• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Automatic bold action reload?

SturmSS

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2007
I don't know whether its just me or the wrong servers I'm joining - but one of the things that did disappoint me about RO2 was the automatic reload of the bolt after firing.

Initially when I found out that you had to manually reload the bolt by clicking Mouse 1 again in RO1 I was quite confused and annoyed - something I wasn't used to - given that games at the time were Call of Duty (1/2) and Day of Defeat where you had the luxury of an automatic reload - something you took for granted. So having to do this yourself was quite left field.

So it came down to this inconvenience of having to press Mouse 1 again - so what? Basically I felt it added to realism in many aspects. From my experiences, many a time I'd be in the heat of battle shooting an enemy from afar or trying to pre-empt where to shoot. Finally I'd have a shot all lined up and what do you know I would have forgotten to reload my bolt from a previous engagement - which would then cost me. I felt that bullets were a lot more precious and that every shot had to count - a lot more so than now with RO2 or previous WW2 FPS's

So the fact that you were responsible for reloading instead of the game programming would lead to much more human error of course - something which would have no doubt happened on the field back in the day. Mistakes which would cost me and others, and something you'd have to try and eliminate if you were to become a better gaming soldier.

But from another perspective what I think the automatic reload hurts the most is the potential for melee combat in RO2. Melee combat in RO1 was a huge highlight for me something that I both enjoyed and certainly got the adrenaline pumping with the frantic attempt to kill your enemy before he kills you! With an automatic reload whats stopping you from just basially holding down Mouse 1 when an enemy's at point blank range? Many a time in RO2 I've gone to charge someone and they've chosen the option to shoot me rather than melee back (TBH -50 honour hehe) but in RO1 the inconvienience of having to reload your bolt took more time if you weren't quick enough and so (I found atleast) made me inclined to use melee when in sticky close quarter situations. Basically the melee combat now does not discriminate the rookies from the veterans (not to infer that all rookies would prefer to shoot and all the veterans to bayonet) because there's the added convenience of that automatic reload which would make you more inclined to spam than bayonet back!

I hope I've stressed my point well!

Thanks!

Thanks for letting me know you can change it!
I most certainly agree, of course those who have the automatic reload are at an instant advantage than those who manually have to do it. +1 for enforcing it for everyone. However I feel that for the non-RO1 vets it won't be taken too favourably.

Upvote 0
Yep, and I did. But people who did not have a certain advantage. It should be forced for everybody.

Thanks for letting me know you can change it!
I most certainly agree, of course those who have the automatic reload are at an instant advantage than those who manually have to do it. +1 for enforcing it for everyone. However I feel that for the non-RO1 vets it won't be taken too favourably.

Manual bolting has a speed advantage over automatic.

Also, manual bolting was in RO mainly because the fact that animations couldn't be interrupted in a nice fashion in the UT2004 engine. That means you couldn't use your bayo before you finished cycling in another round in you bolt action, which was kind of annoying.

This isn't a problem in UE3, hence the automatic bolting.

I can see how that extra click to bolt adds to the immersion, but for people with wrist problems, skipping that extra click is a godsend.

Upvote 0
I need a summary of that post. I was confused.

He said he didn't like manual bolting.
He is upset about automatic bolting? (Option to disable it)
He said he liked somewhat manual bolting and he didn't like it.

I'm totally lost here.

Newer players to RO prefer automated bolting, leave the feature in. It almost makes no difference in. When players get bayonets they will melee. I honestly just shoot down anyone silly enough to try and melee me. Always have even in RO1. RO1 had the worst melee system ever.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So manual bolting is faster... interessting. But isn't there also a auto-reload feature? Can't imagine a disadvantage to that.

I can imagine a situation where auto reload happens after emptying a mag, but you really wanted to switch to a pistol because of that Fritz running right at you...

I dunno, I like to reload manually :)

Upvote 0