• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server At wits end.

G_Sajer

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 4, 2011
Minnesota
:confused:

At the end of my rope.

I've got 3 weeks invested in a game server, and ive got most

problems worked out but one: The server is just about impossible

for anyone to connect to but me. Often I cant either.

Here's the scenario:

the server is separate from my own computer.

Since it is at my home, it runs behind a router.

the router has a dedicated static ip which I submitted to tripwire. 63.231.255.46

The server has it's own static address in public domain.

two way port forwarding is as follows:

7777-7779

27015-27019

the only ay I can reliably get the server on the ranked list is to drop firewalls. fine.

the star.bat is as follows:

start .\Binaries\Win32\ROGame.exe TE-Butovo-B4?minplayers=22?maxplayers=32 -seekfreeloadingserver -multihome=192.168.0.51

-port=7777 -log=ServerLog.log -PREFERPROCESSOR=0

Everything starts fine.

when you go into the game server list you can attemp to connect.

Most of the time, you will see 63.231.255.46:7777 at the lower

left hand side of the screen. Nothing further happens until access timeout. On rare occasions, someone actually gets in.

Here's where it gets curious.

If you go into the STEAM server list and go to favorites, you can do the following:

You enter 63.231.255.46:27015 and request to find Ro2 games at this address. Result: "server not responding."

Using the same procedure you type in 192.168.0.51:27015 BANG!

there is the server. You can add it to favorites. Yet...

No one seems to be able to access it that way most of the time either. Server access timeout.

At various times the in game server list has reported the ip

of my server as being either 63.231.255.46 OR 192.168.0.51

Its pure schitzophrenia. If I plug one of addresses in and ask to

connect, a timeout is the likely result. I'm only running custom maps on this server.

I need to hear from people that are running a home server behind a router successfully. If any. What are you doing diffrent?

If I cant find a solution in a reasonable period of time, I've

no choice but to cashier the whole endeavor. No one can get on this thing but me. When anyone gets into it, the server runs splendidly.

Last edited:
If I specify 63.231.255.46 for multihome the server engine blows lunch indicating it cannot find all kinds of game content. Then it disconnects.

If I specify the server static ip or insert no multihome at all, it starts normally.
You don't need -multihome anyway....you only need that if you're running more than one server.

63.231.255.46:27015 is wrong.....should be 63.231.255.46:7777

YOU must connect to the server via the LAN tab in the browser NOT the internet tab.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Try using a standard map to start the server,players can't join if they don't have a custom map.

Yeah. I'm set up for the TE-Apartments map.
I set up he bat file without specifying multihome.
the server starts fine.

I went to the steam server list and attempted this:

Find (RO2) games at this address: 63.231.255.46:7777
No response from server.

Find (RO2) games at this address: 63.231.255.46:27015
No response from server.

Find (RO2) games at this address: 192.168.0.71:7777 (newly assigned server lan address)
No response from server.

Find (RO2) games at this address: 192.168.0.71:27015
Steam finds the server and lists it in blue.

I add the server to favorites and I am able to access normally.
I suppose I should point out that my game computer is assigned
lan address 192.168.0.67 and shares the router with the server.
how this might influence things is not clear.

The server is not yet in the ranked list, but it does show up on favorites,
even in the in-game server list and I can access there too.

This is pretty much how things were behaving a few days ago. It often showed up on the ranked list, but whether or not anyone including me could access on the ranked list was rare. The attempt often times out.

You mentioned this: "YOU must connect to the server via the LAN tab in the browser NOT the internet tab."
Why is this important for me to do?

I'm going to leave the server online for awhile to see if the ranked list picks it up. Here's hoping. :confused:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
:eek:

oops. Had to make a correction in my port forwarding.

Now the steam browser finds the game when I punch in 63.231.255.46:27015

I saved it to favorites.

When I ask to retrieve server status on that same favorites entry, steam
reports the server at 192.168.0.71

STEAM seems to find the server at both addresses now.

Nothing on the ranked list as yet, but this is a better situation than I had.

Your comment about me entering game through the lan? It that so I do not compete for upstream bandwidth through the router?

Upvote 0
The Steam list uses port 27015, you don't need to specify the port when searching in Steam.
Steam checks both lan address' and internet address' at the same time,that's why it may show two different ip address at the same time, but YOU can only connect via the lan address.
The ingame browser uses port 7777, but it should be visible on the lan tab as well.

You cannot host a server AND connect to it from the Internet at the same time over the same external ip address., so YOU can only connect to it using the lan address.

Upvote 0
:eek:

You cannot host a server AND connect to it from the Internet at the same time over the same external ip address., so YOU can only connect to it using the lan address.

Wow. This is something I was NOT aware of. This may well explain why clan mates and sometimes I could not access the server at times. Holy toledo! I would always be accessing the server through the net.
This may explain a lot!

Upvote 0
:)

I just conformed that my clanmates can access again over the net.
They found and accessed the server by going into the steam browser and adding the EXTERNAL router address 63.231.255.46:27015. Then saving it to favorites.

:( However, the server has yet to show up on the ranked list any time today. When I start the router, the CIDR confirms ranked. There is no message indicating any trouble in starting. But other than the favorites list, the steam browser and the internal game browser dont seem to have a clue that the thing exists for the ranked column. This is kind of where I was a few days ago. But at least now I know not to access game via net.

Is there anything you can think of that I could do to coax it to show up on the list? I could try multiple server restarts, but maybe it would just be better to let it run a few days?

Upvote 0
A router has an "out" door and an "in" door
Data from the game going through the "out" door to a server, needs to have a destination, it can't do a u-turn and come back in through the "in" door, which is where your server is.
Their is a way of doing it,(called loopback) but why bother when you can connect through the lan.

I'm not a networking expert... but are you sure about this? In the past I've had two to three CoD2/4/5 servers running on my Server 2008 R2 box (sitting three feet away from my desktop client) and had everything connecting through a single router. I was able to use the external IP address of the gsme servers to connect my game client. I did not need to use my LAN IP in order to do so. Pings were always stupid low for my client - 10-15 on a bad day. I've never used the LAN IP to connect to any of my servers unless I was testing something. And I wasn't using the loopback address (127.0.0.1, right?), only the external IP address.

Cheers,

Shanny

Upvote 0
:cool:

A couple of days have past. My server is still running as intended. People that know the address can get on. The map re-direct works.

But... there seems not a hope of getting this thing to show up on any browser list that the public can read, short of inserting the address.

Perhaps there is someone among us who can list exactly the info the STEAM browser server, or in-game browswer server must acquire from mine in order to recognize it's existance, and thus list it. I could then conduct tests to see if this info is being transferred. Frankly, I would have thought STEAM's ability to accept my server address and quirey port would be enough, but maybe there is more involved. It has always distressed me that STEAM will not get a response from 63.231.255.46:7777, but will easily find 63.231.255.46:27015.
Is that normal?

Upvote 0