• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

AT guns / Mortars

Mautiks

Sep 14, 2011
I would like to see the implementation of AT guns and mortars (the light mortar in Rising Storm is a good start!). You already have heavy machine guns throughout the battlefield. But if you do deploy mortars, make it difficult to aim - make it to where they are most efficient when you have a spotter. AT guns and mortars and other crew weapons would be awesome. Even if you don't deploy them for RO2, please consider if you ever make a RO3.

Yep, would definitely be sweet. Having AT guns would be fun on a map with a few parallel 'alleys' where attacking tanks were sure to move into, and the AT guns would spawn randomly at a couple of those alleys, meaning the enemy won't always know where it'll be.

I even thought of a system I liked where instead of "mounting" the gun like you do with machine guns, you simply walk up to the different controls to operate them individually. Loading would be done by walking up to the ammo pile and then to the breach of the gun. That would allow for single users to operate as well as giving realistic incentive for teamwork, all the while not adding any extra animating or coding for multi-player crews.

The problem with medium and heavy mortars (the 8 cm granatwerfer and the 120 mm Soviet mortars) is that I assume they'll be stationary like the hmg's, so it will take a lot of vocal coordination with your team to be effective, something I fear will be lacking in public servers. Apparently people made it work in DH, but to what extent this would apply here I can't say.

The other thing I'd find weird, though which isn't a flaw in itself, is that there's already a mortar call-in, and something about having those two being the same weapon doesn't sit right in my noggin. But that's probably just me being pedantic.

Upvote 0
Actually the commander can call in a mortar barrage of large caliber mortars. Troop usable mortars would not have the barrage effect but rather a single mortar round per shot and would have to be coordinated by the various teammates to be effective and is something that should be added for the sake of realism and team play.

The AT guns would be awesome as well but would need some bigger maps and more tanks and vehicles added. The census is that the community doesn't want tanks, but I disagree with this. The few servers that have added some custom maps with tank battles are generally liked by those who play them and combined arms should be more widely implemented by TWI. The Eastern front did after all see some of the largest tank battles (and combined arms battles) in the entire war. Check out the battle of Kursk to learn more, as well as the battle for Selow Heights, and the push into Berlin Germany (where the German military pressed young members of the Hitler youth into service fighting with AT weapons).

Additionally when I play in various public servers there is always talk over voice about how we wish there were more tanks and vehicles. Add a half track with a mortar for a movable emplacement. The point is that there should be a steady increase of things implemented into the game not less. Pay attention to community wants, many of whom have been around supporting RO2 from the very beginning and even before. The game is running terrific now, its time we begin to add to what we have available in out arsenal don't you think?

Upvote 0
Would love to see this ingame. I don't know if anyone knows the ACE2 mod for arma 2, but is had a most realistic arty overhaul, and i and my friend wasted hundreds of hours spotting targets, calculating deflections and checking rangetables. then get the right fuse and unleash a inferno. even if we didn't always hit spot on, it was very satisfying seeing an enemy base crumble at the hands of one's math. it doesn't need to be this realistic, but a 2 man team of a spotter and a gunner would be fun to be part of.

Upvote 0
ACE2 was awesome. Nothing like being on the ground as a sniper scout in ARMA and calling back to your guns (ACRE was good too) giving them a grid coordinate
watching fire rain down, radioing back to adjust fire etc. To be fair though ARMA is more of a simulator than just a shooter.

I am excited for ARMA3, mortars, choppers, tanks, planes, and all. Last dev blog about current beta is the addition of ACE and ACRE into the games release rather than just a mod. RO2 has so many possibilities that could be done to make it the premier WWII shooter, the question is will they get it done. The community will only wait so long before they begin to look elswhere, and lets face it if a mod team ever takes ARMA3 and makes a decent WWII conversion (as was tried with ARMA2) it would be amazing hands down.

Though the ARMA2 WWII conversion had its issues it was still the epitome of a large scale WWII battle zone complete with infantry, tanks, TD's, and even planes. And with the new modeling in ARMA3 combined with the new graphics engine it would be amazing

Upvote 0