add some splashes? What do u guys think?

Right now they just have fluidsurfaces. The reason water is always shallow is because if you go below a fuildsurface, it looks as if there is no water. If you try making a map with an actual water volume, it just turns out funky and glitchy.

Basically, it's the best they can do with the current engine, I think.

Upvote 0
Yes water in the UT engine is very strange. Its really ment to be looked at, but not entered, as there is no swimming animation. Also, If you want the water to look more realistic, such as the german spawn near tower in kaukasus, you need to create that reflection? Also, water can be a very big performance hit on some machines, so its better to save FPS by having lower detail water.

Upvote 0