• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

PC [Beta1] GetAll Console command no longer working in Online Play

Delta69er

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2017
Category: Code

Reproducibility: Always

Summary: Can no longer use getall console command to debug mods

Description: Not much more than that - getall is one of the most important debugging commands for modding and especially important for figuring out issues in online play.

Simple actions like getall kfpawn class and getall kfweapon class are used pretty frequently (among many others).

Command still works in Offline play.

Please fix this before the Update goes live...

Online/Offline: Online Only

Kittenmittens

Great idea, screw over the few modders who haven't already given up due to your complete disregard of those who might have to work with your poorly implemented, inflexible, bug-ridden systems. Let's just remove one of the most important (and frankly one of the only) debugging techniques available to us. Did your team even think of the ramifications this might have on modders and mod output?

There's already so few mods that require non-trivial netcode (and some that aren't out yet) and you've just severely hindered their development, since debugging in online play necessitates the use of getall.

The boss index issue is easy to circumvent, and I'm unaware of any major exploits revolving around getall in multiplayer. Surely you could be a little more imaginative than disabling such an important feature. I guess not.

This has to be the most ridiculous decision I've seen so far, and that's saying something!

By the way, I heard you wanted those affected to voice their concerns to get a bit more weight behind the opinion. That might work if you hadn't already killed the modding community long ago.

Upvote 0
Kittenmittens;n2332175 said:
The command no longer works online.

At all!? At a minimum, put it behind admin or cheats (preferably the former). I agree with the above posts that GetAll is an important part of online mod debugging. There are ways to get around this change (e.g. debug HUDs), but they're rather non-trivial to implement, and really only available for mods that already have a strong client-side component. As Pharrahnox stated above, there are other ways that TWI could have handled the boss index GetAll. I would really like to know what other GetAll's would give any real online advantage.

Upvote 0