• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Battle Sources for Mappers

chairmanLMAO

Mar 16, 2006
I know this may have existed before, or is buried somewhere in this section of the forums somewhere,

but it would be great if there was a sticky in this forum, with posts from people who could post historical small battles that mappers could use, listing the time, forces, and assets that where used.

I understand it should be up to the specific mapper to do this himself, but something like this cant do anything but good i say, as far as helping the newer, younger, uninformed, or just people who cant find info about some of the eastern front WWII history.

usually finding info on the large battles is easy but it tends to be broad.

Not to mention, some people tend to be able to have alot more sources than others for this kind of information.

For tank engagement ideas: The Battle of Kursk - David Glantz
Best account of the biggest tank battle in the war, and includes such interesting scenarios as Tiger tanks vs. T-34/76 and KV-1s, or mechanized infantry assaults by the Grossdeutschland Division supported by some of the first Panthers to enter the battlefield.

For urban combined arms: The Siege of Budapest - Krisztian Ungvary
A street by street account of the 100 day siege of Budapest, with heavy fighting through stadiums, museums, cemetaries, and villas. I've been using it to plot out a map for RO, but there's so many possibilities I've had trouble nailing it down :D

I've also been reading Tank Rider by Evgeni Bessonov, about a tank desant company travelling from Kursk to Berlin. In particular he describes an interesting battle, where his infantry company had to take the town of Skalat in the Ukraine from two Tiger tanks. The Tigers prevented their T-34s from entering the town, so his unit went in on foot to hunt them out. They spent the next several days playing cat and mouse with the Tigers, eventually taking them out with petrol bombs.

Upvote 0