• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

AVT-40 vs MkB

Fuhrer Cool

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 18, 2008
USA
Hello all

I unlocked the AVT-40 and MkB veteran assault weapons awhile ago, but just started using the AVT-40.

I don't see many people using AVT-40s (or i'm just not paying attention), but everyone uses MkBs when available :)

What are everyone's thoughts on the AVT-40? I am not doing well with it, but I keep using it because it is more rewarding than spraying people down with a PPSH, and especially a MkB.

Here's what I think:

AVT-40

Pros:

-Very powerful (shooting through everything is always fun)

-Option to go fully automatic (like MkB)

-I would assume very accurate

-Can reload with one or two stripper clips unlike MkB where you must reload the whole magazine, risking using empty magazines later, although sometimes you need to hit reload twice and load two stripper clips, which takes a long time

-I don't see many people using them, so possibly uncommon compared to the MkB and the PPSH

Cons:

-I find it completely uncontrollable on fully automatic, granted i'm only about level 4 with it. Even while lying prone and resting the weapon, I have a very hard time compensating for the vertical climb

-10 round magazine (sometimes I end up with about 11 or 12 rounds by messing with the reload) compared to the MkBs 30 round magazine

-Magazine empties extremely quickly on fully automatic

-Just feels meh. It's a fully automatic SVT-40. The MkB is more interesting

What does everyone else think of it? Lately, I have been using the AVT-40 (level 4?) all the time over my Level 43 PPSH. The only times i've used the MkB was when i've picked it up from a dead person, or just messed around with it for like one spawn against bots, so I don't know much about it. I'm hoping the recoil gets better once I advance up more, but it takes quite a lot of kill points.

Opinions? :cool:

EDIT: Also, i'm hoping we get an option to choose which (if any) unlocks we use, I have a feeling the 3.5x scope will get in the way on some maps.

Last edited:
They both have 10 round mags. The AVT's high rate of fire, failure to hit the target at anything over extreme close range with anything other than the first round fired (making auto mode useless unless you're nearly face to face with an enemy, and your close range hit detection works), slow stripper clip reload and lousy 20 round capacity render it practically useless in full auto mode. You have to set it to semi automatic, which then makes it ... WAAAIT for iiiiiiit ... an SVT. Meaning, the Russians don't really HAVE any assault rifle. :D

Upvote 0
lousy 20 round capacity render it practically useless in full auto mode.

It's even worse than that, it can fire a maximum of 11 rounds if I remember correctly.

For example, if you spawn in, and fire until the weapon is empty, you fire 10 rounds. If you spawn and press reload before doing anything, you get 11 rounds.

I think this works on most weapons as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Works with any gun with a detachable mag as well as the SVT and G41, because by pulling on the lever or bolt or whatever it chambers a round, so you can stick a different mag with 30 rounds in it (for example) to add to the one round, unless you cock it again as that will expell the chambered round, depending on whether or not the gun has an ammo saving mechanism (for example like how the Kar 98 will eject the unspent round so that after you fire once you still have to load two bullets, while the Moisin will only need to reload the bullet you shot.)

Upvote 0
The AVT is more or less an SVT with its trigger assembly modified for full auto. Probably takes about an hour or two to do if you have the parts already available.

I have lvl 50 SVT-40 and the bayonet is the best feature of the gun. I don't think full automatic would make a difference because you either stab somebody, pop them in one shot, or get killed instantly.

Upvote 0
The AVT is more or less an SVT with its trigger assembly modified for full auto. Probably takes about an hour or two to do if you have the parts already available.

Actually the kick caused by the full auto mode made it so the frame of the weapon had to be a different wood than the SVT, the SVT used a softwood, while the AVT used a heavier hardwood frame. I'm not sure but different metal may had been used for the bolt and mechanism due to wear and deformation due to semi-constant automatic fire.

Also...

To supplement the Red Army's shortage of machine guns, an SVT version capable of full-automatic fire was produced in 1943, and was designated the AVT-40. It was externally similar to the SVT, but its modified safety also acted as a fire selector. A larger 15 or 20 round capacity magazine was reportedly designed for use with the AVT, but this is unconfirmed and there are no known examples. The AVT featured a slightly stouter stock; surplus AVT stocks were later used on refurbished SVTs. In service, the AVT proved to be a disappointment: automatic fire was largely uncontrollable, and the rifles often suffered breakages under the increased strain. The use of the AVT's automatic fire mode was subsequently prohibited, and production of the rifle was relatively brief.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SVT-40

Upvote 0
I love the AVT-40, it's one of my favourite weapons. What I love is I can put it into single shot mode to take out enemies from far away, and then switch it to auto and take out enemies very close, who stand little chance of killing me.

To compensate for the low magazine you would use a bayonet, so once you run out of ammo you can charge at them (works like a charm!).

And once you unlock the flash suppressor you can stay hidden very easily, making this a very long range weapon, and a close change weapon, too.

Upvote 0
What I love is I can put it into single shot mode to take out enemies from far away, and then switch it to auto and take out enemies very close, who stand little chance of killing me.

To compensate for the low magazine you would use a bayonet, so once you run out of ammo you can charge at them (works like a charm!).

And once you unlock the flash suppressor you can stay hidden very easily, making this a very long range weapon, and a close change weapon, too.

Well, MkB gets a bayonet as well, it also has full/semi auto, and (I think) good accuracy, at least for the ranges we have ingame. Also, I can't imagine that the MkB's recoil is as bad or worse as the AVT-40's on full auto.

Upvote 0
Actually the kick caused by the full auto mode made it so the frame of the weapon had to be a different wood than the SVT, the SVT used a softwood, while the AVT used a heavier hardwood frame. I'm not sure but different metal may had been used for the bolt and mechanism due to wear and deformation due to semi-constant automatic fire.

It wasn't a weapon designed for full automatic in the first-place and it's more or less a comparison of the M1 Garand and the M14.

Upvote 0
If the AVT had a larger clip like 20 rounds it would be so much more usable. As it is, its an SVT or its a full auto gun that can't kill more than 1-2 people in a row without reloading. Bullet spread in full auto is also insane try standing 10m from a building and firing and looking at it especially if you compare with mkb or mp-40. It's decent, but I mostly used it as a semi auto to get it to about lvl 20. It's got too many disadvantages for its few advantages. Now I'll sometimes pick up an avt to use for bullet penetration if I've got a second gun, but there's very little reason to use it over an smg.

Upvote 0
Works with any gun with a detachable mag as well as the SVT and G41, because by pulling on the lever or bolt or whatever it chambers a round, so you can stick a different mag with 30 rounds in it (for example) to add to the one round, unless you cock it again as that will expell the chambered round, depending on whether or not the gun has an ammo saving mechanism (for example like how the Kar 98 will eject the unspent round so that after you fire once you still have to load two bullets, while the Moisin will only need to reload the bullet you shot.)

See http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=70719 The mosin nagant is bugged.

Upvote 0
It's even worse than that, it can fire a maximum of 11 rounds if I remember correctly.

For example, if you spawn in, and fire until the weapon is empty, you fire 10 rounds. If you spawn and press reload before doing anything, you get 11 rounds.

I think this works on most weapons as well.

You're right. Sorry, major brain fart on my part, especially since I already stated 10 round clip at the beginning of my post. Somehow, my brain & fingers were just intent on typing 20 for how many are actually fired. The guy who can invent the 10 round clip that fires 20 rounds will be a very rich arms manufacturer! :eek:

Upvote 0