• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

authentication failed 1/2

Nord_Kind

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 17, 2013
It ran kind of (apart from the horrendous bugs, but at least I could play...) fine and then out of nowhere I get the "authentification failed 1/2" disconnect all the time I join a game.

This game has game breaking issues. And this bug seems to persist for longer than a week.

Even though I got nearly 1000 hours in RO2 and I really love the gameplay, I would like to refund this game.

Sadly this bug on first occured after 7 hours....and steam refunds require less then 2 hours play time...

You drive your player base away with bugs like this.

I could fix the problem with the deletion of my configs. But not for long....

Now I got the same issue again but a deletion of the configs wont solve it again.

I am currently redownloading the game (which only takes 3 hours...).

That mixed with the issue that starting the game can take up to half an hour (not kidding) makes for a real nice experience.

Upvote 0
Do you only get that error after a period of 1-2 minutes after joining a server? Generally that error shows up when someone isn't running the EAC sandbox. i.e. They have launched the game directly using VNGame.exe instead of RisingStorm2.exe. The server is unable to verify the anti-cheat status and removes you. Are you running the game directly out of Steam or via a shortcut?

Upvote 0
First: Thank you for answering my bug report.

Second: I have to correct sth. The exact wording is "authentication timed out (1/2)".

This bug is extremely strange. I only got it after 7 hours of play time. After that I tried everything to fix it.

After deleting my user files I could join a server again. But not for long - I got kicked out again a coulpe of hours later.

At some point it seemed that "verify integrity of game files..." through the steam properties fixed the issue. But not for long again. After a couple of hours I started to get kicked out of every server again.

In the end every thing I once used to get rid of the bug didnt work anymore.

The day before yesterday nothing helped. I tried all solution from above including fresh installation and the deletion of the EAC folder in RS2 pared with a fresh integrity check to redownload that said folder.

Nothing worked.

Then without changing anything further I could play again YESTERDAY for a couple of hours after work.

Today I come back from work without changing anything again and I am getting kicked out of every server again.

I am getting kicked out after approx. ~ 1-2 minutes. Before that I can play completely fine without any issues. But not for long.

One thing to note is that I got the feeling that this bug often occurs after the game crashed. This might not be true and could have other reasons but it might lead to sth.

I strongly believe it has sth to do with the EAC. As written before the game takes AGES to start. I believe this is because EAC has problems. This is underpinned by the fact that the log file (launcher_log.txt) of EAC looks similar to this:

""LauncherProgress] 1%
[LauncherProgress] 1%
[LauncherProgress] 1%
[LauncherProgress] 1%
[LauncherProgress] 1%
[LauncherProgress] 2%
[LauncherProgress] 2%
[LauncherProgress] 3%
[LauncherProgress] 3%
[LauncherProgress] 5%
[LauncherProgress] 5%
[LauncherProgress] 6%
[LauncherProgress] 6%
[LauncherProgress] 7%
[LauncherProgress] 7%
[LauncherProgress] 9%
[LauncherProgress] 9%
[LauncherProgress] 10%
[LauncherProgress] 10%
[LauncherProgress] 11%
[LauncherProgress] 11%
[LauncherProgress] 1%
[LauncherProgress] 1%
[LauncherProgress] 1%
[LauncherProgress] 1%
[LauncherProgress] 1%
[LauncherProgress] 2%
[LauncherProgress] 2%
[LauncherProgress] 3%
[LauncherProgress] 3%
[LauncherProgress] 5%
[LauncherProgress] 5%
[LauncherProgress] 6%
[LauncherProgress] 6%
[LauncherProgress] 7%
[LauncherProgress] 7%
[LauncherProgress] 9%
[LauncherProgress] 9%
[LauncherProgress] 10%
[LauncherProgress] 10%
[LauncherProgress] 11%
[LauncherProgress] 11%
[LauncherProgress] 1%
[LauncherProgress] 1%
[LauncherProgress] 1%
[LauncherProgress] 1%
[LauncherProgress] 1%
[LauncherProgress] 2%
[LauncherProgress] 2%
[LauncherProgress] 3%
[LauncherProgress] 3%
[LauncherProgress] 5%
[LauncherProgress] 5%
[LauncherProgress] 6%
[LauncherProgress] 6%
[LauncherProgress] 7%
[LauncherProgress] 7%
[LauncherProgress] 9%
[LauncherProgress] 9%
[LauncherProgress] 10%
[LauncherProgress] 10%
""

I also believe there might be an issue on the server side since I sometimes can play and then without changing anything suddenly cant play anymore.

Srsly - this kind of bug is a no go. Apart from any bugs in the game, the one thing a product I buy must deliever is that I must be able to play it.

Best regards

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Are you launching the game through Steam? You never answered that question (if you did, I've overlooked it and apologize)
What router are you using? Are you hardwired to the router or wireless?
When it fails, see if EasyAntiCheat is still running as a service.
Are you running any Anti-virus? If so, have you tried giving the game's and EasyAntiCheat's .exe an exception?

Just things to try......

Upvote 0
Allways starting through Steam. (ANd game takes couple of minutes to actually start)

I use 360 total security and Windows Firewall.

One time turning off 360 security seemed to do the trick. But then the issue returned. Even turned off the Firewall but no cigar.

I am hardwired to the router, allthough I am not currently sure of the name.

EAC is still listed in services, but the status is finished (or the english equivalent of "beendet" in german). Trying to restart the service thruogh the taskmanage wont work.

I just tried turning off the AntiVirus again but it didnt help as expected.

Upvote 0
Sorry, looks like I misunderstood them. What they actually wanted to know was whether the OP is able to successfully download that file manually through his browser. Normally the client downloads it, but since his client is clearly struggling, they wanted to verify that he's actually able to download that file outside the EAC client. He doesn't need to run it, just confirm that it can be downloaded quickly and successfully.

Upvote 0
Allthough when I stop my antivirus program I am able to fully download it. It only downloads the file with a delay though. Like it doesnt seem to start the download for like 10 seconds and then it instantly downloads.

I will now try to run the game and see if it connects me.

Jepp....it kicks me out again.

Upvote 0