• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

AVT-40 vs MkB

• Kar > Mos
They're at the very least equal, and the MN has better ironsights if you ask me.

The Mosin Nagant is supposed to have a faster muzzle velocity IRL (Wikipedia tells me it's about 40 m/s faster, which is of some significance in reality) due to the round it uses, though who knows if this difference is modeled in RO2, or even significant to gameplay.

---

Upvote 0
I'd take the AVT over the MKB any day.

Granted, I'm the kind of guy that does everything he can to not be a noob or tool, and I only had the weapon until the reset through the glitch. The key I've found to using it is to go very light on the trigger. 1 click pops off almost 3 rounds, and after those it just goes all over the place.

The MKB seems like a stronger MP40. Very controllable but not too accurate from what i've seen.

Upvote 0
The German have the best weapons in the game.

• Mg 34 > PD
  • MkB > AVT - 40
  • Kar > Mos
And so the story goes.

MG-34 < DP-27 (in real life) in game it's about personal taste
Mkb-42 > AVT-40 (yes, but it was not in Stalingrad :D)
MP-40 < PPSh-41 (by far)
Kar98 sniper < Mosin sniper (in real life, in game it's same)
Kar98 = Mosin (only big difference are sights, everything other is personal taste)
TT33 > P38 (in game, in real life it's hard to tell)
SVT-40 > G41 (in game)
SVT-40 >>>> G41 (in real life ^^)

I would say that only better gun Germans have is MG-34 and only in the game. In real life DP-27 was better. Also my friends prefer DP-27 even in the game because of sights.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure how it was better IRL (although it was a good weapon, well-suited for its purpose), but I prefer DP to MG, because:

1) it has a reasonable rate of fire. MG34 has it way too high, and when you want to shoot stuff from more than a 70-100 m (like, you know, a real machinegunner) full-auto becomes awfully unstable. High ROF is only good when you're ramboing and lying down in a corridor and shooting at people from 20 m.

2) it has faster reload. I don't know how large the difference is, but MG's reload seems to drag on, and on, and on (and yes, I have been killed because of it).

3) it has better sights. DP's sights actually allow you to see what you're doing.

4) it allows you to see how much ammo you have left in the drum without pausing. Very useful when you are not planning to run into the capzone, shoot two bursts and die.

Upvote 0
MG-34 < DP-27 (in real life) in game it's about personal taste
Mkb-42 > AVT-40 (yes, but it was not in Stalingrad :D)
MP-40 < PPSh-41 (by far)
Kar98 sniper < Mosin sniper (in real life, in game it's same)
Kar98 = Mosin (only big difference are sights, everything other is personal taste)
TT33 > P38 (in game, in real life it's hard to tell)
SVT-40 > G41 (in game)
SVT-40 >>>> G41 (in real life ^^)

MG34 and Kar98k are vastly better weapons than their Russian counterparts in real life.

Sadly in the default game the Kar98k is actually inferior to the MN9130 (in accuracy, namely, though the difference is so small it'd take a range of over 1500m to make a difference.)

Upvote 0
@OP You can already choose which unlocks you want to use. When you are selecting the class and weapon just klick on those >, >>, and >>> right next to the weapon image.
the o.p. posted this two years ago hasn't been on in 8 months and I don't think you could unlock the upgrades when he posted this.
on topic.......the AVT sux! :)

Upvote 0
The German have the best weapons in the game.

• Mg 34 > PD
  • MkB > AVT - 40
  • Kar > Mos
And so the story goes.

The weapons are equal, with the exception of the MkB, and MG34.

• MG 34 > DP (both effective, only the larger belt gives a significant advantage at level 50, also available to hero allies)
  • MkB > AVT - 40 (To be honest it is not fair to compare the AVT40 to the MkB. In my opinion the MkB42 is too good and shouldn't be in the game. available to hero allies anyway)
  • Kar 98 = Mosin Nagant (no difference, only personal preference)
  • PPSh > MP40 (by far, available to hero axis - VERY frequently used by hero axis)
  • SVT-40 > G41 (the G41 is bad and Axis heros frequently use the SVT anyway)
So you can see that the guns are equal on both sides. Therefore, anyone who plays Axis because they think the guns are better, is just another Axis stacker or Axis-only winning team joiner type player the community would be better without.

Upvote 0
I have both at level 50. I prefer the AVT-40 especially after you acquire the muzzle brake. Yeah the recoil, before that, isn't the easiest, and the magazine size is small, but that just means you need to use well aimed short bursts. Coupled with the huge power of the AVT-40, all you really need is a 2 or 3 shot burst, and your target is down. The AVT-40 is not useless. It is if you're trying to use it like a SMG with a large magazine and just spraying in the enemy's general direction. Use it as a RIFLE, an automatic battle RIFLE, and it's quite effective. At close range, you can clear tight spaces like hallways of multiple enemies VERY quickly. Full auto, coupled with penetration, and high power, 10 rounds could easily take out 7 guys or more, depending on if you shoot through enemies and hit a player/bot behind another player/bot, which is quite easy to do in buildings and hallways.

Also can anyone explain why the K98 is 'better' than the Mosin Nagant? I know IRL the K98 was a better made, better performing weapon, but in RO2, they both have equal accuracy, the fire rate is very similar. The only difference I've noticed, is that it seems the Mosin nagant, makes more 1 hit kills than the K98, or at least in my hands. Same goes for the other 7.62x54R weapons. The Russian Semi autos seem more powerful to me. I generally prefer the Russian weapons, with the exception of the German MG34 and AT rifle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have level 50 versions of both the AVT and the MkB, and I find that they are both useful for certain situations. I find the MkB to be much more controllable and accurate on full-auto, so it is best used like a multi-purpose weapon, maybe not the best at any one thing, but good at all things. The AVT excels at extreme close combat due to its high power and high rate of fire. I try to be extremely quick and get very close to the enemy when i use it, and often hipfire a short burst at a nearby enemy before going in with the bayonet. I personally feel that this weapon is the best for extreme close range combat and often beat PPShs, MP40s, and MkBs by using this tactic. At longer ranges, I switch to semi-auto and use the scope to pick off enemies at a distance.

Upvote 0
MG34 and Kar98k are vastly better weapons than their Russian counterparts in real life.

Sadly in the default game the Kar98k is actually inferior to the MN9130 (in accuracy, namely, though the difference is so small it'd take a range of over 1500m to make a difference.)

MG-34 had big reliability problems unlike DP-27 that was very reliable. Also MG-34 had worse sights.
MG-42 was better then DP-27 however no doubt. Only thing that MG-34 has better is rate of fire and it don't have to be an advantage. Accuracy was also not very good.

Mosin vs Kar98k were not simply better, they had some advantages and some disadvantages, but I would not say that they were just better all the way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That has got to be a record necro that I've seen.

Anyway, I'm curious to hear who thought the DP-28 was better and in what respect. In-game, I don't really have a preference because I never thought three more rounds (default) and the higher rate of fire of the MG-34 to be that much of an advantage.

DP-27 and DP-28 is same name, but DP-27 is original Russian mark.

Anyway MG-34 had large reliability problems on the eastern front, unlike DP-27 that was totally reliable and MG-34 were going to overheat quite often. But because RO2 have no jamming MG-34 is just superior (IMHO).

Also MG-42 was tested in Stalingrad to see if reliability problems of MG-34 were removed.

Upvote 0