• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Are there plans to improve the bots?

shaBAM! said:
I would LOVE to see some improvements on the bots.

I'm not sure if ANY of this is possible.

For example waypoints for specific roles. On defense, waypoints that machine gunners move to to set up, waypoints that snipers move to, various places for rifleman, ect.

Then on the offensive, would it be possible to do something like, a rifleman moves to a waypoint behind a box or some type of cover. He waits there for say 30 seconds and fires on the enemy. If he isn't killed he moves to the next waypoint. Repeat until capturing all objectives.

I would think that this would be less work than making some full blown AI. I don't actually know to be honest, though.
Just a thought.

EDIT: I just want bots on offense to stop rushing objectives without stopping once to do something like prone or duck to fire a few times, it bugs me.

You know, thats not a bad idea, and it should be possible.

Assuming Tripwire has not made any radical engine changes and bot pathing is still done the UT2004 way, bots follow "path nodes", i dont think it would be too difficult to crate sub-classes of thease path nodes and make bot classes follow them, afterall its allready done with sniper spots in UT, if a bot comes to a sniper actor, and has a sniper weapon, they will switch to that weapon and try to snipe there.

If done more universal, possibly using a slightly modified code base from thease actors, you should in theory be able to make classes follow different path nodes.

Also, and this is the big one for tactics, one could expand on the actors and make all sorts of commands, like actors that tell bots to use cover where the actor is placed, or go prone where an actor is, alot can be done this way, and if used well by the mappers, using many paths to insure they dont allways do the exact same thing, you could get very good results with a minumum of CPU overhead.

Im not too sure about vehicles though, never had a good look at the bot code used for this.

Upvote 0
shaBAM! said:
In closing, I think bot improvements should be higher up on the dev's to-do list than they most likely are. Many servers have bots running on them, and later at night the majority of players are bots. Not to mention just making game more friendly to people without a fast internet connection.

This will probably :) be the last time I'll bump this thread.

Well said.

If quite a few servers have bots then this is a bad look for the game. I think bots, if included in a game, should be of a high skill level. ATM I'm hardly playing RO because it has a very small player base in NZ dispite our "advertising" it in the forums of other games. Now if the bots were good enough so that when the humans were not very plentiful in supply that I could still enjoy a good game with a few bots, this would not only increase my playing time to something worth mentioning, but also every one elses in countries where its hard to find a server with players.

For example:

How it could be:
oh, this server has 26 players in it, cool. Oh, only 4 are humans, the rest are bots. Oh well, because the bots in RO are really good so the humans could operate in commander/tank commander type rolls and I can still enjoy myself. Oh wots this?? Humans are joining the server and bots are being replaced by them. Sweet!

How it is:
A)Oh this server has 4 players in it, and the map is big, so I'm not going to play ATM because I'm not absolutely desperate for a game.
B)Oh, this server has 26 players in it, cool. Oh, only 4 are humans, the rest are bots. Well that sucks because the bots are thick as anything we're better off without them.

Upvote 0
Its good to find some people that agree. Bots are in fact a big deal, and if it was me, bots would be higher on my to-do list. Why even bother making gameplay improvements if you have no one to play the game with. Thats how I see it. There is certain times when you just can't find a good amount of people to play with, I really think there should be some type of substitution.

This is indeed an amazing game, Tripwire has done an exellent job on it, in my opinion its one of the best WW2 shooters ever. But with all of these moronic people with absolutely no pactience buying it and expecting Call of Duty style gameplay with a different setting.... you can't expect them to stick around long.

so maybe it wasn't the last time I bump the thread :cool:

Upvote 0
Where to begin?

Where to begin?

Hey folks.

So, does anyone have information regarding how to start modding these bots? I would love to help out with the effort since this is the most fun I've had in a FPS in forever.

If someone can post links to tutorials on how to work on bots for the version of UT engine this is using and then sticky this thread it would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
I don't think it is possible yet.

I don't think Tripwire has released the necessary modding tools. But if you can in fact determine the bots actions on path nodes then I'm probably going to take most of my free time to try and learn how to map. I would think it would require scripting to some extent, maybe someone could script (if thats even the correct term) a bot. That would be great.

Upvote 0