• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics being commander calling artillery

I too have found that getting a teammate to call in your coords does not work or works only infrequently.

The usual TK-kick process goes like this:

Me: "Artillery inbound between AT Trench and Command Bunker. Check your maps and get clear!"

Then I call the artillery, so there's plenty of time for teammates to get clear.

Salvo 1 lands, kills Germans
Salvo 2 lands, kills Germans

Me: "Artillery still falling, stay back and defend near Command Bunker!"

Salvo 3 falls and I get kicked for the TK.

It doesn't bother me too much; some folks either have their VoIP turned off, or don't notice the artillery salvoes falling right in front of them as they charge to their doom. Besides, it's all compensated for by seeing those Germans flying up in the air in front of the Railway Station!

Regards

Upvote 0
Cordite said:
maybe this is a glitch then b/c IIRC in the mod anyone could call in strikes (once the commander set the coordinates)
As far as I've noticed in Ostfront anyone with binoculars can set coordinates (commander/tank commander/tank crew (tank commander & tank crew have to get out of the tank to set them though). And all soldiers can radio it in.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Quietus said:
As far as I've noticed in Ostfront anyone with binoculars can set coordinates (commander/tank commander/tank crew (tank commander & tank crew have to get out of the tank to set them though). And all soldiers can radio it in.

I've tried to have someone radio in a strike on hedgehog after I set the coords with my binoculars, but it wouldn't let them...kept saying "no coordinates selected yet" for the guy at the radio.

Upvote 0
anti said:
Arty is best used to hit an area after you have captured it and your side is on the way to another cap.

This way the the rounds are stopping an enemy re taking the position.

I dissagree. Allthough it will prevent recapture it will also slow down your progress. Hit Hard and fast :p. Thats the way the war was meant to be fought. Its also the way modern armies work. I found the arty is between the objective and the enemy spawn. This way it forces them to go around or die. slowing them down. Not only that their side will suffer more form shell shock then yours giving you an advantage during a firefight. Plus it does not interfere with your cap but its does to your enemies defence. Also it helps give your an army a chance to advance a little even once you've cappe dthe objective. It will also cover your advance. Once you've capped and gone forward a bit it should end. Timing is crucial with artys

Upvote 0
Cordite said:
I've tried to have someone radio in a strike on hedgehog after I set the coords with my binoculars, but it wouldn't let them...kept saying "no coordinates selected yet" for the guy at the radio.
They need to disable doing it in practice mode then because if I mark coords as comm then suicide and spawn as any regular soldier, I can then call in the arty that the comm marked. Anyway its good that you can't do that in multiplayer because when you think about it the comm marks the coords then somehow some random soldier in another location calls in the exact spot (through telepathy?) the comm marked arty to fall? It must just be a bug in practice mode then.

Upvote 0
Map

Map

I always send typed note to team that arty is going in and to check map so not to move into it. Map shows location where the strike is going in at.

Also, I do not think you can canel the fire mission, but if you call in another mission while it is going in, they will stop and shift fire to the new mission rather than continuing to fire on the previous target.

Friendly fire casualties from artillery was not unusual. And yes, I have made mistakes and been kicked. But also have had infantry move into the fire.

Upvote 0